Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By JH02JLH
  • 1 Post By debz1
  • 1 Post By JH02JLH
  • 2 Post By debz1
  • 1 Post By PP76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 14:31

Default Restaurant review: Q11 Sep 2019

The last time we visited Pollenca the building where Q11 now sits was old and rundown and sported a banner saying "70 anyes d'injustica, 70 anyes de vergonya" which I was told related to some of the buildings in the town being left to fall into a state of disrepair.

Well, Q11 (or Onze?) now inhabits this old building and is very smart indeed. It's right next to Cafe Espanyol and the tables stretch across the square almost meeting those of its neighbour.

Tonight was hubby's birthday and we had tentatively planned on going to what was once Ca'n Costa, now Fogoneu. However, it closes on a Tuesday and when I looked at the menu I was a bit shocked by the prices, to be honest. Eating there would have cost us way over 200 euros and I know I would have been comparing it to the much-missed Ca'n Costa, which used to be my favourite restaurant in the whole world...

Anyway, we chose Q11 meaning "Q is for quality, and 11 is our magic number, which represents the synergy between creativity and the capacity for expression" according to their website, and it was a great choice for a celebration meal. The only problem was the influx of mosquitoes which, at the start of the meal, had a really great meal out of us!

We'd booked a table earlier in the evening and we were seated outside, although I think they have an upstairs dining area. The restaurant was really busy so we were glad we had reserved a table.

I ordered a bottle of white wine - Quibia from the Anima Negra winery. It was delicious, very fruity and easy-drinking so we ended up ordering another as Mike joined us for a change.

For starters we chose a range from the tapas menu - goats cheese on crusty bread for me, corn polenta and parma ham on toast for Sophie, pa amb oli for Hubby and Mike stuck with his fishy octopus theme.

Sophie reverted back to being a vegetarian for her main course, the vegetable risotto served with a parmesan crisp (although strictly speaking, parmesan isn't vegetarian!). The rest of us enjoyed suckling pig which was delicious and very deceiving, as it looked a small portion until you dived into it and pulled it apart. It then trebled in size! It was topped with crispy skin and was very tasty. Our suckling pigs were served with julienne vegetables and we were very happy with the presentation and overall quality of the food.

Although the mosquitoes were a problem (Sophie was bitten about ten times in the space of an hour) the reaction by the staff was wonderful. They handed out insect repellent for us to use and citronella candles to place on the tables. After a while they dispersed so whether it was a swarm, we don't know.

For desserts we chose panna cotta with a red berry coulis (Sophie and I, and not as good as Cantonet as I felt the fruit overpowered the delicate flavour), chocolate cake for Mike and an Irish coffee for Keith.

The restaurant seems very popular and tables were snapped up so it's best to reserve. They have a wine shop as well, but sadly we didn't go in. I wouldn't have wanted to be tempted by bottles that I was unable to carry home with me! Next time, maybe!

The bill was the most expensive of the holiday at 206 euros, but the wine at a pricey 25 euros per bottle contributed to that. We definitely recommend!
Sharonh, Sparky, Lorenzo and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 29-09-2019, 15:47

Giovanni who owns Onze also owns Fogoneu!
JH02JLH likes this.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:12

Ahh! That's very interesting and would explain why there was a poster on their building advertising Fogoneu!
debz1 likes this.
Old 29-09-2019, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH02JLH View Post
Ahh! That's very interesting and would explain why there was a poster on their building advertising Fogoneu!
We were going to go to Fogoneu last week as like you we used to love Ca'n Costa, but plans changed! I've heard great reports about the tasting menus at 35€ and 45€ so it's definitely one to do .. and on Thursday nights they have live bands.

Giovanni also has recently opened Marenita Beach Club within hotel Galeon in the Port so he is doing very well!
JH02JLH and Sharonh like this.
Old 29-09-2019, 19:37

Both are excellent😀
debz1 likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 15:37

We've had some great meals in the last couple of years at both QOnze and Fogoneu. The tasting menu at Fogoneu is pretty good value - the portions are generous too. Glad to see both these restaurants doing well after previous businesses on the same sites struggled - Giovanni clearly has a winning formula!
Old 01-10-2019, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
We were going to go to Fogoneu last week as like you we used to love Ca'n Costa, but plans changed! I've heard great reports about the tasting menus at 35€ and 45€ so it's definitely one to do .. and on Thursday nights they have live bands.

Giovanni also has recently opened Marenita Beach Club within hotel Galeon in the Port so he is doing very well!
And very nice it is. We went a walk along during the summer and were well impressed.
Old 24-08-2021, 17:50

Just an update as I went on sunday night. (4th time now, it is rather yummy)

The square was busy but we managed to get a walk in table for 4.

We sat down and were served fairly quickly by a young lady who wasn't really up for any banter (fair enough). We got our drinks and nibbles and noticed the leg was falling off the table so I rigged up a pad from 2 serviettes to jam the wobbly leg in place. We grabbed the attention of a waiter, we asked for 2 serviettes and beckoned him to look at the reason. He took a look, said "AH!" and scooted off... didn't come back with any serviettes.

Then the main course arrived and unbeknownst the waiter swiped my now empty beer glass. There were 5 waiting staff on (most standing around) and it took 5 minutes to get the attention of the maître de (in fact my partner shouted her over in spanish, she used to run a bar in Tenerife and doesn't use her bar room lingo that much) ... 10 minutes later my drink still hadn't arrived and my mates GF who just marched over and read the riot act to them (she works in purchasing so knows how to make things happen)... anyway, after that things started moving faster and we got a smile out the original waitress.

Summary - food still to die for but new staff were verging on useless.

Last edited by bobley; 24-08-2021 at 18:42.