Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree33Likes
  • 8 Post By Sparky
  • 5 Post By Rosie34
  • 2 Post By Gp1602
  • 2 Post By varsp
  • 7 Post By pollensafan
  • 5 Post By Sparky
  • 4 Post By copper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-2020, 15:19

Default Bar/Restaurant Closures - Coronavirus

Hola!

It’s in the news back here in rainy England that Spain is closing all bars and restaurants due to Coronavirus.

Are any of you luck ones already out there aware of anything actually happening or is it just hysteria in the uk press?

Thanks,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Old 14-03-2020, 17:53
Super Moderator

A few have closed, those that remain open were told yesterday they must close by midnight every night.

That said, things are changing very quickly and i suspect they will all have to close completely very soon. I fear many will never re-open .
Old 15-03-2020, 01:33

Ca’n Josep have closed until further notice, but are still doing takeaway paellas!

Last edited by Loz_eq; 15-03-2020 at 01:36.
Old 15-03-2020, 01:41
Super Moderator

Total lock down as of now . Some restaurants are saying they will carry on but only doing takeaways.

I usually try to be positive but i fear many of our favourite places will not survive this, my heart breaks for my many friends who have served us so well over the years, also i am really concerned for those who live alone and their only human contact is when they pop out for a drink/coffee or lunch/dinner.

The consequences on these vulnerable people are very scary, God forbid but i see a rise in the suicide rate, hope i am wrong and sorry for being gloomy but that's how i feel tonight .

Take care my friends .
Old 15-03-2020, 10:32

My thoughts exactly Sparky - I feel so sorry for all the restaurants and bars who rely on our visits and now are powerless 😢. And how the isolation will affect people. And this thing jus seems to have escalated so quickly. Stay safe.
debz1, Sparky, Grandad and 2 others like this.
Old 15-03-2020, 11:00

I feel the same. The effect of tourism changes and now this will leave local businesses on their knees. I hope it is not as bad as fear.
debz1 and Sparky like this.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:37

Our daughter , who lives in Barcelona, was sent home with her desk top computer in a taxi, and told to work from home. We were there for four day's last week, before the increased lockdown measures were put in place. It should have been this week, but the flights were cheaper last week,otherwise we may have been her lodgers for the foreseeable !
Sparky and Gp1602 like this.
Old 18-03-2020, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Total lock down as of now

also i am really concerned for those who live alone and their only human contact is when they pop out for a drink/coffee or lunch/dinner.

The consequences on these vulnerable people are very scary, God forbid but i see a rise in the suicide rate, hope i am wrong and sorry for being gloomy but that's how i feel tonight .

Take care my friends .

So Let me try to lift your spirits.
I've just seen the doctor because I cant stop singing Frank Sinatra songs.
He said, I'm sorry to tell you that you have Crooner virus.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:12

Default Bars and Restaurants may not survive.

looks like a number of restaurants and bars may no reopen after the pandemic is over which will cause great unemployment through out the Islands. I really feel very sad that these beautiful Islands my not get the number of visitors as before. Hotels in Palma are already righting off this season.
Old 11-04-2020, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&C@29 View Post
looks like a number of restaurants and bars may no reopen after the pandemic is over which will cause great unemployment through out the Islands. I really feel very sad that these beautiful Islands my not get the number of visitors as before. Hotels in Palma are already righting off this season.
As you can imagine almost all the locals here live form season to season working in hotels bars cleaning etc . This is now looking very desperate for many of these people . They should have started work last week or so and now have no prospect of staring .And as many places may not recover then they will hove no jobs to go to . If they had a contract they are getting basic unemployment. If they had no contract then Lord only knows how they will survive. The Church Food bank is inundated with new families who cannot cope
Please see my post re The church and needing help.
I know things in the UK and all over the world are bad but here there is no gov scheme guaranteeing wages for the seasonal worker here in PP and the Port
This is why I am here working with the Church to raise money to help . please if you can its time to give a little bit back to that place we all love and many of us call home now
If you can help to make it easy and fast to get the funds to the church I have set up a paypal account you can send money to this as friends and family then no cost involved the email adres you need to use to send via paypal is
astind2812@gmail.com

A number of you have already sent and is much appreciated yesterday I purchased a trolley full of easter eggs so at least many of the Children who are in lockdown in apartments ( No going for a walk her like the UK) Lockdown is very strict ) will have something to enjoy this easter
thank you
Old 11-04-2020, 13:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
As you can imagine almost all the locals here live form season to season working in hotels bars cleaning etc . This is now looking very desperate for many of these people . They should have started work last week or so and now have no prospect of staring .And as many places may not recover then they will hove no jobs to go to . If they had a contract they are getting basic unemployment. If they had no contract then Lord only knows how they will survive. The Church Food bank is inundated with new families who cannot cope
Please see my post re The church and needing help.
I know things in the UK and all over the world are bad but here there is no gov scheme guaranteeing wages for the seasonal worker here in PP and the Port
This is why I am here working with the Church to raise money to help . please if you can its time to give a little bit back to that place we all love and many of us call home now
If you can help to make it easy and fast to get the funds to the church I have set up a paypal account you can send money to this as friends and family then no cost involved the email adres you need to use to send via paypal is
astind2812@gmail.com

A number of you have already sent and is much appreciated yesterday I purchased a trolley full of easter eggs so at least many of the Children who are in lockdown in apartments ( No going for a walk her like the UK) Lockdown is very strict ) will have something to enjoy this easter
thank you
Sorry Phil but you are wrong, the Spanish government have brought in a number of schemes to help all workers who find themselves jobless, fair enough it's nowhere near what they would have been earning and of course they will still need a lot of help.

Last edited by Sparky; 11-04-2020 at 13:37.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Sorry Phil but you are wrong, the Spanish government have brought in a number of schemes to help all workers who find themselves jobless, fair enough it's nowhere near what they would have been earning and of course they will still need a lot of help.
Hi Lyn
the point I was trying to make is it is not like in the UK where the government are paying 80% of wages and jobs are almost all secure I know they have schemes here but You will also find that the people applying for these many I have spoken to have . As of today still have not received any money, We both know the wheels of the Government move very very slow here . And many here are in grave financial need here and now with no security going forward. And as you and I know are confined. Many in small apartments with children . They need some Joy even if only small just now. The spirit here is incredible and very humbling I wish all the people who are flouting the rules in the UK and other countries could see how amazingly resolute the people here are . Every Night at 8 they applaud and make noise for the front liners actually they should also be applauded for how they have handled this situation.
Old 11-04-2020, 15:09
Super Moderator

Yes Phil but you did say that there were no government schemes and that is the point i was making, it made it look like the government were doing nothing at all to help, which they are albeit too slow at times.

I love the community spirit here, neighbours are helping neighbours where they can and we all go out every night at 8pm to applaud and not just once a week as in the UK.

Also the police/GC are doing their bit to thank the people by driving around with their blues and two on, it is very uplifting for us all.

There are some on the island that flout the rules but that is mainly in Palma and Inca, it is good to see that the police crack down hard on them.

Stay safe and healthy my friend .
Lorenzo, Rosie34, fil6699 and 2 others like this.
Old 11-04-2020, 19:37

Not everyone is getting 80% of their wages and they are expecting 500,000 jobs to go in the Hospitality Industry Lots of people on Zero hours contracts nowadays Also a great number using Food Banks here

There is a great deal of community spirit here also So many offers of help to people also A lot of restaurants making meals for NHS staff every day The majority of people are also obeying the lockdown rules The newspapers always like to put the other side of the story out there We live in a National park and today we didnt see a single car heading to our village whereas normally would have been packed with people at Easter especially with the great weather we have at the moment

We love PP and hope to return sometime but June is looking increasingly doubtful Im afraid

Keep well all