Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   The Price of Fish (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/14056-price-fish.html)

Hanser 22-10-2018 13:51

The Price of Fish

After many years of eating out in Port de Pollença, we have been ripped-off by a restaurant for the first time.

We were charged 70€ for one medium-sized fish of the day. We questioned the bill but got nowhere; we've paid less for Michelin-starred meals in London.

Although the service and food was good, we will probably never go back there. Thankfully there are plenty of other good places to eat.

We learnt a simple lesson; always ask how much an unpriced dish will cost.

Please remember the Forum rules and don't try to name the restaurant here.

Sparky 22-10-2018 13:56

What kind of fish was it and was it for 1 person?.

Hanser 22-10-2018 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 124920)
What kind of fish was it and was it for 1 person?.

One John Dory about 30cm long, shared between two (meaning there wasn't very much meat to be had).

Total bill was 151€

Sparky 22-10-2018 15:47

WOW!! was that 70€ per person? :eek:.

Hanser 22-10-2018 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 124922)
WOW!! was that 70€ per person? :eek:.

NO! I'd have named names if it was!

The rest of the meal was reasonably-priced so that's what was so galling about the main course.

I suppose that I could have dealt with 20 to 25€ a head but 35€ each was beyond the pale.

I was more in the 'quality' camp than the 'quantity' originally but now I'm not so sure. Thankfully frozen pizzas are on special promotion at Hiper.

Sparky 22-10-2018 17:40

Well i think that is very expensive for John Dory but as you said we should always ask how much an unpriced dish will cost.

Bekki 23-10-2018 04:46

That happened to me a couple of years ago and exactly the same type of fish. I was surprised at how much we were charged and I tend now to stay away from this type of meal at restaurants as I am wary as to what I might be charged. I guess I should of asked approx price but just didn't think. I was so excited to get John Dory as this not a fish I would really buy or have at home.

Hanser 23-10-2018 08:40

When I asked why customers aren't told the price when they order, I was told this causes offence because it implies they might not be able to afford it.

mike_dublin 23-10-2018 09:28

Very underhand if you ask me.
A warning for all and a terrible rip off.

You're not alone though.

Quote:

"To charge for something that wasn't requested is against the law. But as long as they indicate the price of the fish, even if it is per kilo and not for the final dish, it is within the law," said Spain's consumer organization OCU.
from
https://www.thelocal.es/20150813/thi...ish-of-the-day

Hanser 23-10-2018 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bekki (Post 124926)
That happened to me a couple of years ago and exactly the same type of fish. I was surprised at how much we were charged and I tend now to stay away from this type of meal at restaurants as I am wary as to what I might be charged. I guess I should of asked approx price but just didn't think. I was so excited to get John Dory as this not a fish I would really buy or have at home.

To be clear, the automatic highlighting in your post is NOT the restaurant concerned.

Also, I don't think I have ever had reason to complain about a meal at any PP restaurant before.

Rockape 23-10-2018 10:04

To be clear, the automatic highlighting in your post is NOT the restaurant concerned.

Haha....I did see that and think it was rather unfortunate! :)

When I asked why customers aren't told the price when they order, I was told this causes offence because it implies they might not be able to afford it.

So, why didn't you ask what the price was?

Sparky 23-10-2018 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanser (Post 124927)

To be fair though, if it says POR (price on request) on the menu then it really is up to us to ask, that said i still think the price was very high, i have had fresh, whole JD here and never paid that much.

Hanser 23-10-2018 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockape (Post 124935)

So, why didn't you ask what the price was?

Because:

1. In the hundreds of times I've eaten out around the world, I've never been ripped off like this.

2. Of all places, I didn't expect such a high price in PP

3. I'm lucky enough not to have to worry about the occasional expensive treat

To be fair, they did offer us a couple of extra chocolates to compensate.

Rockape 23-10-2018 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_dublin (Post 124930)
Very underhand if you ask me.
A warning for all and a terrible rip off.

You're not alone though.

from
https://www.thelocal.es/20150813/thi...ish-of-the-day

Wow....looks like you got off lightly Hanser! :)

Tommo 23-10-2018 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockape (Post 124939)
Wow....looks like you got off lightly Hanser! :)

I used to quite like fresh fish. Gone right off it now.
Seriously ,for all you fish lovers out there ,try C'an Ferrar, the Sole is lovely.