Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By katsmum
  • 10 Post By joey36
  • 1 Post By P&C@29
  • 2 Post By car77
  • 4 Post By mike_dublin
  • 2 Post By joey36
  • 3 Post By Family Ordonez

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 14:00

Default Celler La Parra

There was something of Fawlty Towers about dinner at La Parra. We’d booked the day before, being told our table would have to be outside as all the inside ones were booked. So, we arrived. Bloke goes to check the reservation book. Yep, we’re in it. He then goes round all the tables, both inside and out - checking for the slip of paper with our name on it – and periodically going back to check the reservations book for goodness knows what. Nope, not there. Goes back to check the book again. Then seats us inside at a table for four (there are only two of us). Basil was back in action when we tried to get the bill – it involved two members of staff and about 20 minutes of finger tapping.

In between, dinner was eaten and it was fine. Frit Mallorqui was as decent an example as you’d want to come across. It was a generous portion of liver, potato, garlic, pepper and onion, with fennel fronds giving a little background herbiness. Pa amb oli was disappointing . Good bread but there no obvious garlic and very little evidence of oil. And tomato came in slices rather than something to be squidged into the bread. A travesty of the Mallorcan classic.

Entrecote steak was accurately cooked as requested. It came with simply prepared carrots, runner beans and cubes of fried potato. Suckling pig was also OK. Not the best I’ve had in Spain. Not even the best I’ve had in Mallorca. But no complaints from me. There were the fried potatoes and a handful of mixed salad to mop up the juices.

We passed on dessert and coffee.
Old 25-04-2016, 19:31

Cellar la parra is certainly quirky but food and service has been top notch when we've been and house wine is a bargain. We love the place
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 25-04-2016, 20:14

La Parra has been our top choice for a couple of years but on our recent trip we called on the day to book a table and was told it would be outside which was fine with us - under the pergola - and we had a great meal as usual. (perfect Lomo con Col). So we booked a table for later in the week at the same time and requested a table outside but when we arrived, first he couldnt find our name and then eventually pointed to a table right next to the counter and said 'this is yours'. We refused and said we had booked an outside table so he took us outside and put us on an unreserved table right next to the road. Thus ensued a very noisy meal right under the noses of people looking at the menu! So the jury is out at the moment - we'll give it another go next month and specify exactly which table we would like. But the food is good ..........
Old 26-04-2016, 13:20

They do appear to have some difficulty with the concept of customer service. A couple of years ago we passed by at about 7.30PM and thought we would like a glass of wine outside under the pergola before moving on to a table we had booked elsewhere - there were no customers at La Parra, either inside or outside. We explained to them that we would be no longer than half an hour as we knew they became busy later on. But our request was flatly, indeed rudely, refused - we asked if all the tables were booked and was told that they were not (if memory serves they were not even laid for customers), but that we could not have a drink there in the evening as they only served meals. This seemed rather inflexible to say the least - they serve drinks at other times - and also odd to turn business away, particularly as they were not in the least busy. The result of this encounter is that we have chosen never to eat there, so they lost potentially loyal customers that day.
Old 26-04-2016, 14:13

Default Cellar la Parra

Keep the bad reports coming,then I might be able to get a table without having to book a week in advance !!!
Old 27-04-2016, 09:29

Thumbs down Poor service

The cellar was one of our favorite places to eat but back in 2009 having sent an email to book a table on our first night and a conformation email back we were told on our arrival no booking made, I showed the reply email which I had taken with me he said it was not from him and walked away would never go back again.
annascotland likes this.
Old 27-04-2016, 12:02

I love the place and have never had anything but perfect service there. Always need to book a good few days in advance to get the table you want but never had any other problems. Only thing I would suggest is giving Mondays a miss as after a busy weekend they have sometimes not got all their menu dishes available!

Car 77
joey36 and Golfaholics like this.
Old 27-04-2016, 13:20

Don´t they close on Monday´s ?.

Re the bad service etc, I have always been looked after extremely well, but recently, I have got the impression that a key member of staff has his mind elsewhere, maybe due to personal problems, which may account for some of the slip ups.
Old 27-04-2016, 13:54

Not sure about any recent slip ups, but we've never had any of the problems described in the posts above in all the years we went there, often 2-3 times at each trip.

The head guy is always super friendly.
And the food has always been delicious.
Traditional food well cooked.
Even their sides improved over the years.

And who would love the house wine for that price ...
Old 27-04-2016, 13:57

Default Celler la Parra

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&C@29 View Post
The cellar was one of our favorite places to eat but back in 2009 having sent an email to book a table on our first night and a conformation email back we were told on our arrival no booking made, I showed the reply email which I had taken with me he said it was not from him and walked away would never go back again.
We too booked by email and were also told that they could not find the booking. I too showed the waiter the reply email and he immediately apologized and found us a table.The meal was delicious as usual and the waiter returned after our meal and explained that the fault lay with his brother who came across and apologized for the mix up in person and when we got the bill they had knocked 12 Euro off for the trouble. Good service indeed
Golfaholics and Gourmands like this.
Old 27-04-2016, 20:34

We absolutely love this place. Yes they don't always have everything on the menu, but we just choose something else. The food has always been wonderful and we have found the service and atmosphere superb. We have already booked tables for two nights on our visit in August, can't wait.
Golfaholics, Lorenzo and Gourmands like this.