Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree18Likes
  • 16 Post By joey36
  • 2 Post By annieh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 16:44

Default Trip Report Sant Antoni 2016 Part Two

Day 4. The soil for the bases having been delivered yesterday the building of the fires was complete and a number of roads were closed to traffic.Everything was set for the Sant Antoni celebrations tonight.
We had a walk around the town at about 7 o clock and bonfires,barbeques and bangers were everywhere.There was also a bagpipe,drum and whistle band,which added extra atmosphere as they followed the judges as they made their choice of which was the best fire (We never did find out who won) We stopped off at La Vall on the way round and both had Hamburger and chips which were very good.The bill including two drinks and the tip was only 25 Euro. By the time we had finished eating all the fires were alight and all the bars were full of people eating,drinking and having great fun.The celebrations went on deep into the night with fireworks still exploding at 7 o clock the next morning.

Day 5 We awoke next morning bleary eyed from the night before.Our intention had been to catch the bus to Formentor but we got up too late so we went to the beach to await the arrival of the pine.We were not alone.There was an almighty crowd gathering.Eventually the pine arrived on the beach,having been towed from Formentor by a small boat.
Ropes were attached and with fireworks loud enough to burst your eardrum going off every few seconds,the tree was slowly dragged off the beach and around the town by hundreds of men women and children. It was absolute chaos, especially as most of the men appeared to be a little tipsy.The tree did eventually reach the church square and after much tooing and froing was erected by a very large crane right in front of the church.
Now it had to be climbed but because the tree had been covered in soapy water this was proving to be a very difficult task We stood and watched for the best part of 2 hours but no one even reached half way up so we gave up and went home.
At about 7 o clock we decided to go out to eat and as we passed through the square the summit had still not been reached although there were still a few trying.It was still quite busy in the square so we decided to stay close and eat at Nostalgia ( another first ) Fish and chips for me,gammon for my wife,both meals were very good.About 30 Euro including two drinks and the tip.
As we returned home at about 9 o clock the pine had still not been climbed.We eventually found out - from the Mallorcan Bulletin - that it was conquered by two brothers just before 10 at night. A very long day.

Day 6 The only restaurant that we booked in advance was Celler la Parra.It had been closed for a few weeks and tonight was its opening night.We arrived at 1930 and people who had not booked were already being turned away.We both started with Frito Mallorquin ( which in my humble opinion is the best i PP) followed by roast suckling pig and pork loin in pepper sauce both of which were excellent.We also had a bottle of house red which for 5.50 Euro must be the best bargain in town.It tastes wonderful.Total cost abot 40 Euro i think.

Day7 Not being stupid we also booked Celler la Parra for our last night as well.Again the place was packed. Every table was taken and there was a great buzz about the place.We both started with Frito again followed by pork loin and roast shoulder of lamb all washed down with,youve guessed it,a bottle of house red.Both meals were of the highest quality but i still think that you cannot beat the lamb at Bar Coral.

Last day was a Wednesday so we nipped down to the market but it wasnt too impressive.Our taxi arrived on time and Ryanair got us home safely,ten minutes early.The flight was again full which must be good for business.

Overall we really enjoyed our first January trip to PP.I can have no complaints about Ryanair and the Sant Antoni celebrations were amazing.Although the choice of restaurants in the winter is limited we still managed to have excellent fayre.

I think we might be going again next year
pollensa, favie, CathB and 13 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 09:36

Thanks Joey for your report, every year I say to my husband, we must book for January, as it's my birthday the week before Sant Antoni...it would be a lovely birthday treat. However, we never do. This year though, I am determined! And even more so having read your report
joey36 and Sparky like this.