Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 13:44
Super Moderator

Angry Hell's Kitchen name change.

For quite some time now Ian David Jones, the owner of Hell's Kitchen has been under pressure to change the name of his restaurant. I have spoken with Ian and he told me that he has finally and very reluctantly had to concede to the "big boys" wishes .

So from now on Hell's will be known as "Liberty Kitchen Restaurant", this won't change what is a fantastic eatery, you will still get a warm welcome and great food at sensible prices.

And of course for a lot of us it will always be called Hell's, wishing Ian and staff all the best for 2016.
CathB, sws97sdg, joey36 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 28-01-2016 at 13:58.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-01-2016, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
For quite some time now Ian David Jones, the owner of Hell's Kitchen has been under pressure to change the name of his restaurant. I have spoken with Ian and he told me that he has finally and very reluctantly had to concede to the "big boys" wishes .

"big boys" not very nice
Sparky likes this.
Old 28-01-2016, 20:30

I must admit that the new name is better in my opinion.

Religious connotations aside, I think that "Liberty Kitchen Restaurant" also sounds a little more upmarket.

I've never been to the restaurant, but either way, I have been very impressed by the reviews it has received.

PS I'm not one of the "big boys". (Much as I would love to be able to claim to be so...)
Old 29-01-2016, 00:54

I agree - the name's always put us off too. Not sure the new alternative is the best they could have come up with - why the English name? it must limit the potential customer base - but definitely more inviting than the previous incarnation.
Old 29-01-2016, 01:10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
I agree - the name's always put us off too. Not sure the new alternative is the best they could have come up with - why the English name? it must limit the potential customer base - but definitely more inviting than the previous incarnation.
I guess it has an English name because it's English owned and serves traditional English food as well as some Thai and mediterranean dishes .
fil6699 likes this.
Old 29-01-2016, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
I must admit that the new name is better in my opinion.

Religious connotations aside, I think that "Liberty Kitchen Restaurant" also sounds a little more upmarket.

I've never been to the restaurant, but either way, I have been very impressed by the reviews it has received.

PS I'm not one of the "big boys". (Much as I would love to be able to claim to be so...)
The new name sounds a bit of a mouthful - maybe just Liberty('s) would have been more easily remembered. But it's only a name and it's the food and staff that are most important
ragdollabbi and Tangoman like this.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:27
Banned

I'm pleased they've changed their name as well. We eat there fairly regularly and enjoy the good "home cooking". Of course not everyone wants to eat British type food when they're abroad but I find it rather refreshing.

I never liked the original name and it was perhaps off-putting. I had hoped they would have changed the name when they changed their decor.

"Liberty" is not originally an English word. It comes from "liberte" which is French for freedom, being free from restraints and oppression. I wonder if the title was chosen deliberately by Ian. After all, he is a scouser and they are well known for their wit! It may also be a New York thing? He has several pictures of the place and "Statue of Liberty"?

Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll continue to visit.
Sparky, lollipop and Molt de Renou like this.

Last edited by Nick; 29-01-2016 at 10:30.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
The new name sounds a bit of a mouthful - maybe just Liberty('s) would have been more easily remembered. But it's only a name and it's the food and staff that are most important
I see your point Rosie and think it will get abbreviated to Liberty's just as people don't call it "Hell's Kitchen", it is just "Hells" and Celler La Parra is mostly called "La Parra".
But to many it will always be "Hell's" .
Rosie34 and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post

"Liberty" is not originally an English word. It comes from "liberte" which is French for freedom, being free from restraints and oppression. I wonder if the title was chosen deliberately by Ian. After all, he is a scouser and they are well known for their wit! It may also be a New York thing? He has several pictures of the place and "Statue of Liberty"?

Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll continue to visit.
You are spot on about it being a New York thing and the new decor reflects it but is is also because Ian feels some people have been taking liberties with him, as you say scouse humour .
Old 29-01-2016, 12:04

Interesting about the New York link - "Hell's Kitchen" is the name of an area in New York City.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:48
Banned

You're right. Funny how I bet so many of us probably thought of the Gordon Ramsay connection! I have to admit though it is sad though that he is forced to change the name. I mean, he's hardly a threat to the Gordon Ramsay "empire" is he!!!
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 29-01-2016, 14:09
Super Moderator

It just seems crazy to me, just like when the Daina was forced to change the name of their poolside bar from "The Orange Bar" to the "Lemon Lounge", but i suppose the big boys and their money will always win .
Old 29-01-2016, 14:15
Super Moderator

I would also add that this impacts on the little guys financially as it will cost them money and time to change the names on signs, websites, some advertising and probably licences .
Old 29-01-2016, 14:47

All the Facebook entries have been changed.
Sparky likes this.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I would also add that this impacts on the little guys financially as it will cost them money and time to change the names on signs, websites, some advertising and probably licences .
And their hard earned reputation over the years.
With feedback across different websites and portals.