Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 12:01

Default Mare Nostrum

There are 4516 restaurants in Mallorca which have been reviewed on Trip Advisor. And at No.1 is a place in Sa Pobla.

Yes, Sa Pobla. The place that's signposted to the right on the motorway roundabout where everyone turns left for Pollensa. The place that looks like an industrial wasteland when you drive through it. The place that looks closed.

Try doing a search for Mare Nostrum on here and nothing shows up. Have a look on Trip Advisor and you'll find review after ecstatic, gob-smacking review.

So last night, armed with sat nav (you'll need it!), we threaded our way through the anonymous streets of Sa Pobla to find Carrer Ric. It's situated almost exactly in the middle of nowhere. Next door to nothing.

Blink and you'll miss it. But shut your eyes and you're in heaven.

Mare Nostrum has been open for three years. It's run by a young Mallorcan couple and the food is simply sublime. Cris the maitre d' is one of the most charming hostesses you could meet. Hubby is in the kitchen producing 7 breathtaking courses of simply astonishing food whilst she - and she alone - takes care of the guests.

The food is indescribably good, so really what's the point in trying to describe it here? But I'll try.

First course was a chilled melon soup flavoured with Basil. It was genuinely unlike anything we'd ever tasted before. There was guinea fowl in a pastry like a spring roll served with fig sauce. There was a magnificent canard of duck with fruit sauce. There was a raspberry and lemon sorbet which defied description. A piece of fish cooked to perfection .... a trio of desserts which was the best I've tried on the Island

The courses just kept on coming. Each served with a smile more broad that the the last; each creating an impression that we were experiencing something very special; each of them utterly delicious.

And then there was the bill.

Twenty five Euros a head for the 7 courses. No that's not a mis-print, it's not a mistake. 25 Euros each for the No.1 Restaurant in Mallorca.

Mare Nostrum is just another in a new breed of Mallorcan restaurants. Just like Santi Taura at Lloseta it's a tasting menu with no choice. The chef chooses the best daily ingredients and then works his magic.

It's not to everyone's taste. But for this who really appreciate simple food cooked to perfection, it's worth making the right turn at that roundabout.
pollensa, debz1, joey36 and 15 others like this.

Last edited by graham; 04-09-2015 at 12:03.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 12:07
Founder

Sounds interesting. Do you need to book?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:16

Yes. It was completely full last night.
Old 04-09-2015, 16:26

Great review Graham....never been to this restaurant, but read about it on TA...I've been to the town on market day - it's real market. I love this type of Mallorcan town, this area is very agricultural, and the town is the centre of this area. They produce alot of potatoes for UK supermarkets during the winter.
Anyone who hasn't been should give it a try - but don't expect a pretty town like Pollensa or Alcudia.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:37

Whenever I have been to Sa Pobla it has been closed.....Sa Pobla that is.
graham likes this.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:51

Thank you Graham for the great review. Ive been meaning to post to see if anyone had been to Mare Nostrum, ever since one of the waitresses in la Llonja
(back in June) was telling me how amazing it was.

Is it actually in their house? This is what was implied by the waitresses description .We have been planning to go and now our minds have been made up. I'm booking straight away
Old 05-09-2015, 09:55

That sounds amazing - worth going to Sa Pobla for and it isn't far away after all. Is it possible to make substitutions on the tasting menu, I wonder - my husband is a very fussy so-and-so whose list of foodstuffs he refuses to eat gets longer each year....
Old 05-09-2015, 21:31

It is in their house, that's why it's hard to find, but they've made it absolutely wonderful.

I'm sure if you email Cris beforehand they would make substitutions on the menu. She e mailed me to ask if we had any preferences or allergies.
Old 05-09-2015, 23:51

It is a superb restaurent especially for people who are into food ,Sa Pobla is our favourite town away from the Port ,it was obviously very rich many years ago & is worth a walk round for the fading architecture alone.
There is another restaurent called Mister Green in a splendid courtyard which is also reccomended.
Plus the free jazz concerts in August are unmissable.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26

Tried to book today and first available date is September 24th!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:09

Wow! How great that they're doing well though. We will definitely have to go.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:47

We went to my sisters wedding reception hear mid August all i can say is wow the food the surroundings the hostess all amazing .
Old 09-09-2015, 23:15

Great review Graham - we tried to book the day after your review and were told they had no availability until Sept 23rd ..... Note to self ..... Make a booking at least 6 weeks prior to our next visit
Old 11-09-2015, 10:47

Just tried to book for one evening when we are out in October (10th - 18th) and have received an email back saying sorry they are closed between 11th and 21st........lucky white heather. Oh well looks like we need to try next time
Belladonna likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 00:14

Thumbs up

Made it! After doing a dry run in daylight a couple of days ago, we found it easy enough to drive there tonight, admittedly counting the roads in Sa Pobla to make sure we found a road to park in. Most of Sa Pobla is one way, which is usually the wrong way you want to go! Everything you have read is spot on. The restaurant door belies what is inside. A beautiful little courtyard which would be perfect for summer eating. But as its November we were seated inside in wonderful surroundings of high stone walls, billowing drapes and romantic candles. The restaurant only seats around 22 indoors, hence the difficulty with booking. Cris is a wonderful hostess, and her husband is a star chef! The food was brilliant, and every customers face was a picture with every new taste! I have photos on my Facebook page for those who can get it. The whole meal took about 3 hours, we were not rushed, but neither was there a wait between courses, it was perfectly timed. They have got it just right all round! We will certainly go again for the summer tasting menu, and a courtyard table no doubt.
CathB, snowy2007, carl1955 and 2 others like this.