Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Trip Report Summer 2015......Part 1 (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/12344-trip-report-summer-2015-part-1-a.html)

martinchip10 04-08-2015 14:32

Trip Report Summer 2015......Part 1

Finally, I have got round to writing our trip report for our holiday in PP. Since returning I have been busy job hunting, which last week culminated in success.

Anyway, onto the more important stuff.

We were to be in PP from June 21st until July 2nd and and usual I had booked the night before along with 12 days car parking, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Luton.
This all went smoothly and was very comfy and we took the transfer to the airport.
Now, as soon as I step foot through those revolving doors at Luton is when the holiday actually begins and I turn into HolidayMartin with a permasmile. Nothing can get me down on holiday, although Debs does try her best.

Breakfast at Frankie and Benny's was splendid and after a quick shifty around the shops, it was finally onto the plane.

Now, I don't have many situations that I feel superior to others, but when I walk onto the plane and point excitedly at the EXTRA LEG ROOM seat that I will be sitting in, is one of them.

Flight was super and was only 1 hour 45 minutes due to the wind ( not mine ). We walked through the airport mentally flicking " V " signs at the people waiting to return home. A positive world record wait at the baggage reclaim of only 30 minutes before it began to move, and we got our baggage and left, pausing briefly to say prayers for the poor people in the Record Car Hire queue, whose holiday will be half over by the time they get to the front and be forced to purchase every available insurance Record can make up.

Resort Hoppa transfer took only 40 minutes although we were waiting 50 minutes on the coach before we departed. We were dropped off outside Daina only to receive a phonecall from the lady who was due to meet us to hand over the apartment keys, explaining that as it was a nice day, she had gone to Alcudia for lunch and had left the keys at the restaurant.

We were staying at the apartment directly above Los Faroles again and after picking up the keys were in. A quick change and we were off to our traditional first day lunch at C'an Pescador at the start of the Pine Walk. We had two Club Sandwiches and chips with 2 beers for me and half litre of sangria for Debs. Lovely food in a great setting and friendly service from the lovely blonde waitress who always remembers us. Cost of 32 euros.
Off we went for a tour of the local Spar shops for the required necessities of gin, beer, tonic bread, water and crisps. Back at the apartment I was ordered to make G and T's as I am the best. A shower and a quick siesta and we were off out to our favourite restaurant, Nico's, for our traditional first night meal of Quesadilla Pollo Loco for me and Quesadilla Chilli for the lady. We were welcomed again with hugs and kisses ( not kisses for me )from Fran. Marcos had a day off but I joked that I saw him washing dishes in Dakota!! Meal was washed down with a lovely cold bottle of Senorio De Sarria Rosado. All for 42 euros.
We have been eating at Nico's for 13 years and find the food and service excellent and a great place to watch people walk past numerous times as they search for a place to eat.
Finally, off to Bony's for JD and Coke for me and G and T for Debs. Again, hugs were dished out by the two lovely waitresses and I was given a death stare by Debs as my hug with my favourite waitress went on just a little too long. Apparently.

We had decided that we would not hire a car this year and that we would beach it every day bar Sunday, so on Monday after breakfast on the balcony I was despatched to get a decent sunbed. Debs joined about 45 minutes later due to what I can only guess was a particularly hard Sudoku puzzle.
13 euros were despatched to the " man " as he became known and sun was soaked up and it was soon time for lunch.
We chose La Cabana as we had never been there. We shared the set tapas for two with wine and beer and sat out the front, not realising there is a beautiful garden terrace out the back. The food was very nice but the service was quite slow, but my smile still remained. Cost of 29 euros and we had hoped to come back for the tapas route later.
Back to the beach for a few more hours and a swim in the lovely calm warm Med and back to the apartment at 5pm.
Early evening routine of G and T's, shower and siesta and we were off out to dinner.

We have over the years we have absolutely loved Martin's food at La Goleta so thought we would go for a maiden visit to Cafe Eolo as he is there now.
We ended up a little disappointed as the service from the younger waitresses was very slow.
I used to have Paletilla de Cordero at La Goleta so plumped for the slices of lamb and Debs had the Aubergine and Tumbet.
There was plenty of food for us both but the lamb was extremely salty and Debs food was very tasteless, so she left a fair bit. To cheer ourselves up we thought we would have two cafe Calypso's as that could surely not go wrong. If only.....
Three times we had to send back various styles and glasses of coffee ranging from an expresso with some tia maria in a glass, to a white coffee with tia maria in a glass. Eventually Martin came over and sorted out the problem and apologised. When they arrived they were lovely.
Overall, we were disappointed with the food and service so will not be going back next year. Cost 55 euros including a bottle of white.
Off to Bony's to console ourselves with cocktails.

Tuesday, we again beached it all day and lunch was at another place we had not been to before, Simbad.
At 11.30 I arrived at Casa Manolo to hopefully meet some forum members. I walked in but could not hear any English accents so I sat outside in the square for a few minutes on a bench and was soon joined by a Spanish school kid who had a momentous strop of Debs proportions as he refused to play with his fellow classmates for some reason. What I found interesting was that the teacher just ignored him instead of pandering to him. Note to self to attempt this next time Debs has one.
We had three toasted sandwiches between us with two beers and a glass of wine all at a cost of 19 euros. The food was as expected as you cannot really go wrong with toasties and the service was OK, nothing more, nothing less, although when we walked past a few days later, the older waitress was wearing the same shirt with the same stains on it from today.
Dinner that evening was at our find from last year, El Meson.
Despite its location it provides superb food and great friendly service and excellent value. We had menu 3 consisting of pa am boli, Mahon cheese, prawns in garlic, patatas bravas, calamari, albondigas with desert interestingly actually called pudding, water, coffees and a bottle of rose wine. Cost 44 euros.
Excellent food and I would recommend that people pull themselves away from the sea front and square and try this place. You will not be disappointed.

Wednesday was beach again and we lunched for the first time at C'an Balache. I had said on this forum that now I know where it is, I would try it out and introduce myself.
We sat down and I introduced myself to Tony and mentioned the website. The place was busy outside. We chose tapas consisting of spicy wings, chorizo in red wine, butterfly prawns which Debs loved, calamari and patatas bravas with two beers and two wines. All for 31 euros.
Very nice food and good service too.
Dinner that night and we popped downstairs to Los Faroles. Debs really likes the fish in this restaurant but I have had a couple of gristly steaks over the last few years so I chose the Paletilla de Cordero with veg and the lady had Golden Bream with prawns and veg.
This food was really really nice and there was plenty of it too. Very tasty with lovely subtle flavours. We had some lovely sorbets for dessert and a bottle of Mortitx Rosado to imbibe.
The service was top class but is one of those places where I order and speak in Spanish and they speak back to me in English!!! Bill came to 55 euros and off we went to Bony's to people watch.

Thursday was again beach and this time we went to Santa Fe for lunch. I am not a big burger fan but the chicken burger here is excellent and it is a nice new place too with good friendly service. Debs had the chicken sandwich and we had 2 beers and a wine to drink at a cost of 28 euros. Nice food.
Thursday night is the Tapas Route so I will write about that on its own thread.

After spending Friday morning at the beach we tried La Nonna which is where the old C'an Josep used to be.
I had a lovely pizza and two beers and Debs had the tuna and prawn salad which was bland, with a glass of wine. All standard fayre and cost of 32 euros however the service was not up to the standard we had become used to at C'an Josep and the sangria from pretty poor so we will not be going back there next year. We took a walk around the marina and bumped into the owner of the apartment we were renting and he mentioned he eats at Stay at least three times a week so now we know where our money goes too. He also mentioned he owns the block that Los Faroles is in and rents it out to them. Tough life eh???
After an afternoon at the beach we dined at Nico's. Marcos was there tonight and after more hugs I enjoyed my best meal of the holiday by means of one of their Utah steaks. An excellent cut, large, thick and cooked to pink juicy perfection. This is around 22 euros but if you are a carnivore I would highly recommend it. Debs enjoyed her ribs and we had another bottle of Senorio De Sarria Rosado and water. A lovely meal in what is probably our favourite restaurant a d a cost of 55 euros.
Bony's beckoned us in for some night time beverages and off we went home.

Disorderly 04-08-2015 17:35

Fantastic review.....excuse me, I'm off to Part 2!