Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Trip Report June (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/12322-trip-report-june.html)

scotslizzy 24-07-2015 10:31

Trip Report June

Trip Report

Better late than never. This is our report of our trip in June.

Conde Taxi from airport to hotel Daina and as ever prompt and efficient service. Used Resort Hoppa on way back to save a bit of money but had a hassle with them which thankfully Alex on Reception at Daina sorted for us.

Anyway to food.

First stop was to Brisas Marina for Paella which up until this one I was not a favourite of.
I now stand corrected, loved it, not too salty and all fish (our choice) with a nice chilled bottle of Albarino. Could not believe the number of locals in this place and also witnessed our first carry out Paella, quite a few actually. Thank you Doogz for recommending this one.

Pre-booked Stay for our first night and as usual did not disappoint. It was really busy and were glad we had booked .Stuck with the menu of the day and started with assorted vegetables in a tempura better followed by hake in a cream sauce with potatoes. Now over the years we have come to realise that the dessert on a menu of the day, no matter what restaurant we are in, rarely delivers in terms of flavour although eye appeal can deceive. So we did not have this as the Paella at lunchtime had really filled us up. Can’t fault what we had and Stay consistently delivers in terms of location, ambiance and value for money. Love that you always get your choice of liqueur at the end of the meal instead of being given what the restaurant provides.

Lunch next day was Hotel Bahia for my fav red peppers stuffed with seafood and garlic prawns to share with hubby.Both these dishes are starter sized. For mains he had tuna salad which was deemed ok. Not proper tuna but the tinned variety, fine for what it was.

Dinner was another new one for us Marina Brasserie nearly beside our Hotel .Now why I have not been here before I cannot say but we both loved this place. Excellent quality food with a Thai influence. I had seabass stuffed with prawns in a spicy sauce and it was to die for. Hubby had the beef in a piquant black bean sauce (I think) and he said it was worth every Euro. Dessert was fine but only one place for me for chocolate soufflé and that’s IRU.
Went back on two occasion for lunch and sampled burger and fries and then a Tuna salad (proper Tuna ) really good.

Sandwiches at Daina pool for lunch and some french fries did the trick.
La Lonja for dinner ,al a carte, and we shared a plate of prawns in tempura batter then Hake and prawns for me and steak for hubby .We both had desserts crème brulee and white and dark chocolate mousse with berries. Mmmm .Stuck to Albarino (which we did nearly every night ) . Again coffee and liqueur of your choice .so good that we went back here on our last night.

Now to our other new place. La Celtika OMG expensive but food was on a different par from other places. We did the tasting menu and I just asked for no pork or lamb and left them to deliver sublime dish after dish with an appropriate wine to compliment the food. I particularly recall a scallop dish on a bed of purple pureed potato with I think a cider sauce around the plate. Delicious. Again thanks to Doogz for this recommendation (you see I do take note of the info on the forum!).It’s small enough to cope with the number of people it can cater to without losing quality which is what it is all about in this establishment.

A wee lunch on our balcony courtesy of al fresco deli and a bottle of rose.
IRU for dinner and I love coming back to this place well run and always good quality. Parmesan risotto with truffles to share and ten more fish for us both turbot for me and sea bass for him with the appropriate accompaniment’s. The to finish my chocolate soufflé with a small dish of custard/crème anglais .Yummy.

Another balcony lunch from al fresco deli different sandwiches and more wine.
To Osteria 15 after a drink in Bonys . We had not booked but they did manage to squeeze us in and a thoroughly enjoyable meal we had. Gazpacho to start for us both and then I had the lobster ravioli which really delivered on flavour. Hubby had seafood linguine. No desserts as we were both full. The place was jumping as we left around 10.30 so they must be doing alright.

Lunch cantina del ray ? which was a fish tapas affair with a jug of Sangria . Very nice it was too. We went here a couple of times for a pre dinner drink as we enjoyed sitting watching the yacht’s coming into the harbour. A lovely man serving drinks and his wife ? cooking. Just nice.

La lonja for our last night as ever. What can I say, I don’t think I have ever had a bad experience here and this time was no different. Prawns of the Bay followed by cod in garlic no dessert as we had a date at the Cabin for a final ice cream. The little festival was on o our last night and the atmosphere around the harbour was lovely. We left La Lonja just as the mountains across the bay were going that red colour. I know that there are lots of places in the back of PP that do equally good food but for someone coming from the West of Scotland where the summer as been non existent I do not begrudge paying a wee bit extra for the views ad being able to sit outside to eat.

Did miss going to Siller (but it was closed for some reason when we went along? ) and O’Lume (sniff sniff) .Need to get back to El Posito as well but that will be next year.

Special mention to the Cabin/Hut for their ice cream which I sampled almost on a daily basis !

Scotslizzy

mike_dublin 24-07-2015 11:46

Thank you for the fantastic trip report. :)

debz1 24-07-2015 11:47

Great trip report scotslizzy:)

I agree with you that La Lonja have got it absolutely right whether you go MDD or a la carte, and the setting is just beautiful on the terrace overlooking the harbour.

La Celtika is a must for us to try in September after the rave reviews. I love a tasting menu as I always have 'plate envy' when I eat out and usually want what someone else has ordered :p

scotslizzy 24-07-2015 12:06

La Celtika

Should have stated that we choose the tasting menus plus the wines to match so around 140 euros but worth it. Obviously a bit cheaper if you pick one bottle of wine

Scotslizzy

Tangoman 24-07-2015 12:09

Yes, a great report Scotslizzy - starving already!!

Just as a matter of interest, because I too would like to "treat" myself with the tasting menu at La Celtika - just how much did it cost , and for how many courses?

Doogz1874 24-07-2015 12:17

Thanks for the trip report - I'd noticed you had responded to the top 5 restaurants thread and was hoping we'd see the trip report soon :)

Not sure I can take any real credit for Brisas Marina - it was more likely I was recommending their sister restaurant 'Los Faroles' but I think they offer similar menus and quality.

However, I'm delighted you gave the tasting menu at La Celtika a go - it is a more expensive night compared to over local restaurants but for the quality on offer it's still good value for money...... especially when we have a favourable exchange rate :)

Sparky 24-07-2015 12:20

Lovely trip report, thanks for sharing :D.

Doogz1874 24-07-2015 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangoman (Post 105531)
Yes, a great report Scotslizzy - starving already!!

Just as a matter of interest, because I too would like to "treat" myself with the tasting menu at La Celtika - just how much did it cost , and for how many courses?

When I was there in May it was 5 courses + an Amuse Bouche for €45 per person and an extra €25 pp for matching wine. As far as I remember their wines are fairly expensive so for me it was well worth paying this to get matched wines. :)

Tangoman 24-07-2015 12:30

That's fine - so, one tasting menu, and a packet of cheese n' onion!!! That's us sorted/.!!!

Disorderly 24-07-2015 17:18

Great report.....thanks. Booked at La Celtika for tomorrow, so very interested to try this as its new to us.

copper 24-07-2015 18:16

Im with you Scots Lizzy re the outside seaside eating !

We may live in the south of England but lovely evenings are few and far between ! Last weekend in Swanage we did manage to eat outside in seafood Restaurant 3 nights in a row but it has rained all day at home today !!

We looked at La Celtika and liked the Menu but it was very hot when we were there in June no breeze and people from the bar opposite seemed to be spreading across the alleyway so it didnt look very inviting

Love Stay and La LLonja and as we love the salads in Tolos we ate there a few times I think we need colder weather to do justice to some of the other Restaurants ! I must admit Osteria seem to fit people in better than anyone else Saw 3 members of staff move tables chairs to create table for 8 when the place had been busy anyway without disturbing the rest of the diners Deserve to do well

We are over in September as well so we will try a few new ones again Did really enjoy the Paella at SolyMar this year