Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 16:22

Default 365 (3/65 - at the Son Brull Hotel), June 2015

By a long stretch, this was the best meal we ate in the Pollensa port/town area on this trip. Without doubt, it must be knocking on the door of gaining a Michelin star – certainly I can think of starred places where the food is not up to this standard.

As you’d expect at this level of cooking, things kicked off with an amuse bouche. It looked like a tomato in the bowl but, in fact, it was only the stalk that was real. The rest was cod encased in a tomato jelly. A little pesto flavoured olive oil in the bowl and a thin, tiny slice of crisp bread. Clever and absolutely delicious. Our bouches were definitely amused.

There was a starter of red prawns but they weren’t the star of the plate. That went to two thick slices of “Cor de Bou” tomato – perhaps the most tomatoey tomato we’ve ever tasted. There was tomato as well in the sauce which was decorated with a scattering of fish roe.

I’d usually think of gyoza as a Japanese snack. Here, they become very Mediterranean, with the little parcels stuffed with long cooked pork cheek. The sauce is based on dates – very rich with the sweetness nicely balancing the richness of the pork. A couple of slices of truffle were intended to bring a further hint of luxury but I confess to being a bit of a Philistine when it comes to truffles and never quite “get it” with them.

Loin of lamb was perfectly cooked at medium rare. It had a fine flavour that was enhanced by a little honey glaze. It came with roasted baby aubergine. No sauce as such, but an aubergine puree pretty much did the same job. This was one of the best lamb dishes I’ve eaten in a long time. Hake was as delicious as it was brilliantly conceived. Two thin fillets sandwiched a mushroom duxelle and were then topped with a herb crust. They sat on a potato puree. Wilted bok choi provided an interesting pit of asian greenery to an otherwise very European dish. Really good.

The only real miss of the evening was with the pre-desseret which was a banana cream, topped with a foam. You couldn’t really detect any banana which did make it all a bit pointless. Is there ever a point to a foam?

They’re not big on menu description so, for desserts, we ordered “Apricot” and “Lemon” not knowing what to expect. “Lemon brough a sweet/sharp lemon curd and a lemon ice cream, decorated with soft Italian meringue. “Apricot” also featured the meringue along with fresh apricot, apricot ice cream, little cubes of sponge cake and a couple of “bubbles” of apricot juice. The bubbles are quite a fashionable cheffy thing – you drop blobs of your juice into a chemical solution which sets an outer skin on them , so that they pop when you put them in your mouth. It's the sort of cleverness that gets you the attention of the Michelin inspectors.

There’s good coffee, of course. And excellent petit fours – an outstanding fruit jelly and a really rich dark chocolate truffle.

We went away two very happy campers. If you’re going to go, then go soon – before they get that Michelin star and whack their prices up.
Old 29-06-2015, 21:20

The food sounds great. A strange question to ask I know, but what was the decor like? When we were there a few years ago, the only eye catching thing on the wall was the fire extinguisher! Have they redecorated now?
Old 29-06-2015, 21:37

What colour was the fire extinguisher - these reviews are getting better and better!!
debz1, Belladonna and Sparky like this.
Old 29-06-2015, 21:45

Ha ha! I said it was strange!
Old 30-06-2015, 13:05

'Tis indeed perhaps the oddest response I've ever had to a review. I'd love to be able to give an answer but dinner was on the terrace where, I hope, there would be minimal risk of fire.

However, by way of being my usual hepful self, I'm reminded that in an earlier (pre-retirement) life I had responsibilities for health & safety at work. My recollection is that, whilst British extinguishers had different colours for different contents, European mainland ones were always red. That's some years back, so not only might my memory have failed but things may have changed. I love the idea that you might be able to colour co-ordinate your life saving equipment.
pollensa and Belladonna like this.
Old 30-06-2015, 15:41

To be honest, I wish I'd never asked now! To be clear, it was red, and therefor stood out like a sore thumb on the otherwise dark and bare walls. There was no art work then, so I was just wondering if there was any now! Perhaps that's the question I should have asked, rather than mention the flipping fire extinguisher!!
kate1, Rosie34, pips and 1 others like this.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30

Another fantastic review, Harters - they are much appreciated! We've never visited 365 but we are going to have to now (if only to see the famous fire extinguisher!)

I'm not a fan of truffles either - they have a horribly earthy smell/taste that always reminds me of stale sweat. But everything else sounds amazing!
Belladonna likes this.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:56

Thanks so much for these reviews Harters. I am hungry, jealous and excited for our trip all at once!
kate1 likes this.
Old 01-07-2015, 18:07

May I say what an excellent resume of ones comestible intake whilst on vacation.
Old 01-07-2015, 23:49

Just to say that I have actually found a photo of the dining area showing the famous red fire extinguisher! Unfortunately its in JPEG form and on my Picassa storage, so I have no way of working out how to show it here! (Have to say it doesn't look quite as bad as I remember it! )

OK. I have managed to put it on my flickr photos. I have a feeling I'm going to regret this - hot night, too much white wine and ice! ;-)
cumberland8 and Tangoman like this.

Last edited by Belladonna; 02-07-2015 at 00:03. Reason: Photo put on flickr
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39

Can you reveal the cost? For the food and wine, not the extinguisher !!
Belladonna and Tangoman like this.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00

Default Extinguisher Ruta

Sparky,

Is it true that there is a new initiative called an "Extinguisher Ruta", to be run on a Friday nights - after 1.oo p.m. and a few drinks - organised by B**l***nna?????

Tee Hee!!
Belladonna likes this.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11

lol, the extinguisher is quiet prominent isn't it!!
LK1960 and Belladonna like this.

On island time!!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:14
Super Moderator

Very funny Tangoman but i think we should stop with the jokes now as it's not fair to Harters who took the time to write an excellent review of this restaurant.

Klad1 i just Googled the Son Brull and it is quite expensive .
LK1960 likes this.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:18

Yep,OK.
No problem - I have pushed it to the limit somewhat.

And as you quite rightly point out, Harters reviews were all brilliant.
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 1 others like this.