Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I believe there have been issues with Valls and Cafe 1919 so maybe this has something to do with the move .
The ice cream hut is iconic, part of the charm and heritage of Puerto Pollensa, IMO.

It’s really sad and significant news that the hut is to be ‘no-more’. Methinks the hut was in place well before Cafe 1919 was created, so a few questions come to mind.

Who owns Cafe 1919, private individual or a corporate group ?
Why can Cafe 1919 seemingly ‘call the shots’ ?

I’m sure the ice cream hut-people will do well in their new shop, but it won’t have the same uniqueness as the hut. Sad news.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-06-2015, 11:38
Super Moderator

I could be wrong but i think Cafe 1919 is part of the Australian Boulevard/Tex Mex group
JMD40 likes this.
Old 24-06-2015, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I could be wrong but i think Cafe 1919 is part of the Australian Boulevard/Tex Mex group
You're correct Sparky. Grupo Boulevard are a Playa de Muro based corporation.

According to their website, in addition to Luxury Villa sales and rentals, they own the Voss chain of shops seen around the north of the island along with Café 1919, the Dakota and Santa Fe Tex Mex restaurants, C'an Pescador at the start of the Pine Walk, O'Haras and the Australian Boulevard pubs to name but a few.

They also used to own Los Pescadores restaurant on the Pine Walk but redeveloped that into an apartment building now called Edificio Boulevard where a certain famous cyclist now lives a lot of the time.
Sparky, JMD40 and Lorenzo like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 24-06-2015 at 13:16. Reason: Direct link removed.
Old 24-06-2015, 13:20
Super Moderator

Yes and they used to have the small Tabac shop opposite Nostalgia but during the winter they sold the licence and now it just sells booze etc .
Old 24-06-2015, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Grupo Boulevard are a Playa de Muro based corporation.

According to their website, in addition to Luxury Villa sales and rentals, they own the Voss chain of shops seen around the north of the island along with Café 1919, the Dakota and Santa Fe Tex Mex restaurants, C'an Pescador at the start of the Pine Walk, O'Haras and the Australian Boulevard pubs to name but a few.

They also used to own Los Pescadores restaurant on the Pine Walk but redeveloped that into an apartment building now called Edificio Boulevard where a certain famous cyclist now lives a lot of the time.
Flipping heck James! That's a bomb shell to me! Its always a surprise and a bit of a disappointment to find out that places I assumed were individuals are actually part of a "chain" of some sort, and branching out all the time! Makes it hard to know if you are supporting a private enterprise or not!
James, JMD40, pollensafan and 1 others like this.
Old 24-06-2015, 15:29

Such a shame the hut has gone. Very special. I remember walking my daughter along the pinewalk when she was young to get an ice cream there. It will be interesting to see if Café 1919 increases their "terrace" substantially now.
Old 24-06-2015, 17:08

There used to be an icecream shop where Marina cafe is now...was that Valls or something else

Eating Out
Old 24-06-2015, 20:54

They did have a shop previously and I think it could have been there, but not sure.
Old 24-06-2015, 22:23

Just one more cornetto? Sadly no more, what a shame. Have always loved going to the 'hut'. Now, I guess, they'll be nearer to B&J's, and I do hope they'll survive. Buying an ice cream from a shop is just not the same. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned!
JMD40 likes this.
Old 24-06-2015, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
There used to be an icecream shop where Marina cafe is now...was that Valls or something else
Heladeria / Gelateria Garrido which I believe is an Alcudia based boutique ice cream enterprise used to have an outlet there.
JMD40 likes this.
Old 25-06-2015, 07:46

It's strange how this news was kept fairly quiet until recently and I am amazed that more people are not horrified and angry by this sad loss to Puerto Pollensa.
I have also been told that it's due to 1919 complaining that waiting customers invades into there 100 table and chairs that arrived much later than Valls.
Valls IS Puerto Pollensa, it was sad when the ' helados' bike stopped doing the sea front run and now to loose the hut is just so wrong and especially so if this is the reason.
I have always refused to support this mega giant that appeared in PP about 6/7 years ago and now I know my decision was correct.
Valls was/is owned by the parents of the daughter in law of the Vila family, that's the connection and the connection to the dog.
Presume they still have the hut, in Pollensa square?
Yes Garridos was, the ice cream parlour in that location and they still operate in Alcudia.
James, its cd, debz1 and 5 others like this.
Old 25-06-2015, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD40 View Post
... I have also been told that it's due to 1919 complaining that waiting customers invades into there 100 table and chairs ...
Shall have my regular pre- or post-'Valls ice cream' coffee and Suau not on any of the treasured 100 table and chairs in the 1919 when I'm there in August ...
Old 25-06-2015, 10:21

I might be missing something here but I do wonder if some people are getting unnecessarily agitated over this.... yes, it's a bit sad to see the hut go, as it is/was a Pollensa tradition - but the new premises can't be more than a two-minute walk away, surely? Personally if I had young children I would be quite glad that the new shop is not so close to a busy road - it's much safer to queue further along the Pine Walk. It's still the same ice cream, whether it's sold from a hut or a proper shop - isn't it?
Old 25-06-2015, 10:30
Banned

It's all a shame I totally agree and yet another icon will be lost. When they're gone, they're gone. I personally think Cafe 1919 is a fantastic asset to PP, not least of all because of what it serves, its position and the fact it's open all year round.

I've never witnessed people sitting there while waiting for ice cream but then I'm only in PP part-time. Just a shame some agreement can't be sought between the two.

Anyway, I would imagine that the promenade there is council (ajuntament) owned surely? So is it just a case of "money talks"?!
Old 25-06-2015, 11:47

Default The hut

At this moment the hut is still there and trading as normal, the new parlour looks great and was very busy last night. One point of interest is that the "trinket" shop with the kids ride which used to be next door to 1919 has gone and is now a Voss outlet and as you would expect, being in the same group, 1919 has already extended its tables ect across that frontage as well.