Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 12:27

Default May / June

With the usual apologies to Lyn for the delay but this does take a little bit time to prepare this and my other boss kept giving me real work to do
Anyhoo, I'm finally ready to start our trip report so feel free to sit back, relax and enjoy with a large sangria at Bonys :

Sangria 51 by Doogz, on Flickr

Sunday 24th May
Dropped the luggage of at the apartment then of out for lunch.
O'lume had become our traditional 1st lunch but as this sadly isn't an option we decided to head to Can Tofol.
Lyn having already kindly booked El Posito for the evening the plan had been just to have a ligher lunch of Pa Amb Oli however after a warm welcome a cold beer arrived and our host explained they had a special Sunday menu so we decided to give it a go:
Starter was a lovely salad of avocado & cherries with a lime vinaigrette (I can hardly believe I've just described a salad as lovely - but it was !)
Main was a mixed (blind) paella and dessert was a sort of caramel swiss roll.
The food was all excellent and fantastic value (MDD is €9.90 pp and includes a drink).
Having had an early start we had to make an extra effort to force down a second pint before heading back to the apartment for a siesta to help prepare us for our evening out.

Dinner El Posito - This was a special night.... I'll add some detail later !

Monday 25th May
Lunch - Decided to head to Bar Rumbo to see Al & Xisca and get the Pa Amb Oli we'd failed to get yesterday.....
only to find out there had been a problem with the bread so we had to have baguettes instead:
I had a Pepito De Lomo & Mogs a Sobrasada & Cheese baguette washed down with a couple of beers - lovely !

Dinner was at Los Faroles - This is one of those restaurants that for some reason doesn't get too many mentions here but is a firm favourite with us.
We both had to have the Soller Prawns to start which were wonderful as always
For the main course I had the lomo con col and Mogs went with the Sole mueniere
Drinks: 2x G&T, water, Mar de frades Albarino + 2x carjillo con brandy
Great food, service and value for money @ just over €80 (We actually saw some shops selling the same wine for more than they charged in the restaurant).
Los Faroles Soller 1 by Doogz, on Flickr

Los Faroles Soller 2 by Doogz, on Flickr

Tuesday 26th May

Lunch: Decided we would have lunch on the balcony of the apartment so picked up a slice of tortilla and cheese and ham quiche from Al Fresco both came with a selection of salad - good food and good value @ just over €10.
We washed this down with some wine we'd picked up while shopping at Hyper Centro earlier.

Dinner: La Celtika - This was another exceptional night. I'll come back to this later too !
Sponsored Links
Old 16-06-2015, 12:29

Wednesday 27th May
Lunch on the 4th day and we still hadn't managed it so we set off to Can Tofol again determined to get a Pa Amb Oli. (Although it turns out I wasn't quite as determined as I thought!)
On market day Tofol usually do a veggie paella but having had the mixed paella there on Sunday I was sure I'd go with the Pa Amb Oli. However, I didn't account for there being more than one special.... and when Pork ribs were mentioned I stopped looking at the menu as my choice had been made!
Fortunately, Mogs stuck with her choice of Pa Amb oli with Goats Cheese and red peppers. The Pa Amb Oli was up to their usual high standards but the pork ribs were excellent and at only €6.50 inc. a drink probably the best value meal of the holiday.
I wish there was a Can Tofol next my office - I'd be there every lunchtime !

Tofol Pork by Doogz, on Flickr

Tofol Pa amb oli by Doogz, on Flickr

Dinner @ La Llonja -
Sometimes all this holiday dining can get quite complicated - looking at the specials at La Llonja they had tuna steak available which we've enjoyed here in the past.... but we've also had even better Tuna as a special at El Posito.
Wither to have the tuna here or El Posito .... or maybe even have it in both restaurants - I though holidays were supposed to be relaxing !!
Fortunately, the G&T's arrived quickly and I was able to calm down & we decided to just go with the MDD:
To start Mogs had the Noodles with gorganzola, walnuts & broccoli which was really good.
I went with the mini tuna burgers with Mango salsa - a nice idea and pleasant enough but could have done with a the burgers being a little rarer and some chili in the salsa to lift it a little.
We both went with the Sea Bass Mallorcan style (Spinach, Pine Nuts & raisins) which was very nice followed by 2 x dessert of the day (apple strudel) - also good.

Drinks: 2 x G&Ts, Water + bottle of house white, 2 x americanos, 1 x Amaretto, 1x Liquor 43

La Llonja Tuna Burger2 by Doogz, on Flickr

La Llonja Pasta by Doogz, on Flickr

La Llonja Sea Bass by Doogz, on Flickr
scotslizzy and Tangoman like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:30

Thursday 28th May - Tapas Day !
Pre-lunch beer @ La Bodeguita - 2 canas with Tapas (Seranno Ham on Bread)
Lunch - El Meson: 4 Canas with tapas (Choriquitos on bread & Russian Salad)+
Bread, Olives & Allioli + 4 x half Racion of: Chiperones, Patatas Bravas, Pincho Morunos, Cazon en Adobo.
All lovely but the marinated fried fish was the stand out dish.

Dinner on the Tapas Route-
La Cabana: Beer + tapa of chicken skewer on bread
La Cabana - Tapa by Doogz, on Flickr

Bar Rumbo: Great selection here:We had beers + Spinich flan, Mini Burger, Chicken wing w. bread, Brie w. bread and 2 empanadas
Bar Rumbo Tapa 1&2 by Doogz, on Flickr
Bar Rumbo Tapa 3 by Doogz, on Flickr
Bar Rumbo Tapa 4 by Doogz, on Flickr
Bar Rumbo Tapa 5 by Doogz, on Flickr

La Vall: Beers + tapa of Liver and tongue
La Vall Tapa 1&2 by Doogz, on Flickr
Sparky and Tangoman like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:33

Tapas night continued:
Can Tofol:Another big selection here. Beers + tapas of Mini Burger, Burrito, Pizza, Chicken skewer on bread.
Tofol Tapa 1&2 by Doogz, on Flickr
Tofol Tapa 3&4 by Doogz, on Flickr

Friday 29th May
Lunch was another visit to Al Fresco for more quiche, tortilla and salad. All very nice again.

Dinner @ Casa Vila:
1 x Italian Nachos + 1 combo starter
Doogz - Pizza Pepperoni
Mogs - Pizza Buena Ventura
Lyn & Colin: 2 x Sea Bass
Drinks - G&Ts, 1 bottle of rose/blush, 1 Baron De Ley tinto , Coffees, Brandy & Hierbos

This was a new restaurant for us and we really enjoyed a great meal (which was only surpassed by the superb company !)

Saturday 30th May
Another lunch on the balcony: some coca & empanadas from the bakery + some bread, meat, cheese & wine from Eroski

Dinner @ Los Faroles:
Starters Padron Peppers & Mussels stuffed with seafood to share. Both very tasty and lots of hot peppers.
Mains - Doogz: Steak Tournado Rossini cooked perfectly, Mogs: Shoulder of Lamb.
Drinks: 2x G&Ts, Water, Baron De Ley Tinto, 2 x carajillos, 1 Amaretto 1 Hierbos.
Everything was excellent as usual !

Los Faroles Padron Peppers_Stuffed Mussels by Doogz, on Flickr
Los Faroles Steak by Doogz, on Flickr
Los Faroles Steak 3 by Doogz, on Flickr
Los Faroles Lamb 1 by Doogz, on Flickr
pips and Tangoman like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:34

Sunday 31st May
Another lunch on the balcony - think we had meat & cheese left from the day before but needed to add some fresh bread & wine !

Dinner at El Posito:
Doogz: Prawns with Garlic, Mogs: Garlic baby squid - both wonderful
Mains: 2 x Tuna Steak - We're both very pleased with our decision to skip the tuna at La Llonja to enjoy it here instead. Wonderful Tuna, cooked perfectly ... portion size was maybe a little large (having said that I don't think any was left!)
Drinks: 2x G&T, Wine, Water, 2 cafe solo and 'some' brandy !
Fantastic food, great service from Chris and Miggy and another nice catch-up with Mr & Mrs S.

EP Tuna 1 by Doogz, on Flickr
EP Tuna 3 by Doogz, on Flickr

Monday 1st June
Lunch @ Bar Coral. 2 large beers, bread, olive & allioli. Mogs: Pa amb oli w. Cheese & Ham, Doogz: Mixed Tapas
Great lunch, friendly service and good value at €22... seems very popular with people of all ages !

Dinner @ La Vall - Doogz: La Roda burger, Mogs: La Vall Burger
2 x canas + bottle of Ses Nines Tinto
Very nice burgers - but the portions are big. Again, great value at at €35.
La Vall Burger 1 by Doogz, on Flickr
La Vall Burger 2 by Doogz, on Flickr
Old 16-06-2015, 12:35

Tuesday 2nd June
Another lunch on the balcony.

Dinner @ El Meson: 2x tapas menu #3 -
Bread, Olives, Alioli
Meatballs
El Meson Albondigas by Doogz, on Flickr
Patatas Bravas
El Meson Patatas Bravas by Doogz, on Flickr
Gambas Pil-Pil
El Meson Prawns by Doogz, on Flickr
Calamares
El Meson Squid by Doogz, on Flickr
Tomato Bread & Cheese
El Meson Tomato Bread and Cheese by Doogz, on Flickr
Pudding
El Meson Dessert by Doogz, on Flickr
Drinks: 2x beers, Bottle of house white, 2 x cafe solo, 2 x 'tiramisu' drinks

Great food & service - Prawns in particular were fantastic. Very good value at only €45
Rosie34 and Tangoman like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:37

Wednesday 3rd June

Another lunch at Can Tofol and another excellent 'special' for me of Cod in thick Gazpacho sauce with salad.
Tofol Cod by Doogz, on Flickr
Mogs had another lovely Pa amb oli this time with Sobrasada and honey.
Tofol Pa Amb Oli 2 by Doogz, on Flickr
Sparky, shelf.life, pips and 1 others like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:41

Wednesday 3rd June continued
Having been so impressed with the earlier visit to La Celtika (I will get round to writing about that at some point !) we decided we had to return for some more of their exceptional food:

Mogs: started with the tartare of smoked & fresh (label Rouge) salmon , Doogz: Canneloni of Galician smoked beef stuffed with Beef Tartare. These were both stunning and we spent the time waiting for the main courses to arrive trying to decide who had picked the better starter - we eventually had to agree to disagree on that.... But mine was better (nothing to see here! )
Celtika Salmon by Doogz, on Flickr
Celtika Tartare by Doogz, on Flickr

For mains I had Duck w. Foie Gras and a cider sauce while Mogs went with Monkfish in 'La Celtika' sauce - again both were great dishes but the monkfish was the winner here: I've never had such a delicate piece of monkfish before - wonderful !
Celtika Duck by Doogz, on Flickr
Celtika Monkfish by Doogz, on Flickr

Desserts: Mogs had the duo of chocolate mousse while I had the Copa Colonel (Lemon sorbet & Vodka).
Celitka Mousse by Doogz, on Flickr

Drinks: 2 x Kir Royale, a bottle of Albarino, Hierbos/coffee liqueur on the house.
Bill came to €125 which is a probably above average for this trip (but one of the few place we managed to have 3 courses too which would up the price).
Also, I think once you factor in the quality of the ingredients and cooking this may still have been one of our best value meals of the holiday.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:42

Thursday 4th June
Last lunch so had to visit Al again at Bar Rumbo - 2x beers & 2 x Pepito De Lomo. Excellent as ever.

As is tradition our last dinner is alwasy El Posito
Doogz: Mussels Marinara > John Dory with Crispy onions (As mentioned in the 'If you could only eat here once - Signature dish.' thread this is a dish I nearly always have..... but Chris came very close to persuading me to go for the T-bone steak but that'll have to wait for next time !)
Mogs: Prawns with Garlic > Cod with Sobrasada & Honey (Suspect Mogs would have this on her 'If you could only eat here once' list)
Drinks 2xG&Ts, Bottle of Aurelio Blanco, 2 x cafe solo ..... 'some' brandy !
EP Mussels by Doogz, on Flickr
EP Prawns by Doogz, on Flickr
EP John Dory by Doogz, on Flickr
EP Cod w Sob and Miel by Doogz, on Flickr

It's always sad to end the holiday but perfect food, service, company and brandy all help ease the pain a little
Sparky, pips and Tangoman like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:44

Okay so onto the 2 most exciting meals......

Tuesday 26th May - La Celtika - Tasting Menu (5 Courses with matching wines €70 per person)
Amuse Bouche: Carrot Puree, Apple & Pineanpple and lemon sorbet
(Don't ask me why this combination worked- but it did)
Celtika Amuse by Doogz, on Flickr
Foie Gras & Onion Chutney - Dessert Wine
(Lovely Foie and perfectly matched with the dessert wine)

Langostine Ravioli - Rose wine
Celtika TM Ravioli by Doogz, on Flickr

Scallop, leek fondue and citrix sauce - Jose Ferrer Veritas Chardonay
Celtika TM Scallop by Doogz, on Flickr

18 hour cooked lamb, potatoes and courgettes - Red Wine
Celtica TM - Lamb by Doogz, on Flickr

Dark/White Chocolate Mousse - Cava
Celtica TM - Dessert by Doogz, on Flickr

Hierbas & Coffee liquer on the house.

We can't recommend this restaurant highly enough - every course was stunning but if I had to pick a favourite I'd have to go with the Scallops.
The only minor downside is the location on a fairly busy side street could detract from the quality of the food.
If you're doing the tasting menu and it's not too hot then I'd recommend doing what we did and getting a table inside - you're so close to the kitchen that it's essentially a 'chef's table' which just add's to the experience.
Cost of €70 per person may seem a little bit much for some but I think you would struggle to find as good a meal in the UK for twice this price -
have a cheap night or 2 on the tapas route and reward yourself to a special night at La Celtika.
Old 16-06-2015, 12:47

and finally......

El Posito Dinner Sunday 24th May:
Lyn & Colin were celebrating their Ruby wedding anniversary + Mogs her birthday....(I was just celebrating the start of my hols !) so where better to go than Pozzies:
Bread, Olives & Allilio followed by a massive & wonderful Lobster Calderette
Drink: G&Ts, Wine (Aurelio Blanco), Cafe solos & lots of Brandy

I really haven't got the words to do the food justice - quite simply the best meal we've ever had a El Positos (Lyn don't tell Antonio... and to be fair to him we never tried his calderette) - combined with the best company and service you could hope for.
Thanks again to Lyn & Colin for arranging such a special start to the holiday
(And extra special thanks to Colin for making more of a mess eating the lobster than me .... don't worry no photos of that!)

EL Posito - Calderette 1 by Doogz, on Flickr

EL Posito - Calderette 2 by Doogz, on Flickr

Lyn & Colin by Doogz, on Flickr

(Thanks as ever to Mogs for taking notes & photos & apologies for the splitting this into quite so many posts but you're limited to how many images you can include in a single post)

Last edited by Doogz1874; 16-06-2015 at 12:52.
Old 16-06-2015, 13:11

Default I am drooling ....

sitting at lunch in the office and I am so impressed with your report cos I am one of those sad people who love the detail and with pics that was the icing on the cake.

Celtika sounds wonderful but I could not do justice to a seven ? course meal . Tried this last year at O'Lume and had to admit defeat .

Thanks for providing such a detailed and mouth watering report .

The problem we have is going round all the restaurant's that we have on our list is that we don't have enough time !

Thanks Again

Scotslizzy
Old 16-06-2015, 13:13

I had just complained that the "Signature Dish" Thread was making me hungry, when along came your report Doogz. Fabulous photographs, not much shake so thus they were taken before the "Some Brandies" kicked in!! Lots of food for thought for our own trip here.

Obviously a great holiday, and I look forward to the Photographs of your waistline before and after!!! Also, is it possible to book a table on your balcony for lunch - sounded like a nice menu!! Again, all-in-all, a super report - well done (just jealous really!!)

John
Old 16-06-2015, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotslizzy View Post
sitting at lunch in the office and I am so impressed with your report cos I am one of those sad people who love the detail and with pics that was the icing on the cake.

Celtika sounds wonderful but I could not do justice to a seven ? course meal . Tried this last year at O'Lume and had to admit defeat .

Thanks for providing such a detailed and mouth watering report .

The problem we have is going round all the restaurant's that we have on our list is that we don't have enough time !

Thanks Again

Scotslizzy
We'd also been defeated by the O'Lume tasting menu in the past but the Celtika menu has much more sensible portion sizes and only the 5 courses so wasn't a problem.
Old 16-06-2015, 13:19

That was quite most amazing Trip Report I've read......quite put me off doing another - how do you top that! I think a Booker Prize at least for that one.

Terrific photos make me supremely jealous but happy in the knowledge that it will be our turn in just over four weeks time.

Must have taken you ages - nice work.