Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree25Likes
  • 18 Post By Rosie34
  • 2 Post By kate1
  • 1 Post By mike_dublin
  • 2 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By lollipop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 17:26

Default Our eating adventures!

We arrived on 29 May and after our 3am start for the early flight and all the car pick up hassle at the airport – see separate post on this one, we did our big shop, had a salad with tortilla at the villa and we were in bed by 9pm! I know lots of people head out on the town first night and I admire their stamina but we are a couple of wusses!!

So our first eating decision was an easy one – Tango (ex Trio). We got a very warm welcome and were quite optimistic – till we saw the menu. What a disappointment – it was one page – which would be fine (quality as opposed to quantity and all that) – but all my favourites were missing! No Caprese salad, no asparagus/mayonnaise, no mussels (for OH) etc. (And what happened to those lovely hot rolls that used to come with the aioli?) And on the mains, there was only one I fancied. So we decided to go off piste and he had the mussels (not as good as previously) and I had the Frito Mallorquin which was quite good. I had the Pork in pepper sauce which was not bad but the sauce was very watery and he had the Sea Bass which he said was ok. So with half a bottle of wine, water the bill was about 57 euros and not really worth it quite honestly. So really sad that what was one of our favourite restaurants is now off our list.

So after a bbq at the villa the next night, we booked a table at Brisa Marina. And we were relieved that this is just as good as ever! Lovely salad starter for me and Pork in Port sauce – delicious. OH had the fish – not sure what sort – but he enjoyed it. And I finished off with the Tiramisu. Including the usual half bottle of wine, water coffee etc – 38euros – great value.

We booked a table at Cellar La Parra (booking is essential as every time we go there we see all these hopeful people turning up only to be turned away again). We pre-ordered the veg Paella and it was just superb as usual. With 2 bottles of water, glass wine and coffee etc – bill was 27 euros! Need I say more.

Next outing was to Stefanos in the Gotmar area. This is a really stylish restaurant with what I call sophisticated type music playing softly in the background – but not at all snooty!! We had bruschetta to share to start (excellent), I had the Ravioli with spinach etc in tomato sauce and OH had the spicy pasta dish (whose name escapes me) – but both were delicious. I couldn’t resist the tiramisu and with glass of wine, 2 waters and coffe – approx. 50 euros – and well worth it. It was a lovely relaxing meal sitting outside on a hot summer night.

So we have always thought about trying Numero Ocho in the square in the old town so booked a table for the evening.

Oh dear – what a mistake! I would describe this restaurant as pretentiously overpriced poor food. The waiter was totally po-faced and the only time he smiled was when he came back to our table to say that he had forgotten what one of the main courses was! I ordered Mozzarella/Tomato salad to start and it was the worst I have had since ordering it once in a Jamie Oliver place. There were chunks of big tomatoes, whole small tomatoes, whole mozzarella balls. There was no seasoning or flavour. The promised basil oil dressing was nowhere to be tasted, and the fresh basil was cut into shreds and not torn – hence no flavour – totally tasteless and I did not eat it. OH ordered the Caesar salad which he said was ok – but why do they serve the salads in what look like miniature urinals? More pretension?
So the mains arrived – for some reason OH had ordered the cod in a sauce which included strawberries (must have been the heat getting to him!) which he declared ‘not good’ and the cod was dry and flavourless. My chicken in pancetta was really tasty but the accompanying mash tasted nothing like potatoes and I couldn’t eat it, nor were the soggy vegetables edible.

Some of the service was totally unprofessional – like removing the bread and olives without asking if we had finished with them; and when we were paying (in cash) OH was getting some money from wallet to add to that on the dish and the waiter turned up at the table and tried to whip it away!!

And this eating disaster cost 74 euros!

I phoned Ca na Josef to book a table for the next evening and what a difference!!!!
Warm welcome, lovely table next to the open window, friendly efficient service and totally delicious food. Mussels which were declared best ever, my grilled veg starter was just to die for. He had the John Dory – excellent and I had the lasagne which was perfect. Then limoncello on the house and all for 57 euros. Excellent value and already looking forward to our next visit in October.

Of course, we had to have a second visit to Cellar la Parra – this time OH had the frito which I tried and it is the best ever! My chicken croquettes were good. I chose the griddled chicken for my main and this was cooked perfectly and he had the John Dory which he said was very good but not as good as at Josef’s.

So for our final night (we had intended to travel to S Maria del Cami for lunch but when I phoned they said they were closed for holidays till July) So we decided to try Bar Coral. This is such a lovely friendly restaurant and got very busy. We shared Calamares to start which were excellent and then he had the cod which was the biggest piece of fish I have ever seen! And he said it was delicious (and appreciated it after the Numero Ocho offering). I had the chicken with Tumbet and this was superb. The only criticism of Bar Coral is that it is so busy and there just don’t seem to be enough staff. We asked for another bottle of water which never arrived, and I asked to see the dessert menu but that didn’t materialise either. And we had to go inside eventually to get the bill which was a very reasonable 40 euros for such good food. But we will certainly be back.

Now this is a bit off piste and not a PP restaurant but really feel I should mention it. Anybody who looks at the Live cam Pro will have seen the webcam inside the Sa Sini restaurant in S Maria del Cami. So we really wanted to try it and drove there one day (stopping at Alaro on the way and having coffee in the square and a look round the lovely church). The restaurant was worth the trip – perfect Frito followed by Tumbet. OH had the seafood salad which he said was best salad he has ever had! The highlight of the meal is deciding what dessert to choose from the massive choice. The lady who makes them all is in attendance to explain what each one is. But I had no hesitation when I spotted the Banoffee Pie – best ever. With wine, water, coffee etc the bill was less than 40 euros.
pollensa, CathB, debz1 and 15 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-06-2015, 18:11

Great honest report, Rosie - many thanks. We had recently given up on Can Josep after a bad experience involving being massively overcharged for a coffee (sounds petty and vindictive, I know!) - but I can see we will have to give it another try.

Excellent recommendation for Santa Maria too. We always stop off there en route to the villa from the airport - have coffee and croissants on the main street and then go to pick up some wine at Macia Batle (who also sell some very good edible bits and pieces, with lots of tasters to try). It's a pleasant little town and that restaurant sounds fab - another one for the list!
Belladonna and pansy potter like this.
Old 16-06-2015, 18:22

Spoilt today with trip reports

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experiences.
Brilliant report.
car77 likes this.
Old 16-06-2015, 18:53

Default It's like buses you wait .........

ha ha .Love reading them and all the different opinions about the same place.

Scotslizzy
Old 16-06-2015, 22:42

Brilliant report.....thanks so much. Yes, you must re-visit C'an Josep. You won't regret it.
Old 16-06-2015, 23:12
Super Moderator

Lovely trip report Rosie, thanks for sharing .
Old 17-06-2015, 00:33

Thanks for the reviews great honest opinions, we were hoping to go to Santa Maria when out in May but didn't make it, will definitely try again.
Old 17-06-2015, 09:10

Thanks for a great report Bar Coral is one of our favorites. Agree that they sometimes are a little busy, but so far we have not experienced such "poor service" that you did. I'll mention it to them when we get there a little over a week. Cant wait to get back to our favorite place PP
Old 17-06-2015, 23:13

Yes I must admit we felt the same about the new Tango (ex Trio). A third of the choice of the Trio menu with no discernable difference in quality. We would have gone 2 or 3 times in three weeks but I wouldn't find more than one choice that interested me now. We'll still use it in August as we need tables that can fit up to 20 of us with all our friends and it is one place that can accommodate us but I don't think some of our younger kids will find much to have from the menu. Shame.
Old 18-06-2015, 09:07
Super Moderator

In defence of Tango i would say that the main menu has something for everyone, of course when it comes to the MDD in almost every restaurant you are only offered 3 or 4 choices for each course. I have found if you ask many will allow you to choose one course from the main menu for little or no extra charge .
Doogz1874 and Tangoman like this.
Old 18-06-2015, 14:04

When we were in Tango Tim had the prawn cocktail off the main menu we didn't think to ask if this could be instead of a starter from the set menu, our other dishes were from the set menu, there was no extra charge, it's always worth asking if you can have a swap for a similar priced dish. Food was plain but very good and the service excellent.
Old 18-06-2015, 14:48

And the menu is the same one they served when at Ca Vostra.
Sparky and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 18-06-2015, 20:18

Great report!!! So glad you enjoyed Josep's too!