Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 18 Post By pollensa
  • 1 Post By joey36
  • 1 Post By Disorderly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 22:35
Founder

Default Our 10 days in October

I don't often write a Trip Report as most of my 'trips' are rather short but this time we were in PP for 10 days - the longest stay for a long time - so I thought why not?

Day 1 - we arrived on a Friday evening and as usual chose somewhere easy for our first night. We often go to Brisa Marina for their Set Menu, which used to be such good value at 14 EUR, especially as we like their fresh fish. Unfortunately this visit was disappointing. The set menu is now around 18 EUR and to be honest didn't taste as good. Both my soup and sea bass did not have much flavour and the house wine is pretty horrible. However they did make up for it on our last meal (see Day 10)

Day 2 - Sat night - we had a lovely meal out with Sparky and Mr Sparky at O'Lume. Rain had been threatened but kept away so we could sit out in the courtyard. We all ate well - S. (my husband) and I really enjoyed the lamb chops. For starters I had the Quail salad and S. was very impressed with his seafood kebab. And of course we enjoyed a lot of white wine (!), preceded by cocktails and ended the night with hierbas and the tasty frozen chocolates. A very good night.

Day 3 - Sun lunch - the weather was a bit iffy so we chose to go for the Lunch Set Menu at El Posito - at 15 EUR on a Sunday (10 EUR during the week) it is a bargain and very good food as well. If you haven’t booked, you need to arrive by 1 on a Sunday (and even earlier during the week). We both had the paella for starters, S. had Lechona (suckling pig) and I had Sepia (cuttlefish). For dessert, I would have chosen my favourite ‘Mallorcan Pudding’ but they were offering slices of an enormous ensaimada filled with a custard cream. I normally wouldn't go for this but I'm glad I did. It was lovely and very light. We looked at the evening menu and thought about returning (which we did the next night!).

Day 4 - Monday was a domestic day - our anticipated walk on Dragonera Island was cancelled first due to a broken-down minibus and then bad weather - so instead it was a bank visit, replacement of our 15 year old iron which had finally died, waiting in for the aircon man who did not show - and a trip to Formentor beach which started off blisteringly hot and ended with a massive storm and downpour. Luckily we got to the cafe in time and watched the lightning whilst drinking coffee. Have given up on the aircon man, we ventured out at 7:30 and made for El Posito. We were really lucky to get a table without booking and saw several people being turned away especially larger parties.. We shared starters of tumbet and pimientos de padron and then both had different cod dishes. Mine was Cod El Posito with more peppers on top and very, very good. Such a shame we’ll miss their upcoming ‘Cod Fortnight’. Other diners were enjoying lechona and shoulders of lamb (often ordered in advance).

Day 5 - Tuesday - forum meeting at Casa Manolo. Later that evening, for the very first time in Mallorca, we went for an Indian and tried Mirch Massala, as recommended by fill6699, and he was right. It was excellent. We chose Set Menu B (as advised by Phil!) at 16.95 EUR for 3 courses (or 14.95 for 2) plus papadom and chutneys and wine, beer or sangria. There was something very surreal about sitting outside on a warm evening eating Chicken Jalfrezi washed down by a glass of Sangria but it worked and I would definitely go there again. The food was freshly cooked, you could taste the herbs and sauces were light without any of the ‘gloopiness’ that you can get at UK curry houses. We decided against dessert and instead had coffee at Cappuccino just around the corner but with a much better view and I love their Almond Latte!

Day 6 - Wednesday - Today we decided on the Set Lunch at Casa Vila - another favourite for lunch and evening meals.. I think the Menu Del Dia is only offered at lunchtimes & is 10 EUR on weekdays - a little more at weekends. It changes daily but there are normally 2 starters, Mains of fish or meat or a choice of 3 pizzas plus dessert. Drinks are extra. That day’s selection was good - bruschetta or home-made tagliatelle to start, liver or our favourite fish llampuga, several types of pizza which were enormous (but they will box up leftovers for you!) followed by a gorgeous dessert of carpaccio of pineapple (very thin slices) topped with coconut ice cream (sort of Pina Colada flavour).

Day 7 - Thursday - a day in Pollensa town. First a very welcome Thai Massage from Alison at Thai Massage Mallorcs (she’s also featured in this week’s Talk of the North) to help me recuperate from our jaunt up the Puig de Maria the previous day (I didn’t find it too easy!). We just had ice creams there but I’d like to try the restaurant. Has anyone eaten there? Apparently locals troop up there on Sundays for paella.

We intended to have lunch at Celler El Moli, another old favourite, but they were closed for some reason. I thought hard about where else had been mentioned on the forum and remembered Trencadora. The interior of El Moli is fascinating but sitting out in the courtyard at Trencadora reminded us yet again of the variety of places to eat in both the port and town. We shared a large plate of bruschetta for starters, I had a rather spicy Sicilian pasta and S. had this most enormous salad inside a puffed up flat bread. The dark bread that they served with olives was very tasty with a sort of malty flavour. They sell it inside. Unfortunately we didn’t need any more bread but next trip… Fortified we tackled the Calvario - all 365 steps.

And as it was Thursday, it must be on to the Tapas Route. First stop La Roda - their Tapas have always been excellent. This time I had a sort of spicy, coconut flavoured chicken leg - yum. We wondered about and decided to try the new Bellini on the square, run by the owners of Laroc, but the food is quite different. Their tapas were tiny but exquisite. One was a sort of Vol Au Vent with prawns and I’m afraid I’ve forgotten the other. We had to have two but moved on to sparkling water instead of wine for the second glass. As we learnt at our third stop Rumbo, you can sometimes ask for more tapas for 1 EUR each. When we arrived a guy was loading up a plate with 5 or 6. We went for a glass of pretty good red wine and 2 tapas each - Mrs Rumbo makes exceedingly good tapas.

By 10pm we fancied something sweet. Unfortunately pancakes at La Celtika weren’t to be as the kitchen was closed so it was back to Cappuccino for coffee and apple tart.
So it cost us 9 EUR each for the tapas and nearly the same again for the coffee and cake but still a pretty good deal for a great evening!

Day 8 - Friday - the day of our excellent Rural Mallorca excursion which I’ll review separately. Lunch was Pa Amb Oli (prepared by ourselves), barbecued chicken and pork with trampo, bread and all washed down with local wine and followed by portions of melon.

Day 9 - Sat - our last night and we chose Centric. We went in during the day to book a table outside for that evening (and for our our lunch at brisa Marina the next day). Food as ever at Centric was excellent even if the menu doesn’t change very much. As mentioned elsewhere Centric offer the Mortitx Flaires rose wine and it was very, very drinkable. Unfortunately they only had 2 or 3 bottles left so some of you may be unlucky. We also managed to to purchase one of the last ones from Ensenyat in Pollensa town for about 10 EUR. For starters we shared Gyozas (Japanese dumplings) and the fish (think it was cod) ceviche. They were both divine - pricey but worth it. And then followed with the renown Argentinian steak with chimichurri sauce. We've had this several times but it’s a winner each time.

Final Day 10 - Sunday was our last day but as our flight didn’t leave until 10pm, we just had to do a Spanish Sunday lunch and go for paella. Based on forum recommendations we went for Brisa Marina. Booking is absolutely essential for this as the place was absolutely packed and mainly with locals nearly all having paella. At only 11.50 EUR pp, it’s quite a bargain too. We shared a plate of pimientos padron and croquettas to start - but there is no need - there’s plenty of paella.

Special mention must also go to Dolc Sa Pobla, the bakery/cafe behind the square, who provided us with several second breakfasts of fresh orange juice, coffee and croissants. Other lunches and suppers were supplied by Hiper supermarket.

So that was our trip, roll on the next one.
favie, debz1, LK1960 and 15 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2014, 10:21

We too had a poor meal at Brisa Marina in early September - all the food was overcooked and dry but we had no apology - just a dirty stare from the manager as we left
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15
Founder

Re Brisa Marina, I got the impression that they were finding it difficult to cope with the expansion especially on the Sunday. We had very good fish there earlier in the year so hopefully it's a seasonal thing.

We really likely plainly cooked 'fishy' fish such as Sea Bass & Sea Bream - I have to admit I do not like John Dory but I know's Sparky's favourite Such a shame Pescadores went as they did it very well and with good veg on the side. A lot of other places insist on creamy sauces which I think spoils the fish. That's why El Posito's cod was so good. The only sauce I like is A La Mallorquina which appears to be a mixture of spinach, pine nuts & raisins.

So can anyone recommend anywhere else that does good fresh fish simply?
Old 10-10-2014, 14:40

I had the sea bass (Llubina) at Celler la Parra which was very good and had no sauce and when we were in Bodega can Ferrer last week all the fish dishes that we saw did not have sauce either.
pollensa likes this.
Old 11-10-2014, 21:58

Thank you....that's one of the most interesting trip reports I've read recently. Brilliant. Personally, love Brisa Marina, and always like to see good reviews.
pollensa likes this.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:02

Great review. Without this becoming Brisa Marina bashing I agree that Sunday's are now very busy but we have to remember that the locals spent all afternoon relaxing and eating lunch, not like us Brits who tend to get in and out as quickly as possible. Although had couple of iffy meals there in the past would always say the service and attention is first rate and if you prefer your fish without any sauce then just tell them and that's how will get it. Most restaurants we have been to will make slight variances to the menu if you ask them to.

Last edited by pollensa; 12-10-2014 at 12:04. Reason: corrected to 'Brisa Marinal as 'Brisas' is a different restaurant.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:20

I'm quite surprised to see the comments about Brisa Marina - we have never had a poor meal there - hopefully it's a blip. It's always been one of my favourites - I agree with Pollensa, that simply cooked fish without sauce is the best way to serve it. I'm a big fan too of Ca'n Ferrer - and the sea bass cooked in salt at O Lume is really delicious. A la Mallorquina is great too - the best I've had is at La Fonda in Pollensa - and I make it quite a lot at home too, using cod. It's pretty easy - lots of recipes online.

Last edited by kate1; 12-10-2014 at 11:23.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:02
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
A la Mallorquina is great too - the best I've had is at La Fonda in Pollensa - and I make it quite a lot at home too, using cod. It's pretty easy - lots of recipes online.
We've had it too at La Fonda - it was very good - but I remember having to ask the waiter to fillet it for me as I couldn't manage with all the spinach/chard all over it. I've looked up some recipes and will definitely have a go.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:10
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda View Post
Great review. Without this becoming Brisa Marina bashing I agree that Sunday's are now very busy but we have to remember that the locals spent all afternoon relaxing and eating lunch, not like us Brits who tend to get in and out as quickly as possible. Although had couple of iffy meals there in the past would always say the service and attention is first rate and if you prefer your fish without any sauce then just tell them and that's how will get it. Most restaurants we have been to will make slight variances to the menu if you ask them to.
Of course we realise that Sunday lunch is long drawn out affair. We enjoy it. We booked for 2pm and expected to be there a good couple of hours. The paella was very good - so no complaints there at all. My only issue was the first night when the sea bass didn't have a lot of flavour. So no 'bashing' here at all.

Of course restaurants will adapt plates for you but some often a fish in a sauce are fillets whereas we like our fish whole and fairly plain. Anyway there's plenty of variety and lots of great suggestions - thank you.

And as we all know next year may well be different - and we will have new favourites. We still haven't tried Restaurante Siller.