Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree42Likes
  • 30 Post By Disorderly
  • 5 Post By Sparky
  • 3 Post By Rosie34
  • 1 Post By kate1
  • 2 Post By Disorderly
  • 1 Post By Rosie34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2014, 19:56

Default Trip Report - Reflections

We have been coming to PP now since 1994 as a family, and our extended family of six have visited together for the last ten years, and we got talking about how the place had changed in that time.

In 1991 we stayed in Porto Colom, our first visit to Mallorca, and drove around the entire island, stopping off at places of interest. The one place that stuck with us was PP. I remember driving around the bay from Alcudia, marvelling at the view and the mountains and remember how wonderful we thought the sea frontage was as you approached the marina. So we decided to come back in 1994 and that was it - hooked!

We began by renting villas in the countryside via Thomson, Pollensa Villas and the like. Villa holidays were nothing like as popular then but the old SYP near the Pollensa roundabout was as busy as hell if you timed it wrong.

I don't actually think that PP has changed that much in essence. Yes, more people go now and there's a huge increase in self catering and villa holidays. Fortunately, thought, the supermarket infrastructure has increased over the years to deal with this and even Eroski on a bad day is much better than the old SYP, which had no air conditioning in those days. The new road certainly relieves the pressure of traffic on the town too.

I think that perhaps the quality of seafront shops has dipped a bit, and there's certainly more "fast food" places than there were - but to be fair, there's a market for it so, whilst not my choice, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants that. PP is not Monte Carlo or Cannes after all!

There's a lot more places to park than there used to be, which is just as well given the enormous popularity of self-catering and the number of hire cars about. I think there's more choice of car rental firms too compared with a few years ago.

There have always been great restaurants here, and now I think there's a few more.

The old town of Pollensa is greatly improved from when we first visited, when it was a fairly tired old place - mind you, the locasl might have preferred it that way! One thing's for sure, property prices in the area are more than they were 20 years ago but, as I'm happy to rent and don't want the maintenance cost of a place I only visit occasionally (and I like to go elsewhere in the world too) that's not an issue for me. Some of you have made very good investments, though !

So I think it's heaven on earth. We still watch the yellow and red seaplane circling above, something that fascinated us on our first trip, and we now know loads of locals in bars and restaurants who always welcome us as old friends.

Lastly, of course, there is this wonderful Forum which (other than the very occasional controversial stupidity and bone headedness) continues to offer great help and advice, useful even to those of us who have been coming for years. I'm always learning something new, so long may you continue.

So that's it for 2014. Got a trip to Cyprus in October but we'll be back next year, having already booked a villa for two weeks in July.....but I don't think we'll hold out until then!

Thanks so much to everyone who took the trouble to read my posts this trip (Trip Report - in instalments) - I was astonished just how many did.

Best wishes to all of you who share a love of this most wonderful place and contribute so generously to this Forum.

Duncan
pollensa, CathB, debz1 and 27 others like this.

Last edited by Disorderly; 24-08-2014 at 20:10.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-08-2014, 23:39
Super Moderator

I would just like to say that i have really enjoyed reading your trip reports and although we have not always seen eye to eye your input on the forum is much appreciated.

On a personal level it was an honour to chat with you and i look forward to seeing you again next year .
CathB, LK1960, El Gordo and 2 others like this.
Old 25-08-2014, 09:40

Yes, Duncan, agree that the essence of PP is still the same Don't agree on the old Syp/Eroski though - we could always find exactly what we wanted at the old Syp and still buy the same holiday essentials from Eroski - but have to search a lot harder Ok - it was cramped and overcrowded and not enough tills - but it was all part of the holiday and I can still hear the Bonanza theme every time we pass by
sws97sdg, animagic21 and kate1 like this.
Old 25-08-2014, 12:32

We first came to PP in 1995 so you beat us by one year, Duncan! I agree that it is at heart the same - we miss a few things, but there have been some great additions - especially (in the old town) the extension of the Calvario steps, which added a new square to what was a rather rundown and dilapidated part of town. Rosie, I was sad when the old SYP went too - it had a certain atmosphere, didn't it? It was pretty dark and certainly the aisles were much too narrow, but it definitely had character!
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 25-08-2014, 17:08

Hey Rosie, you've reminded me that it was the Bonanza theme. We were all singing it by the pool, remembering that daft horse and couldn't place the tune. Fantastic. You're right, of course, it was all part of the holiday. We used to be amazed by the rather intimidating large lady who wielded a ferocious cleaver and chopped up chickens behind the meat counter, with no steel gloves or protection. Happy days!

Sparky, thanks for the kind words. Controversial comments a thing of the past! Look forward to seeing you again.
Sparky and kate1 like this.

Last edited by Disorderly; 25-08-2014 at 18:35.
Old 25-08-2014, 18:49

Oh Yes - the large lady with the meat cleaver - who could forget her
kate1 likes this.