Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 17:48

Default TRIP REPORT: 12-19 July 2014

Well, we're back, reluctantly. Could happily have stayed at least another week. Mr Bird absolutely adored it - a proper PP convert. Hopefully that means we can go back time and time again! Anyways, here's our trip report:

DAY 1: Arrived via Resort Hoppa - absolutely no problem even on the standard shuttle. (Will feedback properly on the RH thread.)

Checked into our apartment (gorgeous) and headed straight down to the seafront for an ice cold Estrella and a couple of sandwiches with fries at Embat beach bar. Perfectly decent food, nice staff but the thing that made it was the location. Toes in the sand, full view of the bay. Even the inflatable water park couldn't spoil it! Bill €20 inc tip - not bargain basement but fine.

For the evening, I had pre-booked Little Italy. Had a drink at La Llonja Cantina - Majorcan red and rosé wines, both delicious and great value at about €2.40 a glass. Then strolled down to Little Italy where we were given a table right at the front. Bread, olives and aioli were delish. Salad with smoked scamorza cheese and ham for me, pizza with pepperoni and egg for Mr B. Both huge and very nice. Lovely service. Bill, including a couple of glasses of wine each, water and a tip - about €50, I think, but didn't keep the receipt and we'd been up since 3am so not sure. Watched the full moon and couldn't quite believe we were there!

DAY 2: Had the presence of mind to remember it was Sunday and therefore market day in Pollensa. We got there about 9.30 which was a blessing as we were able to walk up the Calvari steps while it was relatively quiet and cool - views were incredible. On the way up we booked a table at Manzanas y Peras for lunch, which was a good job because it was heaving by the time we got back. We shared a pa amb oli with ham and cheese (gorgeous) and a goats cheese salad with walnut vinaigrette (also gorgeous but a little overwhelmed by MASSIVE chunks of goats cheese. Cold beer for him, glass of white for me, water. Bill about €25 inc tip.

Ate at home on the evening and then wandered down to the square for the festivities. On a tip from this forum (can't remember who, but thanks) we got a table for drinks at Centric from where we had a brilliant view of the demons and samba band. Once they had passed us, we scooted round to Stay and watched the fireworks over a couple of drinks there. What an amazing experience! I may have shed a little tear of happiness!

DAY 3: Lazy day in the apartment. Lunch consisting of delicious bits and bobs purchased from Pollensa market the day before. On the evening, we strolled down to the other new beach bar La Roca Beach Club. Very clean and new, and we seemed to be the only tourists there, which I take to be a good sign. THat end of the beach is lovely and quiet and the view was fab. Lovely service- the waitress didn't speak much English but that was refreshing and gave us a chance to muddle along in our not-very-good Spanish. Roast chicken and chips, the best I've ever had! The chickens had been stuffed with onions, tomatoes etc before being roasted and then smothered with garlic butter before serving. Just the job. €9.50 each for the food and more lovely wine, ice cold beer and water at about €2 so altogether about €25 for both of us. Bargain.

DAY 4: We did the "Rural Mallorca" tour with No Frills. I can't speak highly enough of this but will review it on another thread. Suffice to say, it took us a bit more off the beaten track to Santa Margalida and Sineu with incredible wine tasting, an amazingly informative guide and ending up with a beautiful barbecue at a finca near Santa Maria del Cami. €28 each. Bliss.

DAY 5: More laziness really. Popped to the market in PP although we were a little disappointed by the amount of tat so didn't buy much, except some more foodie bits. Lunch at Centric because we had liked the feel of it when we had drinks on evening 2. I had the Majorcan lamb medallions with orange and honey sauce, Mr B had hake with olives and tomatoes. Both were beautiful - lovely flavours and cooked to perfection. My only quibble was the asian style vegetables - finely shredded cabbage, carrot & fennel, stir-fried with a soy dressing. In fairness they were delicious but I felt they didn't really go with the mediterranean flavours on the plate. Mr B loved them though. Bill €56 including 2 glasses of wine each, water, bread, olives & aioli, ice cream to share for afters and a tip.

Popped into La Rosa Blanca for a drink and a dip in the afternoon. The welcome was nice but I'm afraid the place is pretty run-down generally - not, I am sure, through any laziness or negligence but - and I'm speculating - it just seemed very quiet there and it's a huge place so I can't imagine the owners have a huge amount of money for maintenance etc. Our drinks were also pretty pricey at €9 for a beer and a g&t. That said, it was a SERIOUS g&t and we enjoyed our swim so we left with a soft spot for the place.

Dinner at home - trampo, pa amb oli (inspired by our Rural Mallorca tour!), cheese, and a tuna empanada from Pasteleria Sucrart. We also got to passively enjoy John Lynman at the Rosa Blanca through our patio doors! Bit cheesy but a great musician and we liked it

DAY 6: Lunch at home and then the Ruta del Tapeo on the evening. We went to La Cabana, Bellaverde, Rumbo, Match Point and La Bodeguita. Mixed quality, I'd say - we had very nice tapas in La Cabana and Rumbo but not exactly a warm welcome (!) whereas the tapas in Match Point and La Bodeguita weren't much to write home about but the atmosphere was good. Still, a good time for a very small price tag! Highlight was Bellaverde - what a lovely setting and the food was gorgeous!

DAY 7: More (Tapas Route induced) laziness during the day and then off for our "fancy" night out. A lovely walk to the end of the Pine Walk and then dinner at La Llonja. I started with the "little" prawns from the bay (not so little and completely delicious) while Mr B had pimientos de padron. Then salmon with red curry sauce for me and rump steak for him. Both absolutely gorgeous - perfectly cooked, although if I'm honest, I should have gone for something a bit more adventurous. Still we were both very happy. Half a litre of house red for him, a couple of glasses of (delicious) rose for me, plus water complementary liqueurs. €95 inc tip. Service flawless, relaxed and lovely setting - couldn't have ended the holiday better.

DAY 8: Took the public bus to Palma (super straight-forward) and had a lovely wander around and visited the Cathedral. We ate lunch at Tast - a selection of pinchos and little skewers including pigs trotter and quail egg (!), octopus wrapped in bacon, oxtail & caramelised onion, cod & sobrasada... Absolutely scrumptious. Bill, including two beers & two glasses of wine and a tip, €30. A bargain

Took the shuttle to the airport and reluctantly took our leave of beautiful Mallorca. I'd come back tomorrow if I could!
pollensa, Mark, LK1960 and 19 others like this.

Last edited by littlebird; 23-07-2014 at 20:22.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-07-2014, 18:28

What a wonderful post. Thank you. Just over two weeks away from our two week holiday and you have whetted my appetite something wicked!! So now La Llonga us on the list too, thanks for sharing your lovely holiday.
littlebird likes this.
Old 23-07-2014, 18:31
Super Moderator

Littlebird, thank you for posting this excellent trip report and i am so pleased that Mr B has become a PP convert .
littlebird likes this.
Old 23-07-2014, 19:34

I am so pleased that you had a fabulous time. I could tell from your posts in the run-up to your departure that you were so looking forward to it.
Glad, but not at all surprised that Mr Littlebird has become a convert too.It has that effect on many, many people.
Something tells me that you will most definately be back. Two weeks next time?
littlebird likes this.
Old 23-07-2014, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
Something tells me that you will most definately be back. Two weeks next time?
Undoubtedly! There were so many things we wanted to do that we didn't quite have time for.

We loved it even more than I expected. Best. Holiday. Ever.
pollensa, debz1, LK1960 and 5 others like this.
Old 23-07-2014, 20:07

Really enjoyed your trip report..you beautifully conveyed how much you were loving it all I was there with you and could practically taste the food

La Llonja has been in out top three restaurants for a couple of years now, and it has actually got better which is refreshing as some places can get a bit complacent. Also love Centric but agree about the Asian stir fry veg. I don't dislike it but somehow it doesn't seem to go with the Mediterranean flavours. Mind you I don't like Mallorcan veg much..the tumbet kind of tomato based over cooked 'stew' I can never understand when you see beautiful veg in the market it is always lacking on most menus. Just give me a plate of steamed broccoli and I'd be happy!!!
Old 23-07-2014, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
Undoubtedly! There were so many things we wanted to do that we didn't quite have time for.
The problem is that the longer you stay, the longer the "to-do" list gets.

Having "done" Hotel Llenaire and Restaurant Mirador la Victoria (amazing sunset overlooking PP from the Alcudia side of the bay)this year, your review has now made me add a trip to Sineu and Santa Margalida to the list!

Busy trying to keep my UK diary clear for all of next June, but frankly, all of summer would never be long enough...
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 23-07-2014, 23:08

What a great trip report Littlebird. . I've also just returned from PP and I'm sure our paths must have crossed at some point. I was in Little Italy on the same Saturday night, visited Pollensa market the next morning, climbed the Calvari steps and had lunch in Manzanas y Peras too!

You've certainly set a very high standard for whenever I get round to writing my report - your enthusiasm was a joy to read!
debz1, Sparky and littlebird like this.
Old 24-07-2014, 00:12

Your excellent recollection of comestibles whilst on vacation we have found to be nothing short of delightful .
A rather splendid report from a thoroughly good egg.
El Gordo, gemmakate and littlebird like this.
Old 24-07-2014, 08:47

Great report LB, glad you had such a good time, agree with you on Embat and Manzanas y Peras, Embat, great for a drink at the end of the day with your toes in the sand and Manzanas y Peras for a long lazy Sunday lunch after the market can't be beat, as you say huge salads.
littlebird likes this.

On island time!!
Old 24-07-2014, 10:02

Hi LB - I can't remember if you said in earlier posts whether you had been to PP before - you obviously did your homework - clearly it was Mr LB's first visit and so glad he liked it so much.

I agree with your appraisal of La Rosa Blanca but it is a useful oasis in the area and Gommar is so peaceful.

Did you get a chance to try Aries for a morning coffee?
littlebird likes this.
Old 24-07-2014, 11:05

Brilliant report Littlebird, sorry we didn't bump into you. I did see a guy with a beard but he was accompanied by a wee stunner and not a chubby lass

You put me to shame with all you got up to in less time but when you've got young 'uns with you who like to muck about the pool, you need to make allowances.

We spent loads of time in the Rosa Blanca and Mrs Ludacris became friendly with Ella who was a wonderful hostess but I do agree entirely with your description.

I love the Gotmar area and I think I'm going to be a regular in years to come, God willing.
LK1960 and littlebird like this.
Old 24-07-2014, 14:52

Lovely lovely trip report littlebird. Very well written... Im sitting in my sunny garden and if I squint a bit I can almost pretend I'm there!
I too had noticed that you were really looking forward to your holiday so I'm so glad you enjoyed it! How could you not though, with such a varied and well planned trip! Thanks for taking the time to post it.
debz1, Jonsey and littlebird like this.
Old 24-07-2014, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
Well, we're back, reluctantly. ........................ I'd come back tomorrow if I could!

Thank you Littlebird for a refreshing report...... from a newby

Not wishing to be controversial...He He but... Makes such a change from the reports from regulars (myself included) who may have loyalty issues and view things through those "rose tinted specs" !!

May your return be quicker than you think!!
LK1960, Jonsey and littlebird like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 24-07-2014, 21:04

Great trip report - I love to read the experiences of new converts

Also Debz - go to Nossies for Steak one evening and ask for veg instead of chips - they steam it to perfection
debz1, Sparky and littlebird like this.