Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   TRIP REPORT: PP In May 2014 (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/11279-pp-may-2014-a.html)

joey36 21-05-2014 18:31

PP In May 2014

Quick trip report from my trip in May.

Arrived Tuesday May 6 it was a very early departure so we got to PP at about 11:00am. We did a bit of shopping and then had a stroll along the Pine Walk, it was very quiet even though the weather was warm and sunny. We decided to have our evening meal at Trio, we both had the MDD . Good food, good service and good value for money at 35Euros for the two of us.

Next day, Wednesday, we visited the market in the morning, again it was not very busy and in the evening we made our first ever visit to La Cabana on the front. We ordered the 16.50 Euro tapas menu. The food was well presented, tasted very good and the service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant for a meal but be aware drinks and desserts are not included in the price so our total bill, with a tip, was almost 50 Euros

Thursday we decided to walk to the Hotel Llenaire for tea and cake at lunchtime. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the views from the terrace, overlooking the infinity pool, across the bay of Pollensa are wonderful. You always receive a very warm welcome from the staff whether you have arrived by Rolls Royce or push bike. Give it a try it only costs 4.50 euros. Not bad for a top class establishment. In the evening ,tired out after our walk to and from the Hotel Llenaire we decided to have a take away. We ordered a roast chicken from the newly opened butchers on Calle Tramuntana (we have always used The Golden Lion in the past) freshly made trampo and a large portion of chips from Isabels and bread, olives and ali oli from the supermarket. We had a great alfresco meal on our balcony even though it was a bit nippy. By the way the chicken was excellent, almost as good as the Golden Lion. With a cheap bottle of red the total cost was about 20 Euros for us both.

Friday and it is still very quiet around the port. You could get a table at any of the restaurants, without booking, quite easily. Tonight we chose Tiberi another place that we have not frequented before. The MDD looked good so we opted for that. For starters my wife had the vegetable soup which she said was excellent and I had the calamari which I must admit was a bit chewy. Our mains of lomo con col and spaghetti Bolognese were very good but the dessert left a lot to be desired. We finished off with a coconut iced drink on the house and with a couple of drinks the total cost was 37.50 Euros. Not bad. This restaurant is rated very highly on Trip Advisor but I could name a good many places better than it in PP.

Every time we visit PP we tend to find a gem of a restaurant that we have not been to before unfortunately, like our last favourite Can Torrens, they always seem to close. Tonight, Saturday, we ventured a little of the beaten track for our first meal ever at El Meson. The outside of the building does not look very inviting with all its chalk boards but dont let that put you off. Those chalk boards give you a choice of four different tapas combinations at different prices.We opted for tapas menu two. We had bread, olives and ali oli (you could have had garlic bread as an alternative) The olives were partly crushed and infused with garlic oil and peppers, which was a nice touch. We then had our selection of tapas dishes which included ribs with a sweet sauce ,Russian salad, pork loin with mushroom, meatballs in a spicy sauce and fried padron green peppers. The waitress who served us was excellent even allowing us to swap the green peppers for garlic mushrooms. After all that we had a large slice of Mallorcan pudding each for dessert .The portions were of a good size and both of us were full up by the end of the meal. We had a bottle of Rioja, which was included in the price and two apricot liqueurs on the house.Cost for two of us 35.00 Euros. I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant. We will be back again on our next visit to PP (June).

Sunday morning we decided to walk over the Boquer Valley and it was quite busy with fellow walkers. For our evening meal tonight we decided to return to Trio. As usual it would be MDD for us both but whilst ordering, the waiter (i think his name is Danny) said that he had just one fillet of John Dory left and also some lamb chops.I immediately chose the John Dory which turned out to be a good move as the fish was absolutely delicious, so good in fact that my wife ate more of it than me and she does not even like fish. 35.00 Euros as usual.

Monday we took the bus to visit Alcudia old town for the first time and were very impressed. Nice atmosphere and my wife liked the shops. We walked around for a while and even climbed up to walk along a part of the original city walls.(watch the steps) Its only 15 minutes away from PP by bus. Well worth a quick visit. In the evening we had Chinese take away from the Luna de Miel which was not as bad as some reports would have you believe 16.00 Euros for two.

Tuesday May 13th our last full day dawned very cloudy and not too warm so we decided to join the weekly forum meeting at Casa Manalo but sadly Sparky was not too well and the meet up was cancelled (get well soon Sparky) so we decided to make the walk across the mountain pass to CSV. Thankfully the dogs that we sometimes encounter at the base of the hill were not there and after about an hour’s walking we eventually reached CSV.It was eerily quiet, hardly a soul about. We had lemon meringue pie and a cup of tea at La Tasca restaurant near the front, only 3.50 Euros each and very nice it was too. We decide to get the next bus back to PP unfortunately the next and only bus back in the afternoon is not till 1630, ninety minutes hence. It looks like we will have plenty of time to explore CSV. The bays look great today with large waves crashing onto the rocks making lots of white foam and noise. Eventually the sun makes an appearance and a few people appear as if from nowhere. My wife says that CSV reminds her of the village in the 60s series, The Prisoner, everything appears perfect on the surface but underneath something lurks, something sinister. Anyway we managed to escape, unscathed, on the 1630 bus back to PP which was eerily bang on time.

Now for our last evening meal of the holiday we chose Tiberi but as some of you will already be saying Its closed on a Tuesday, and of course you would be right. So we made a quick diversion to Bar Coral. We had bread, olives and ali oli (arguably the best in the port) and we both opted for the lamb shank (as we always do) my portion looked like a whole leg of lamb, it was enormous. We could not manage a pudding so we finished off with two apricot liqueurs on the house. With a drink each the bill came to 40Euros.

CathB 21-05-2014 19:41

Great report..La Cabana and El Meson are favourites of ours..great service and value too :) roll on July

Rosie34 21-05-2014 21:16

Joey - I really enjoyed your May report - and definitely agree on Trio (usually our first meal out) and Hotel LLenaire - but have to differ on our experience at Tiberi - or maybe they have changed their chef - the lomo con col I tried to eat there once was totally inedible:(

CathB 21-05-2014 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 94653)
Joey - I really enjoyed your May report - and definitely agree on Trio (usually our first meal out) and Hotel LLenaire - but have to differ on our experience at Tiberi - or maybe they have changed their chef - the lomo con col I tried to eat there once was totally inedible:(

I agree with you Rosie..the lomo con col I had in Tiberi was truly inedible..a tough slice of pork in cabbage and the sauce resembled a tin of tomato sauce..perhaps things have changed

joey36 21-05-2014 22:20

When we visited Tiberi the lomo con col was quite good but as I said in the report I would not rate Tiberi in the top ten or even top twenty of restaurants in the port

debz1 21-05-2014 23:49

Interesting trip report joey but I'm confused why you would choose to go to Tiberi on your last night when you rated it so poorly :confused:

scotslizzy 22-05-2014 06:21

Lovely Report

Really enjoyed reading your report but like Debz1 stated don't know if I would have gone back to a rest that was not that good ?

Cheers

Scotslizzy

joey36 22-05-2014 10:02

debz1 and scotslizzy yes i do see your point but we had only ever visited Tiberi once so we thought that we would give them a second chance.They received a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2014,were rated 7th out of 108 restaurants and had nearly 150 excellent reviews.Now i know that you should not believe everything that you read so maybe Tiberi being closed on a Tuesday
was fortuitous for us because we had a great meal at Bar Coral instead.

pollensafan 22-05-2014 13:02

Agree 100% about El Meson. As you say, don't be put off by the outside.:)

littlebird 22-05-2014 16:23

I am learning SO much here (and possibly dramatically overplanning our holiday but hey ho) - I'm scribbling things down in a wee notebook to remind myself when we get there. Hotel Llenaire definitely on the to-do list. Is it an easy enough walk joey? Which way did you go?

joey36 22-05-2014 17:49

The walk to the Hotel from the centre of PP took us about an hour. We walked along the front to Llenaire ,turned right at the island and followed the road to Pollensa, you can see the hotel from here so take the first right and follow your nose.The very last bit is a tad steep but not difficult.
You could also catch the bus along the front to or from Llenaire to save your legs a bit

littlebird 22-05-2014 18:07

Fab - thanks so much. We're actually staying towards that end of the port so it sounds perfect :)

El Gordo 22-05-2014 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebird (Post 94690)
I am learning SO much here (and possibly dramatically overplanning our holiday but hey ho) - I'm scribbling things down in a wee notebook to remind myself when we get there. Hotel Llenaire definitely on the to-do list. Is it an easy enough walk joey? Which way did you go?

Hi Littlebird

Its about 3.2 kilometres (2 miles) from the Port.
Google maps says it takes about 42 mins to walk.

Here is a link to the route Hotel Llenaire.

Lovely stroll but not in high heals or in the dark!! :eek:

Belladonna 22-05-2014 19:09

And that's why we always go by car EG! ;)

kate1 23-05-2014 09:54

Thanks for a great report Joey - thanks also for the recommendation of El Meson - I've always thought it looked good so now we will definitely give it a try next time we are out. The Llenaire terrace is lovely, isn't it - not on a windy day though, as we discovered in April - it was warm and sunny everywhere else, but after five minutes on top of the Llenaire hill I was blue with cold!

I know EXACTLY what your wife means about CSV!! It has a very strange atmosphere... the beaches are lovely but it never seems quite real...