Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2014, 18:36

Default April 2014

This will be the 3rd attempt to post this from my IPad as I sit in a very sunny Puerto Pollensa this late Monday afternoon. We arrived in the Port yesterday at mid day, the weather was a little overcast on the way up from Palma, but warm and sunny by the time we reached PP. Having been up since 4am and with no breakfast, we had a coffee in the Square and a little stroll. Most places seemed to be open, and there was quite a few people about, which certainly wasn't the case on our last visit over Christmas.

Our thoughts turned towards lunch, and we eventually decided on La Llonja, because it was absolutely glorious down by the Harbour, the sun was literally sparkling across the sea. We then had to decide on whether to eat downstairs at the back Cantina bar, which was already filling up with locals, (one could hear the clink of glasses as we approached from the roundabout), or upstairs in the main restaurant. We chose upstairs,there were several people sitting outside on the Terrace, but it was a little windy, so inside we went. The whole place was unusually busy for a lunchtime,but it was Easter Sunday, and there appeared to be a mix of locals, ex-pats and visitors. Miguel was his normal charming self, and his ever efficient staff were flying around with ice buckets, bottles of Cava and steaming platefuls of mussels, creating a wonderful atmosphere. Most people probably use La Llonja during the summer months when the tables are outside by the waters edge, but it's a lovely dining room inside, with huge windows that look out over the Marina and the sea was as blue as I have ever seen it.

A gin and tonic for Mrs. Pinewalker and a couple of small beers for myself, and all signs of jet-lag were quickly fading!. We both opted for the set menu, the mussels, done with coriander and served in a Thai style broth and a variation on a prawn cocktail, followed by John Dory and pork fillet, both with the usual trimmings, and finally some concoction of Ice Cream and fresh fruit. It was all cooked to perfection and quite delicious and was accompanied by a couple of bottles of Miguel's superb house Rose.

With coffee and the usual complimentary glasses of Baileys on ice, the bill was just under 87 euros, certainly not the cheapest meal we'll have this week, but for the location, ambience and general quality of service, it could not be faulted.

Last edited by pinewalker; 22-04-2014 at 13:09.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-04-2014, 18:44
Super Moderator

Lovely review Pinewalker, thank you for persevering and succeeding .
Old 21-04-2014, 20:02

Wonderful review of a great restaurant. I am literally salivating at the thought of those mussels
Old 22-04-2014, 06:27

Default I'm Just Jealous

As one of our def go to rests each time we visit and I cannot think of a better start to a holiday.

I actually like sitting inside as much as outside as, as you state the views are to die for.

Roll on June !

If you have the time please keep posting your reviews. For us sad people about to start the day it's a real pleasure to read the current reviews.

Cheers

Scotslizzy
Old 22-04-2014, 10:59

Default April 2014

Our first full day back in PP, and the usual dilemma. Woke up far too early and after a leisurely run down past the new Tangos and back, (reviving fond memories of Puerto Pollensa' s inaugural Road Race last July), followed by a light breakfast, as mid day approaches, we're both starving. To eat now or wait until this evening, that's the question. We pass by El Posito to check out Tony's meal of the day, but there's no roast suckling pig, (I seem to remember he does this as a special on Sundays).

Find ourselves down by the Marina and walk out towards Alcudia. Ca'n Joseph is quite busy and there are several "reserved" notices on the tables at Los Faroles, but nowhere is completely empty. Look across towards Stay, which seems do be doing a roaring trade. On closer inspection it's heaving, nearly all the tables outside are occupied, (I've not seen it this busy on a lunchtime in mid-summer) , and these guys aren't eating egg and chips, it's the full works in progress. Platefulls of fish in a variety of sauces and beers, Sangria, glasses of Cava and wine bottles by the truckload, all in encased in those horrible plastic coolers they now use since dispensing with ice buckets a couple of years back.

There's no sign of Señor Joseph but a couple of his regular Head Honchos appear to be holding the fort with their normal efficiency. We are sorely tempted and
I see an empty table down the end of the line furthest from the road that would have people fighting over it on a Saturday night in August,(no self-respecting Stayite likes to be seated on top of the Car Park!)

However, it suddenly comes over a little cloudy and the wind picks up so we make our way across to La Llonja where we decide we'll slum it with the locals in the back Cantina bar. It's quite busy but we grab a table on the back row and order two ice cold beers with some mixed nuts, (delicious) and some olives, (inedible). I go for the deep-fried Whitebait and fish croquettes from the specials board of Tapas, and Mrs. Pinewalker has the home-made burger with crispy bacon, together with a couple of bowls of chips on the side. Hardly fine dining, but delicious just the same, accompanied by a glass of Cava and an excellent dry white from Penedes.

The place is still busy and we're joined by two Spanish families, complete with small child and large dog, and a couple of Lycra-clad cyclists who commandeer two tables, one for them and one for the bikes, unbelievable!.

No matter, a splendid time was had by all , and the bill came to 46 euros. And so we wandered back across The Square for a much needed siesta and promised ourselves that tomorrow we'd try somewhere different and attempt to hold out until the evening.

debz1, Sparky, MalcolmS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pinewalker; 22-04-2014 at 13:16.
Old 22-04-2014, 15:05
Super Moderator

Sounds darned good to me Pinewalker .
Old 22-04-2014, 19:48

Sounds lovely, past it many times never ventured in, def on the list for this summer.
Old 23-04-2014, 10:58

Default April 2014

Market Day in PP without the crowds with coffee and freshly made ham and cheese rolls in Casa Manolo. It's great to see this place so busy, just like the old days when Manolo was running Bar Cultural across the other side of the Square, which I have to say, does not appear to be missed since it has been shut. The weather at 10.00am this morning is warm and sunny, with not a cloud in the sky.

Yesterday we managed to get through the day without succumbing, and at 7.00pm were on a pre-dinner walk through the town. El Posito was our preferred destination, but we thought we'd check out the opposition first. In the Square, Centrica seemed busy, (it's really taken off this year under the new management) and Tiberi's had quite a few in also. We wandered down to the start of the Pine Walk, and past Brisa Marina and the IRU, both were very quiet, but I have to keep reminding myself, it's only April. The wind picked up, and the sky suddenly turned quite black, so that dispelled any thoughts of eating outside, and back towards El Posito we went.

The normal welcoming greeting from Tony, who as usual was hovering outside, and in we went. There was already a few in and it had only just turned eight o' clock. A cold beer and a very large Gin & Tonic, and time to give his daily recommendations some serious thought. Tumbet, followed by Lamb Chops for Mrs. PW and Calamari in batter and Steak and Chips for myself. There's some serious eating to be had here, and I don't think the quality of the cooking can be bettered anywhere in The Port. The Calamari is new on the menu this year, and I know it's available everywhere these days, but this was truly exceptional.

The restaurant was filling up by now, with a very pleasant atmosphere. I understand from elsewhere on The Forum, there's been changes in the kitchen, but you'd never know it, everything was absolutely superb. The wine was a red from Binissalem, Ses Nines Negra, which incidentally, is available in the UK, mail order for £8-50 a bottle. This went down very well with the steak although Mrs PW settled for a glass of House Rose with the Lamb Chops, which I was told were delicious.

We managed a pudding between the two of us, a huge slice of freshly made Lemon Meringue Pie, which Tony produced with a great flourish. Coffee and Baileys, (on the house) concluded a memorable meal, the bill amounted to just under 100 euros. Altogether, a marvellous evening, the only thing missing being the company of our friends from the north, but hopefully that will be rectified later this year.

As a footnote as I write this, we've just walked past El Posito on our way back from the Market, and have been informed by Tony of his 10 euro Menu of the Day, which includes a Paella, Tumbet with fried eggs and chicken with garlic. I'll let you know tomorrow what happens!

Last edited by pinewalker; 23-04-2014 at 11:14.
Old 23-04-2014, 12:53

We must have been in casa manolo at the same times..those little rolls that they do are just right
Sparky likes this.

Eating Out
Old 24-04-2014, 10:09

Default April 2014

As Sparky has already mentioned, another glorious morning, not just warm, but positively hot and sunny at just after 10.00am. A very quiet day was had yesterday, after the magnificent meal we had the night before in El Posito

We did, however, return there for lunch yesterday, (Wednesday), mainly because as I said, earlier, we had seen Tony on our way back from the Market, and the Menu of the Day did look inviting.

Previously, we had only visited El Posito at lunchtime on a Sunday when the place is absolutely heaving, but thought we should go and keep him company because we'd probably be the only two in the place!. So in we wandered at about 1.30pm and just managed to grab the last table, (and there were already two couples sitting eating outside).

Vegetable Paella and chicken with garlic for me, fresh salad, followed by tumbet with fried eggs for Mrs. PW. Everything was again beautifully cooked, the paella in particular, with an additional kick of something quite spicy, was excellent. We even managed to get Tony to change the bottle of House Red included for a chilled Rose, complete with ice bucket. We both finished with a large slice of home made chocolate cake, with a great dollop of cream on the side, all for the princely sum of 20euros.

As we left a couple of hours later the, (mainly locals), were still coming through the door. At that price, I wasn't too surprised.
debz1, LK1960, Doogz1874 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by pinewalker; 24-04-2014 at 10:13.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:20
Super Moderator

Last night i told Toni about your good review and he said that you had been in for lunch, he and Damian (the chef) say thank you and they are glad you enjoyed your meals .
Doogz1874 and lollipop like this.
Old 25-04-2014, 11:59

Default April 2014

What a difference in 24 hours, yesterday an early morning run in bright, warm sunshine, today, thunderstorms and huge flashes of lightning. Last night we had dinner with a couple we met on our last visit here at Christmas. They live in the south of the island and are not familiar with PP's restaurants and we wanted to take them somewhere that we feel is a little special, but still within walking distance of the centre of town. For us, that would probably include Stay, La Terraza at the Illa D'or or La Llonja. As they had visited Stay at Christmas, and La Terraza is not yet open, La Llonja it was.

I managed to book a table with lovely views out over the Bay, which was just as well as by about 9.30pm the place was full. So, two glasses of Cava and four small beers later, we were all tucking in. All had ordered off the "specials" menu, with a few changes for which a small charge is made. Two Mussels, one Whitebait and one Tomato Tatin was followed by Grilled Hake Basque Style and Spring
Chicken marinated in fresh herbs. Pudding was Apple Strudel with ice cream, and needless to say, all was absolutely delicious. In particular my Grilled Hake was as good a piece of fish as I have ever had here.

Two bottles of house wine, one Red, one White was included in the set price, as was coffee and water, together with a choice of after dinner liquors and chocolates. The total cost for the four of us was 145 euros. I can't think of anywhere in the UK where one could obtain a meal of such quality, with that type of service, ambience and location for such a sum and I imagine one would be paying somewhere between seventy and eighty odd pounds per head.

Just one more reason why dining out in Puerto Pollenca is so special.
debz1, sws97sdg, Mark and 3 others like this.

Last edited by pinewalker; 25-04-2014 at 12:03.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalker View Post
What a difference in 24 hours, yesterday an early morning run in bright, warm sunshine, today, thunderstorms and huge flashes of lightning. Last night we had dinner with a couple we met on our last visit here at Christmas. They live in the south of the island and are not familiar with PP's restaurants and we wanted to take them somewhere that we feel is a little special, but still within walking distance of the centre of town. For us, that would probably include Stay, La Terraza at the Illa D'or or La Llonja. As they had visited Stay at Christmas, and La Terraza is not yet open, La Llonja it was.

I managed to book a table with lovely views out over the Bay, which was just as well as by about 9.30pm the place was full. So, two glasses of Cava and four small beers later, we were all tucking in. All had ordered off the "specials" menu, with a few changes for which a small charge is made. Two Mussels, one Whitebait and one Tomato Tatin was followed by Grilled Hake Basque Style and Spring
Chicken marinated in fresh herbs. Pudding was Apple Strudel with ice cream, and needless to say, all was absolutely delicious. In particular my Grilled Hake was as good a piece of fish as I have ever had here.

Two bottles of house wine, one Red, one White was included in the set price, as was coffee and water, together with a choice of after dinner liquors and chocolates. The total cost for the four of us was 145 euros. I can't think of anywhere in the UK where one could obtain a meal of such quality, with that type of service, ambience and location for such a sum and I imagine one would be paying somewhere between seventy and eighty odd pounds per head.

Just one more reason why dining out in Puerto Pollenca is so special.

Great review of a lovely restaurant that has improved steadily over years. As you say the quality, service and location of La Llonja is excellent, as is the impossible to beat price of their set menu. Can't wait to go again soon
Sparky likes this.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:44

Great reviews pinewalker. Missing pp so it's great to read such detailed reviews while eating my soup listening to the rain on the conservatory roof!
Old 25-04-2014, 14:06

Thanks for these fantastic and atmospheric reviews Pinewalker! Am kicking myself now for not making it to El Posito over the Easter fortnight - have to wait until October now! We had a good meal in La Llonja too in early April, though I would recommend anyone going there to choose the fish rather than a meat dish - which in my view they don't do so well (have had average lamb shoulder and lamb chops there - but on the other hand, their steaks are great). OH had the chicken with herbs dish too and said it was excellent!