Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Lunch Time In Puerto Pollensa (almost live reports) (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/11130-lunch-time-puerto-pollensa-almost-live-reports.html)

Sunshinedrive 01-04-2014 15:42

Lunch Time In Puerto Pollensa (almost live reports)

Had a great lunch at the Mexican resturant on the front just before Capri (Dakota???) kids ate a superbly fresh pizza, I had caeser salad all cooked perfectly and great service.
Today we had lunch at 'jokers'. Kids again had pizza (not as soft as the dough yesterday), I had chicken Mexican burger and the mrs had a veg sandwich. Inlaws had fish. Service again was extremely good, the house wine was better than last year (a little vinigary last time out)
Would go back to both again but the pizza at Dakotas???? Was superb!

MairiCladach 01-04-2014 16:55

Thanks for the review - we have eaten at neither but tempted to try now. We often go to Joker's for a late afternoon G&T, always great service and very relaxing place to sit and watch the world go by. Had never been sure about the food though so will definitely give them a go next week!:)

mwc 02-04-2014 14:57

Is Dakota/Tex Mex opposite Bony's in the square open as I'm sure I read on here it was to be closing or taken over.

Sparky 02-04-2014 15:03

Not sure if it's open yet but it is still a "Dakota Tex-Mex", the frontage has been changed and it is now called a "Steakhouse" which is the same as the one where the old "Kekab" place was on the frontline.

Sunshinedrive 02-04-2014 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 93175)
Not sure if it's open yet but it is still a "Dakota Tex-Mex", the frontage has been changed and it is now called a "Steakhouse" which is the same as the one where the old "Kekab" place was on the frontline.

Yes it was the steakhouse one opposite the Ben and jerry's ice cream shop.

As for today I ate at Port 31. On my own as the OH and kids were having a nap (2 days for 1 in PP!) I have the chicken salad (lettuce cherry tomatoes apple and walnuts with a sauce) and a vino blanco seco. Extremely friendly service and the food was fantastic, a good ambience to, busy but not slow. I Recommend!-)

CathB 02-04-2014 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinedrive (Post 93178)
Yes it was the steakhouse one opposite the Ben and jerry's ice cream shop.

As for today I ate at Port 31. On my own as the OH and kids were having a nap (2 days for 1 in PP!) I have the chicken salad (lettuce cherry tomatoes apple and walnuts with a sauce) and a vino blanco seco. Extremely friendly service and the food was fantastic, a good ambience to, busy but not slow. I Recommend!-)

Port 31 is one of our favourites too :)

MairiCladach 02-04-2014 16:25

Me too CathB, love Port 31, had many great lunches and a lovely dinner there last summer. The staff are really friendly and efficient, and the owner has a lively sense of humour! We are both huge fans of their sardines, always so fresh and cooked to perfection, and their set menu tapas selection offers a filling and diverse range of flavours.:)

Sunshinedrive 02-04-2014 16:35

I'm defiantly going to have the tapas next time, and there will be a next time:-)

CathB 02-04-2014 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MairiCladach (Post 93182)
Me too CathB, love Port 31, had many great lunches and a lovely dinner there last summer. The staff are really friendly and efficient, and the owner has a lively sense of humour! We are both huge fans of their sardines, always so fresh and cooked to perfection, and their set menu tapas selection offers a filling and diverse range of flavours.:)

Agree with about the sardines and I also love the salad lunchtimes..have had both the set tapas menu and ordered individual..all really good..Cant wait now just over two weeks to go :D

Sunshinedrive 03-04-2014 13:14

Just eaten at Dakota again, this time a pizza diabola, very good again. All our family's food was great. Again quality service.

A quick question, are the cafe 1919 and Dakota connected as their snack menus are almost identical as are the drinks menus????

Sparky 03-04-2014 13:57

Yes, the Australian Boulevard/Dakota Tex Mex group run 4 restaurants, Cafe 1919, Australian bar, O'Haras and the small Tabac shop next door.
All the hot food is cooked in a central kitchen out of the Port and then re-heated in the individual restaurants.

Ronnie 03-04-2014 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 93232)
Yes, the Australian Boulevard/Dakota Tex Mex group run 4 restaurants, Cafe 1919, Australian bar, O'Haras and the small Tabac shop next door.
All the hot food is cooked in a central kitchen out of the Port and then re-heated in the individual restaurants.

I don't like the sound of having to eat re - heated food!!!!!

gemmakate 03-04-2014 17:03

Re-heated food?!
That's exactly what I thought!

On a separate note, I really like the almost live trip reports! What a good idea sunshinedrive, I always intend to post my experiences but by the time I've got home and back into the school run and mayhem it never seems to happen.
Watch this space...!

Sunshinedrive 03-04-2014 17:47

Thanks, who know where we will go tomorrow, stayed tuned!
May even sample some half price bonys tonight:-) that sounds so wrong hehe :-)

mwc 04-04-2014 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie (Post 93248)
I don't like the sound of having to eat re - heated food!!!!!

The place seems sometimes to get a bad wrap, though to be fair if you are in PP for a fairly lengthy time or holiday it does make a nice change instead of the normal cuisine served up in the many great restaurants. We have eaten in the one opposite Bony's a few times just for a change, as sometimes the kids (gonna have to stop saying that as one is 17 now) might want nachos, burger or something basic & to be fair we have always found the food good with good service at a fairly cheap price.

Nick 04-04-2014 14:55

Interesting how you enjoy eating at Dakota's mwc, which I hasten to add I also enjoy now and again for the same reason as you, a change, yet how some time ago you berated me for using the Burger King on the sea front! Not a massive difference between the two as you can both eat on their premises!!

It's nice that PP caters for every taste and budget.

mwc 04-04-2014 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah (Post 93282)
Interesting how you enjoy eating at Dakota's mwc, which I hasten to add I also enjoy now and again for the same reason as you, a change, yet how some time ago you berated me for using the Burger King on the sea front! Not a massive difference between the two as you can both eat on their premises!!

It's nice that PP caters for every taste and budget.

I wouldn't go as strong as berating you, neither would I put Burger King take away on the front in the same category as Steakhouse opposite bonys which do a little more than a soggy burger & chips, though each to their own !!!

Sunshinedrive 04-04-2014 15:47

Took the family to port 31 today, this time I had the jalapeņo burger. Was perfectly made and again tip top service. Think we'll try somewhere new tomorrow.
So far this holiday we have had a great lunch every time, hope I've not jinxed it :-)

El Gordo 04-04-2014 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah (Post 93282)
..............It's nice that PP caters for every taste and budget.

I agree, its when there is no choice you start to lose the cosmopolitan feel that PP has, catering for all tastes. :D

Lets hope we can keep this variety by supporting them. :cool:

Sunshinedrive 04-04-2014 21:53

The steak house opposite bonys isn't open yet, but there are a lot of people with keys opening the doors of the new steak house. Been to bonys again tonight, awesome!

mwc 04-04-2014 22:07

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinedrive (Post 93293)
The steak house opposite bonys isn't open yet, but there are a lot of people with keys opening the doors of the new steak house. Been to bonys again tonight, awesome!

mwc 04-04-2014 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwc (Post 93294)

Must say your posts are a breath of fresh air, great to see your enthusiasm for PP, it passes so quickly when most of us are their, we forget to sing its praises.

Rosie34 05-04-2014 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gordo (Post 93290)
I agree, its when there is no choice you start to lose the cosmopolitan feel that PP has, catering for all tastes. :D

Lets hope we can keep this variety by supporting them. :cool:

Re the Burger King on the front - there always seems to be lots of 'locals' eating there whenever we go past - presume they just need a bit of a change from eating good Mallorcan cooking so great that there is a such a choice;);)

Sparky 05-04-2014 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 93301)
Re the Burger King on the front - there always seems to be lots of 'locals' eating there whenever we go past - presume they just need a bit of a change from eating good Mallorcan cooking so great that there is a such a choice;);)

Absolutely Rosie and the locals also use the Chinese and Indian restaurants and i even know a few that love a good roast beef and Yorkshire pudding lunch ;).

Sunshinedrive 05-04-2014 13:11

Back to joker for lunch today. I had the fidequay which is a noodle paella with bacon, sausage, mushrooms and an olive. It was very nice indeed. They are so good with the kids to. 10/10!

Sunshinedrive 06-04-2014 12:52

We dined at the wonderful IRU today for lunch.
I had the tagliatelle with cheese sauce and walnuts, my wife had the veg ravioli and we shared a goats cheese and roasted veg puff pastry with a raspberry sauce.
We are here for tea last year and the food was awesome, again the food was delightful. You pay the price more at IRU but it is well worth it.
The food with a glass of vino blanco each came to €40 on the nose.
Again, well worth it!

Bekki 06-04-2014 13:01

port 31

Where abouts is port 31?

Sunshinedrive 06-04-2014 16:35

Next to brisa's just up from the daina hotel

Sunshinedrive 07-04-2014 14:52

Not eaten lunch today but wife, kids and inlaws are at cafe 1919, food looked nice but took ages to arrive, not their usual good service today I'm afraid. It wasn't to busy either.

Sunshinedrive 08-04-2014 16:11

Hola peeps.
Don corleone was the resturant of choice today for lunch. Spinach and chicken pizza was for me, very good too.
Viva mallorca:-)

Sunshinedrive 09-04-2014 19:14

Are our final lunch at imperial bar today, very good service 'quick!'
Very nice food to, I had chicken croquettes, meatballs and garlic bread, all very nice indeed!

varsp 09-04-2014 20:35

Has the interior/exterior been changed and is Toni still working there ?

El Gordo 09-04-2014 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by varsp (Post 93480)
Has the interior/exterior been changed and is Toni still working there ?

Its no longer run as a music bar. It is now run by new people as a tapas restaurant.

Looks very nice with table cloths on all the tables, and well supported. :cool:

Toni is not there...probs still in the Canaries. ;)

Gone are the days of music with Roley, Nicki, Phil and Dennis(Elvis) :(

varsp 09-04-2014 22:08

We had some FANTASTIC times in the Imperial , miss the singing and all the good fun !

Sunshinedrive 10-04-2014 04:43

It was very quaint. I enjoyed it, but they need to do quick turn arounds to make a to of it, but we never felt rushed! People going in all the time. Give it a try.

Sunshinedrive 10-04-2014 04:48

Unfortunately they will be no 'almost live lunchtime reports' today as I'll be on the plane sampling jet2's finest cuisine!
It's been a pleasure posting these reports and I hope it inspires more people to do so. I'll certainly do more next visit and look forward to reading about everyone's expirences this season in puerto pollensa.

Happy holidays :-)

scotslizzy 10-04-2014 06:40

Loved the daily Reports

Thanks Sunshinedrive for all the reports as you brought PP that wee bit closer.

I always enjoys reading reports of other peoples experiences good and bad and it allows you to consider whether or not to give some places a try.

Don't know if I will be that disciplined in reporting back when it's our turn to visit PP.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

Sparky 10-04-2014 09:19

Thanks for your posts Sunshinedrive, i am so glad you enjoyed your holiday and wish you a safe journey home :D.