Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-2005, 19:32

Default Ca'n Costa - The Sequel

I seem to remember writing not so long ago that "It would take a lot to tempt me back to Ca'n Costa". However, never say never and after Chelseadons recommendation I was lured back to Pollensa on our first evening.

We strolled up to the restaurant to book a table, but when we arrived after a drink in the square, it was very quiet, with just one other couple dining.

The restaurant has become even prettier than before - lots of candles everywhere (the foyer itself is beautiful and very atmospheric) and deep burgundy throws and cushions adorning the cream sofas where we studied the menu over a drink and nibbles.

The menu didn't seem to have changed much since we visited last October and I chose Pa Amb Oli with scrambled eggs and chorizo to start while hubby opted for chicken liver pate.

For mains we chose oven-roasted pork fillet (me) and the rack of lamb for hubby. Other main courses included grilled beef or ostrich, tuna steak, calves liver and chicken breast.

We chose a Mallorcan wine, the Son Bordils Syrah, which the waiter, who looked a bit like a young John Travolta, decanted expertly using a wonderful contraption that "sprayed" the wine into the decanter giving it lots of air to breathe and release its lovely aromas.

We nibbled on a selection of home-made seeded breads with two dips, one of which contained balsamic vinegar and an appetiser of asparagus spears wrapped in salmon.

Our starters were delicious - my scrambled eggs were cooked to perfection and the chunks of chorizo sausage were lovely and spicy!

Our main courses were beautifully presented with a layered terrine of vegetables and tiny sauteed potatoes. The lamb was moist and tender and hubby definitely gave it the thumbs up!

The wine was delicious - smooth and velvety with a hint of spiciness.

For dessert hubby chose the cheese board, while I went for the chocolate fondant. The young waiter brought a trolley over to the table and explained to hubby where each cheese came from which was a nice touch. As for my chocolate fondant...well! It was Meg Ryan all over again, only more so!!
It was utterly gorgeous and definitely on a par with the dessert at Trencadora. Served with ice-cream and a spun sugar decoration, I was in heaven!!

Over the course of the meal we met one half of the new owners, Cynthia, who with her husband re-opened the restaurant at Easter. They hail from Wetherby in North Yorkshire and their son William is the chef. They are lovely people and I sincerely hope they make a success of Ca'n Costa. I'm sure with the food and the friendly efficient service
they will succeed and I can only hope that the standards we experienced will last over the busy summer months.

The bill came to 105 euros (not including tip) which included drinks and wine.

Jane

Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2005, 04:34
JMD40

At last! Can Costa was one of my favourite venues for a romantic evening out with hubby - we went there on our first date - and I have been trying to find someone who has been since April when the new owners took over. I understand they have spent a lot of money on refurbishing which surprised me as it was just beautiful as it was but sounds like you were impressed, Jane. Thank you for the wonderful description of the menu and service - cannot wait to return there again when we have some extra cash and husband has a night off and meanwhile I can safely continue to recommend it. Sounds to me like you were on a working holiday as you have returned and completed all the reports on all the different subjects - well done - when are you next over here in PP?:b
Old 21-05-2005, 04:55

Hello JMD40,

Like you, I am delighted that Ca'n Costa has been restored to how we knew it when we first visited in 1996.

The decor hasn't really changed that much - still very beautiful with the old camera/film equipment still proudly displayed, but I think the new owners have spent a lot of money in the kitchen - a fairly important area in my opinion! I think the chairs are new as well, but they seem determined to make a success of the place and I'm hoping that the word will spread.

I can only thank Chelseadons for mentioning the new owners and to hubby for persuading me to go!

As for our few days in PP, we enjoyed every minute and it's great reliving it through the forum! Makes coming home that little bit easier to bear.

We're out again on the 20th August and I must admit I'm going to do very little except lie in the sun and enjoy a glass of vino or two!

Regards
Jane