Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2004, 06:18

Default Balaixa

What a reputation preceded this restaurant and what a loyal following it has on the forum. We couldn't wait to try it!

On arrival, we were offered either a poolside table or a table inside, but because, like a good white wine, we were well-chilled by a couple of hours sitting in the square in Pollensa, we chose to eat inside.

On reflection this may have been a mistake on our part as we were seated in a small ante-room all by ourselves

Described as an old Mallorcan farmhouse we were taken "aback" by the bright blue walls and the almost gothic predominance of dripping candles.

However, our food was delicious. I really pushed the boat out by ordering the foie gras starter, served on apple bread and accompanied by a glass of sweet mallorcan wine. Hubby chose the cheese, pear and tomato salad which was huge.

For the main course we both opted for the chicken wrapped in ham and pastry and stuffed with cheese. Hubby couldn't manage a dessert but true to my cause I manfully chose the chocolate souffle (sorry - not as good as Trencadora).

We sat in splendid isolation for the whole night except for three cats who seemed to rule the roost. And unfortunately, this is where Balaixa fell foul of us.

We have always accepted cats who roam around tables as a part of life if you eat outside (in Greece, for example) but here, in a well-run, professional establishment, we were shocked to see two cats, on two separate occasions, pick their way daintily across a table laid for four, dislodging cutlery as they went.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for this and I am sure our Spanish waitress knew how shocked we were. Added to this the huge dog who then appeared, we thought for one moment we were in some surreal dream.

Bill was 89 euros with drinks, wine (Rioja) and coffee.

Verdict: Undoubtedly a great setting, interesting decor and delicious food. Service was polite, friendly and efficient, but the owners, who were present, have to do something about the cats. I love them, but not when I'm eating!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2005, 04:02
Carole H

Default Re: Unknown

I have just returned from my 22nd consecutive year to PP and as usual had a wonderful week - the difference this time was it was the first time without any of my children.....wonderful!!......I was finally free to try some of the more up market restaurants now there was only a bill for 2 instead of the usual 5 with the children.....one of the places my boyfriend and I went to was Balaixa - it was the best evening of our holiday......it almost felt as if we were guests at a private dinner party with the informal but attentive and friendly service from the owner and his wife...we both enjoyed the beef wellingtons - we sat by the pool after dinner and chatted with the chef - the onwer coming over every now and again to top our glasses up - we stayed late but were not hurried away.....would have liked to go back during the day for lunch and use the pool but did not have time to fit it in this year - but there's always next time......
Old 10-07-2005, 04:13

Hi Carole!

So glad you had a good time at Balaixa and I'm a bit upset that the rest of the replies to this post have been lost as Balaixa has a loyal following on the forum.

The food and the ambience is wonderful without a doubt and I'm looking forward to a meal in August with other forum members!

In October we opted to eat indoors but I'm looking forward to a warm and heavenly night next month under the stars!!

Jane
Old 10-07-2005, 19:47
Pauln90

I will be off with my wife and other family members to PP again next saturday - our fourth consecutive year and would like to add my appreciation of the food and service at Balaixa.
It was from reading reviews on this website that alerted me to all the fine eating places in PP.

We visited Balaixa last year and had a great time the owner and his wife were very welcoming and we spent a wonderful relaxed time sat at a table by the pool.

I have already e-mailed a reservation for our forthcoming visit and cant wait to sample the fine food and wonderful service once again.
Old 26-07-2005, 20:55
cheniesbucks

We have been visiting PP for the last 7 ish years and have always liked to go to Ca'n Pacienci each year. This year after reading about the Balaixa on this website we dicided to try it instead of the Pacienci. We are so glad that we did, we can honestly say that the Balaixa has blown Ca'n Pacienci out of the water as regards being our favourite restaurant in the area!!The food was absolutely gorgeous - couldn't fault it, the english owners were very hospitable, friendly and attentative and the setting - around the poolside looking out to the mountains was superb!!! The owners presented us with a v nice bottle of red on our leaving and welcomed us to bring our children for a luncheon during our stay too. (We decided against this only because our 5 and nearly two year old daughters couldn't sit still for a minute even tho' they would have loved the pool)
We have already booked our annual villa holiday for next summer and have pushed the boat out and booked a week over my birthday in march too! (I know it won't be warm but who cares it'll just be nice to be going back to the region that we love so much) SO, Balaixa hope you're open in March of next year cos we'll deffo see you then if you are, and also we'll visit again in the summer of next year too! If you haven't been to this restaurant - you must- we think it it just fab!!Well done all who run it, serve in it and cook in it!!! ps... Ca'n Pacienci who?......
Old 26-07-2005, 21:50

I rest my case!!:rollin :rollin
Old 27-07-2005, 23:30
PennyWhite

Because of reviews on this website I lookied out for Balaixa when we were over, hubby wasn't too impressed with the entrance as it does appear to be marooned in a small industrial estate... however on their way back from playing golf they called in and were so impressed by the look of it and the menu he booked a table for that night. We were all so impressed that evening we made another reservation for Sunday lunch so we could use the pool.
Now, can't quite remember what we had... son had mussels to start both times I think, which must be a recommendation in itself, I had the liver to start first time... hmmmm wine must have kicked in after that. I had the roast lamb for Sunday lunch (true Brit), it was all delicious and it seemed to be largely a family run affair, very relaxed and friendly service, artistic and quirky surroundings, no untoward animal life, I would have definitely noticed if we were pestered as it is a no no to me too. One of the best (but there are a few!!)
Old 13-08-2005, 05:09
pinot g

We too went to Balaixa for the first time last week after reading alot of favourable reviews. I must say that I was rather disapointed with my visit. Nothing to do with the food or service which were both excellent, more to do with the people who felt they had to lay their towels out on the sunbeds to claim their space while they were eating. We found this all too "package holiday" and it really spoilt our lunch. It also had a very "British" Sunday lunch atmosphere,a party of about 18 on one table seemed to overtake the place. I m sure this is not the image they wish to portray. I will go back in October, hopefully the towels around the pool will be a distant memory.
Old 13-08-2005, 07:07
easylife

Pinot G

I know exactly what you mean about the towels on sunbeds. I went to Balaixa in July on a Weds. lunchtime - on my own (hubby and son went to a waterpark) as a treat. Apart from myself there were only two other couples there and one couple felt it necessary to put out their towels. Goodness knows why as there was obviously plenty of room. Anyway the other couples didn't stay very long and I spent a blissful afternoon sunbathing and swimming and had the pool all to myself. Oh - the food and service were great too. I'll be back in PP in Oct. too, maybe we'll bump into one another and i promise not to put my towel on the sunbeds.
Old 13-08-2005, 18:05
robjay

One hotel I stayed in a few years back had a noticed display which read " staff have been instructed to remove all towels from all unoccupied sun loungers" the staff did and it worked, if you left your sunbed for half an hour or more you could pick your towel up at the bar. always spare sunloungers round that pool!.

Rob