Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Rosie34
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By Rosie34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 12:56

Smile Trip report - 3 weeks in October

We got back last week after 3 great weeks – never been for more than 2 before and wondered if I would get bored on the third week – not the case! The longer we stayed, the more at home we felt.

We were in a lovely apartment overlooking La Gola, with the sea to the left and the mountains to the right – there was always something interesting to see – whether it was the little egret (or little eejit as we called him!), the grey heron, cormorants, and of course the countless ducks who always made me laugh with their ‘Smash’ type quacking at all hours of the day and night!

The La Gola area is lovely and peaceful – but spoiled by the dog poo on the paths – despite the notice warning of a 60euro fine for not clearing it up – such a shame really.

Sparky couldn’t make the Tuesday morning as she was not well so there was just us and Animagic and her husband. We were there for hours just chatting and drinking coffee etc so it was a really nice way to spend half a day.
We had intended going to Capri for lunch but it was so late when our get together finished – we just strolled back to the apartment for a sandwich!

Anyway to food. Our eating experiences ranged from the sublime to the frankly inedible. I did make some notes but have lost them so here goes from memory.

Trio

What can I say about this great restaurant – friendly service and good food and great value. We went there twice and enjoyed the set 3 course menu at about 16 euros each. OH says the mussels starter takes some beating! And their warm rolls with alioli are the best!

Il Angelo

We love this friendly traditional Italian restaurant – and we did 2 visits here including the last night. We had the pizza both times – OH had the massive Mr Monaco and I had the Cuatro Estaciones – delicious! I think the bill was about 34 euros each time including a glass of wine for me etc (and the Mr Monaco was the most expensive pizza on the menu at 18 euros)

Brisa Marina

Also 2 visits – the MDD the first time which was great value (inc wine) at about the same price as Trio. And the waiter remembered us from last summer we had a nice welcome. On the second visit OH had the Parradilla (probably wrong word, but close) which was massive plate of various grilled fish –he loved it! I had the MDD again as I do like the chicken in mushroom sauce and the chocolate mousse (no – not together!)

La Razza

Now I have probably got the name wrong! It’s on the corner just down from Il Angelo. We had quite a nice meal there – Pasta Arrabiata main was really tasty. I think the bill was about 34 euros.

Capri

This is the perfect setting on a warm day for lunch – Trampo salad and the Avocado prawn salad for me – just sitting watching the sea and the boats – perfect. Bill about 30 euros.

Tolos

We walked out of Tolos a couple of years ago after sitting for 20 minutes without a menu. But as it was a few minutes walk from our apartment, we decided to give it another go. We are so glad we did! OH had mussels which he said were even better than Trio! I ordered the Calamares for a starter, and saw a waiter carrying a piled high plate of them and thought that somebody must have ordered them for a main course – wrong – they were my starter!! Delicious though. We both had risotto for the main – mine a veg and his a seafood. More enormous helpings but I was just so full after the calamares I could not do justice to it – delicious though it was. It was such a busy restaurant and people kept coming and coming. So there is a lot to be said for giving somewhere another try! Bill about 49 euros.

Cellar la Parra

This was the first restaurant we ever ate in in PP – 20 years ago and I do think it has to one of the best in the port. We booked a table and a veg Paella – which was just perfect, and with wine for me and water and coffee for OH – the bill came to a whopping 27 euros!! On our next visit we had starters and the chicken in pepper sauce for me and the pork for him – best chicken I have ever had – so perfectly cooked. Think the bill was about 40+ euros. We noticed on both occasions the number of people they had to turn away – it is absolutely essential to book. We went again with Animagic and her husband and this time I had the plain grilled chicken – perfect. The bill for 4 of us including wine etc was about 80 euros – excellent value.

El Ancla

After reading good reports about this restaurant, we thought we would give it a try – although it was quite a walk from our apartment. Oh dear – not worth the shoe leather! I honestly think it was the worst meal we have ever been presented with in PP and surrounding areas. We went inside as none of the outside tables was set up for a meal and there was just another couple in front of us. It did seem a bit dreary inside and the waiter was not the friendliest we have ever met either. So we ordered grilled vegetables to start, a mushroom omelette for my main and OH ordered grilled sole. After quite a wait the ‘grilled vegetables’ arrived. I wish I had taken a photo of the mess in a dish put before us! I will try to describe it – a large bowl of a mixture of boiled diced veg – peas, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes etc – swimming in butter – it was piled high. We just stared at it and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!! I tasted a bit and it wasn’t good. OH insisted on speaking to the manager who said that ‘they grill things differently in Spain’ – tell that to La Goleta where we had delicious grilled veg later. We sent it back and then the main courses staggered over. I couldn’t eat the omelette as it was dry flavourless and not appetising. OH’s ‘grilled’ sole was fried and dry. We paid and left as soon as possible – they didn’t charge for the ‘grilled veg’. Think the bill was about 28 euros.
We were then surprised when we went outside and it was packed!! Shades of Simbads come to mind – or were we just unlucky? But we will not (ever) go back to try again!

La Goleta

Delicious grilled veg to start with and I had a Mallorcan chicken casserole for main which was good but I can’t remember what OH had now but he really enjoyed it! I think the bill was about 40 euros.

We also had a good breakfast here one morning.

(Just seen Sparky's post that they have closed for good - this is not good news - I can never understand why the good restaurants 'go' and yet there are a few rubbish (imo) ones that seem to flourish)

Bellavista

We did give Bella Vista another try – but the menu was still the same as last time – if you fancy butternut lasagne or anything with squash in it – you would probably enjoy. But they used to have such a wonderful selection in the past – spicy noodles, spring rolls, perfect moussaka and the best pizze (imo) in the port. So we sat down, looked at the menu and left.

Outside the port

We had lunch at the lovely Hotel Llenaire – such a peaceful spot. We were greeted by the owner(?) and were the only people there. So we had a delicious lunch of focaccia bread with grilled chicken and grilled veg, and grilled veg on toasted bread. (just nobody seems to do their grilled veg the same way as El Ancla). Then we had coffee on the other terrace – all on our own. Some people did arrive after about an hour and a half. But thanks to Fil for discovering this lovely place.

We booked a table at Il Giardino in Pollensa town for our anniversary. Perfect bruschetta to start, then Tortellini Romantica for me and a fish done in foil with other seafood inside for OH. This was followed by the lightest Tiramisu we have ever eaten. Then a complimentary Limoncello. The bill (including a glass of wine, and water and coffee) was 85 euros. So a bit of a blowout but worth every penny!

So now I am just checking the webcam every day (and it still looks glorious weather!) and counting the sleeps till 29 May next year!
jiggggy, Mark, El Gordo and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-10-2013, 19:59

Shame about your experience at El Ancla. Having walked past on many occasions we went with some friends and have returned several times since. Never had a bad meal yet, don't usually order starter as Main too big.
Old 27-10-2013, 23:13
Super Moderator

Great trip report Rosie, sorry i missed you and also that you had a bad meal at El Ancla, i really hope it was a one off because i have honestly never experienced that. Yes the service is slow at times but for me that just means everything is cooked to order.
lollipop likes this.
Old 29-10-2013, 11:18

Hope to meet up next June, Sparky

It never fails to surprise me at the different experiences people have at the same restaurants (Think Tribeca - and yet we had a really good meal there). I would never dream of 'slating' a restaurant for the sake of it - but this was really a bad meal And yet your and Lollipop's experience was quite the opposite - as I am sure lots of other people's was.)

But one disappointment out of 3 weeks of perfect food is not bad
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 29-10-2013, 14:30

Proves it's always worth reading the reviews on the Forum because time and time again, the very best restaurants are the ones receiving consistently good reviews. There are three or four restaurants I can think of where I have never, ever seen anyone post a negative review. Inconsistent service and food quality should be rewarded by unfilled tables. After all, who wants to turn up in the hope that they'll catch the restaurant on a good day!