Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2005, 02:36

Default Late dinner and Cafes

Came across a Collins Phrase Book-Spanish-1967 edition and from the section "Food Drinks And Restaurants" I see the following.

"Dinner is from 9pm in the north to 11pm in the south. Should these somewhat late hours prove to be trying to the Anglo Saxon stomach any tavern will provide a variety of appetisers such as prawns, squid, anchovies , eggs, cheese, crisps , olives, peanuts, and roasted thrushes to see you through".

Roasted thrushes eh? From the Peter Kerr books thrushes are apparently the ultimate enemy to olive farmers eating the crop so the farmers have a good road for them!!

Further down I read.

"Spain still retains some of the vast nineteenth century cafes with mirrors marble and venerable waiters that are unknown in Britain or the USA. Should your shoes require cleaning a shoeblack: limpiabotas attached to the cafe is at your service"

And a little further "Spanish waiters are quick to spot a client, but if you wish to attract the attention of one you may either hiss or clap your hands."

Now some of you have been frequenting PP and the old town know about many of these establishments and customs but I'd probably say to a first time visitor just to take it easy and observe what others do before rushing in and trying too hard to get on the wavelength! :rollin :rollin

Where does the shoeblack hang out anyway?

You can always see his good work on the seafront of an evening! :rollin
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2005, 16:50

Hi Portofan,
there is a shoe black in Palma Airport. His name is Alejandro and he sits opposite the escalators as you come up after checking in. He was reported to lament the fact that fewer people are wearing formal shoes, and the rise in trainers over the last few years.
As far as Thrush is concerned, I think you will find it on quite a few menus in PP, it often comes wrapped in cabbage. (The Thrush, not the menu)
Old 15-08-2005, 17:06

Yes Mallorcaboy and Buenas dias!

Have seen a bootblack at Malaga Airport but not yet at Palma.
Reduced to using a tissue to shine up the brogues on way home will look out for Alejandro next trip. Might get an odd look as I'll be wearing my Shellie!!

And the thrushes.
In an establishment we both know in PP have seen and crunched on the little bones in the Arroz Brut! Tasty though!!

:lol :lol