Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 05:00
Alison

Default Need some recommendations

Hi first time poster in need of some help!

Been coming to Mallorca (specifically PP) for over 20 years now and used to have an extensive list of favourite restaurants. Unfortunately as time has gone on places have closed or changed hands and our list is rapidly dwindling - hoping you would all be able to recommend some new places to try.

Long term favourites are:

Ca'n Pacienci
Ca'n Cuarassa
Ivy Garden
Tango
Clivia
Il Giardino

Used to like Ca'n Costa but not been for years (since Pierre and Nathalie left) although I have read good things about it under the new owners.

Hope you can help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2005, 07:21

Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum!

Ca'n Costa has changed hands and we enjoyed the food and surroundings there back in May. Our meal was delicious and if you want to know more I wrote a message on it which should be on page 2 (or even 3) of the eating and drinking out section. I also recently posted a message asking if anyone had been within the last few weeks and there were two good reviews by members.

I can also recommend Trencadora and Cantonet - scroll through the E&D out section and you will find them in there somewhere. Both are lovely restaurants and you may need to book. Trencadora has an advert on the list to the left of this page - "Once You're There - Eating out" but I'm not sure about the phone number for Cantonet.

Other favourites in PP would include El Posito and La Fortalesa - again just scroll through the pages and you will find lots of information.

Hope you have a great time
Jane

OH Sorry!! Forgot to mention Balaixa! Mallorcaboy will kill me!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 19:38
Alison

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the recommendations will definitely give these a go in September when I am next in PP.

Cheers
Alison
Old 09-08-2005, 22:43
PennyWhite

We went to PP for the first time in July and were very impressed with Stay and A Punt, also enjoyed the outdoor restaurant at Illa dOr for the setting (menu a bit restricted but great gazpacho). And the above as mentioned by Jane of course!! Ca'n Guarassa (sister restaurant to Stay) and Balaixa need a special mention from our family.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:38
Lady Pollenca

Hi Alison, youv'e been given a great list of restaurants, would just like to add La Terraza which I know is outside of PP in Alcanada Alcudia but well worth a visit for food,service and location.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:42
chelseadons

Default Need Some Recommendations

Make sure you also visit Los Zarzales and IRU. The former is family run has a lovely open air garden and serves great mallorcan food. The latter even though its on the frontline is rated as one of the top 40 restaurants in mallorca. Not to be missed either of them !!!

Chelseadons
Old 11-08-2005, 23:45
Alison

Default Re: Need Some Recommendations

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I know where all of these are except La Terraza. Lady Pollenca could you describe how to get there from Alcudia old town?

many thanks
Old 22-08-2005, 06:38
loolabell

Default Restaurants - August 2005

Just returned back from 2 weeks in PP and as usual we had some fantastic meals. I had done some research on here and we tried some of them out.

We went to La Font des galles (sp?) in old town for lunch and that was lovely - lady was Scottish and very polite and hospitable.

Stay - best meal in 2 weeks

Tiberi - as always fab waiters, great home cooked food

Laroc - best italian pizzas but we nly had them as takeaways after long days out.

IRU service was appalling, toilets were in a distgusting state but food good - only restaurant we didn't leave a tip

Tapas y Punt (on seafront) fantastic tapas

Eolo - ok but not as good as laroc

Can't think of others, but hope this helps in meantime
Old 22-08-2005, 07:19
smiddy

Default restaurants

we tried Los Faroles this year and
Bona Cepa and both were excellent
Tolos
also El Posito of course
Neptuno 11 Tramuntana which i heard is in danger of closing sadly
these last 2 are a stones throw from the square and far superior in price and quality

we come back out on 17th Sept
Old 23-08-2005, 16:52

Default Re: Restaurants - August 2005

Hi loolabell
Glad you had a good holiday!

I was surprised and sorry to hear the service at IRU wasn't up to scratch as normally along with the food it is outstanding and far better than others on the frontline.

The state of the loos is worrying too as they were in my 'best loo awards 2005'!! >D

Whether this was a 'one off bad day ' is no excuse, this restaurant is in Mallorcas top 40, and standards should not be allowed to slip.

We arrive in PP in 8 days time....Yeeessssss and I will certainly be checking IRU out.

Debs
Old 23-08-2005, 21:14
loolabell

Default IRU toilets

Hi Debs

We went to the IRU and sat outside with our 3 children - our 2 daughters 6 and 7 sat at the table with us and our 1 yr old son was laid down in his pushchair and the end of our table next to my husband and I. When we ordered our drinks the waiter placed the water next to my son, who within seconds grabbed the bottle of water and it spilt - (not all the waiters fault) however he saw it happen and watched my husband mopping up with all available napkins and the waiter just walked off not to be seen again! It would have been nice if he could have helped or offered more napkins.

Our starter took over 50 minutes to arrive, then when we were half way through, they remembered that we should have had bread rolls, an english waitress came over apologised and said that we should have had these as soon as we had ordered.

Drink orders fell upon deaf ears and the toilets were the last straw. The flush buttons were on the floor! oilet paper everywhere all over the sinks and floors. The soap dispenser had fallen off and also leaked all over the vanity units and there was no toilet paper. I did report the toilet problem to the English waitress and she apologised (again)

Its a shame as we were recommended this place so many times and it was our first visit. Unfortunately I think it would be fair to say our last.
Old 23-08-2005, 23:35

Default Re: IRU toilets

HI loolabel

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Iru and also amazed!!

We were there in March and June and had exceptional service and fab food both times. The waiters explained all the dishes and we were served delicious warm bread with a plate of appertisers while we 'perused ' the menu.

The loos were spotless and full of high tech automatic wizardry!!...perhaps that has now proved a problem as possibly too many things that can break down.

A restaurant is only as good as the people who work there, from waiters through to the head chef. Maybe they have taken on extra, less competent waiting staff for the height of the season.

Despite the restaurant having been there for years this was one of our finds of last Summer and we were looking forward to going back

Has anyone else been there recently I'd be interested to hear more reviews?

Debs
Old 23-08-2005, 23:36
steve

Have to agree with Loolabell on this one, I can't think why this restaurant receives so many positive reviews, I think it's absolutely appalling! We've been a couple of times over the years and very poor on both occassions.

The food is very bland and ordinairy, (that horrible practice of serving potatoes straight from the microwave wrapped in foil) and the service downright insolent and distinctively unfriendly.

In fact along that stretch of the seafront/Pinewalk from say, The Sis Pins to the Bus Stop/Roundabout, I don't think any of the eating eastablishments are particuarly good.They all look attractive, lined up next to each other with their brightly coloured table cloths, gleaming ice buckets, waiters in dickie bows etc. but I think they play on this and get away with serving sub-standard fare.

How many of us have had similar experiences along the main waterfront at other mediterranean destinations, particuarly the Greek Islands, only to find the real deal two blocks back down a sidestreet somewhere.

For some tips on friendly service and ambience, these chaps at the IRU should pop along to Stay or El Posito's some night and see how it's really done.
Old 24-08-2005, 01:28

Hi steve

I'm baffled :\

I agree the best and most traditional restaurants are rarely frontline, and we hardly eat there apart from maybe Mestrel for an occasional lunchtime snack, but I dont think Iru can be compared with the others on that stretch. I have always found the menu different and exciting , and the only place in PP I've ever had a potatoe served in foil is in Tango.

I have also always found the staff charming but as this is the 2nd negative post about the restaurant I will have to see for myself next week...new owners ? Who knows its very odd though!

Debs
Old 24-08-2005, 01:52
terryw

Have to agree, we were hugely disappointed by IRU when we visited in October last year. Food was poor, certainly we had been expecting a lot better from the reports we received, and the cost. As bad however were the waiters who were personality free, almost robotic.

I'm not one for potatoes in foil which is why I'll avoid Trio in future as well.

Try the Guru (I know I have metioned this one before but never gets much of a look in as far as discussions are concerned). Owned by the same people as Tiberi, it has a lovely atmosphere, food is good (both quality and value for money), and the staff are very friendly and attentive.

Terry