Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 16:44

Default Na Ruixa.

You know how it is. You walk down the same road day after day, year after year. And there are things you never, ever notice.

In 30 years I have no idea how many times I've done that walk. Since buying a place 8 years ago? 300 times? 400 times? Who knows?

And in that time I've visited so many restaurants. I thought I'd tried them all: some great, some good, some decidedly iffy.

So how could I have missed one of the best? I read about Na Ruixa on this forum a while ago. Had I heard of it? Nah! Had my wife heard of it? Nah!

Nah (sorry, Na) Ruixa is tucked away down a side street after Corb Mari and before Cappucinno. Never looked busy. so never went in.

Could that be because when I walked one way it was too early. And when I walked the other, it was either too late or my concentration was, let's say, focussed (or unfocussed) on other things?

At 8pm it's empty. At 8.30pm this restaurant becomes, quite simply, one of the busiest, best and buzziest restaurants in town. The service is exceptional and the food is magnificent.

A heap of mussels grilled to perfection to start and sweet melon with succulent ham for My wife. For mains, Jane had perfectly cooked sole and I had Cod Mallorcan style.

Now I've done Cod. I've done cod at El Posito, cod at Siller, cod at Stay and at Zarzales. (Where have I missed? Oh, the Codfather. No, I haven't done cod at the Codfather. Sorry.)

Anyway, I've done Cod. And I thought El Posito was unbeatable. A bit too quick on the service ( a turbot charged cod?) but the fish was great.

Sorry. But the Mallorcan cod at Na Ruixa is, in my opinion, swimming in a different league. It's the Duncan Goodhew, the Mark Spitz of Cod.

Two huge, juicy, entirely boneless chunks of cod. Tomatoes, onions, spinach, sultanas, cauliflower (cauliflower? Yes. Cauliflower!) All in a piquant and delicious sauce. Unbelievable.

Jane had a couple of glasses of House White. I had 2 diet cokes. (I don't drink. Don't ask. Long story.) Bill came to 63Euros. And they left a couple of bottles of liquor on the table AFTER they brought the bill. Class.

Firmly on my list of top restaurants. Now, what else have I missed?

More tomorrow……..
debz1, sws97sdg, JMD40 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by graham; 30-08-2013 at 08:35.
Sponsored Links
Old 29-08-2013, 17:56

Brilliant write up! Loved it and totally agree! Have done exactly the same ourselves this year, first timers after walking past for years that is! Look forward to the next post!
JMD40, Lorenzo and eleanor like this.
Old 29-08-2013, 18:03
Super Moderator

Fantastic review Graham, thanks for posting .

I am giving this one it's own thread, because i think it deserves it .
debz1 likes this.
Old 29-08-2013, 18:34

Default Na Ruixa

Great post and definitely on the list as never been.

Does anyone know if it is open in winter as we are out again in November.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:27

I am definitely going there! Thanks, Graham, for a really entertaining review - loved the turbot-charged joke, that's one to add to our repertoire of fishy puns - and as a major cod fan myself, the recommendation was much appreciated!
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:31
Banned

Definitely not open in winter I'm afraid.
Old 29-08-2013, 22:58

Great post. We too have always bypassed Na Ruixa for some unknown reason but this year we decided to try it and we were so glad we did -lovely fresh food, service just right, nice house rose and a reasonable bill. We were so impressed we made sure we returned in week two. We only got the help yourself liquors on the second visit (was it because we spent more money or because they recognised us - I'm not sure but it was very nice ! ) PS. they don't have a kids menu but will do a half portion of anything on the menu. Our daughter said it was the best spaghetti Bolognese she had ever had ! Praise indeed...
By the way for anyone who's not sure where Na Ruixa is, it is next door to the Blanc du Nil clothing shop

Last edited by CharlieV; 29-08-2013 at 23:08. Reason: spelling, and added location
Old 29-08-2013, 23:30

Agree with all the comments and always worth a visit - good food, pleasant atmosphere and lovely staff. What more do you want?
Old 30-08-2013, 00:06

Graham what a brilliant post..really made me chuckle Strangely we have done almost the opposite to you. Been going to PP for about the same amount of years but Na Ruixa was always one of our favourite haunts in the early days..until we had a poor meal

You know how it is you think, we'll give it a miss next time..then you find other places that become your favourites and you never go back ? Unbelievably we haven't been for about 15 years but after your great post it's back on our list for September.
Sparky, JMD40 and Lorenzo like this.
Old 30-08-2013, 06:37

Strangely we are exactly the same as you Debz ,but we gave it a second chance last week after many years,only to report the food was average but the service excellent.
Old 30-08-2013, 10:35

We love Na Ruixa! The BEST steak ever, with great service, and the bottles of schnapps put on the table after you've paid the bill are a nice extra.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 30-08-2013, 10:56

Just had to virtually walk up to it as I still had no idea where it was, found it now, quite a bit away from the center which is probably why I can't remember seeing it before! https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=39.908...160.12,,0,9.68
varsp likes this.

On island time!!
Old 30-08-2013, 12:26

Thanks for the google map link, couldn't quite place where it was in my mind. Many, many years ago, did try it. We were one of two occupied tables, three of us and another couple, at first we thought that the staff had set up, and thought better of it, and gone home ! Took an age to be attended to, and even longer for the food to arrive. At the time, we awarded it 3 out of 10, and two of those were for the view! But, it's so long ago, maybe worth another visit.
Old 30-08-2013, 15:16
Under Moderation

First visit to Puerto Pollensa I will have to put this place on my list. We are only staying just up the road at the Ora Playa apartments. Trouble is reading this forum I have got a list of 9 restaurants to visit in 7 days!!
sws97sdg and anne10aber like this.
Old 30-08-2013, 15:42

There are lunch times Kev! That would make 14 visits!!
Doogz1874 likes this.

On island time!!