Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-2007, 02:16
fransmudger

Default Booking and Tipping

I am going to PP for the first time in three weeks and wondered if anyone has any advice regarding the need to book tables at popular restaraunts? also the expected norms around tipping in Majorca? Any hints would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-07-2007, 03:30

Hi,

It's always a good idea to book a table to avoid being disappointed. We normally book the lunchtime of the evening we want to eat, and at busy places like the square in PP and the square in Pollensa Old Town, it's best to call in and reserve a table. It's horrible going somewhere you've looked forward to and being turned away.

As for tipping, we give about 10-12% if the service has been good. This applies to evening meals, snacks and drinks. If you visit somewhere regularly then it's great to build up a relationship with the staff and we've only had to walk into a favourite bar and smile and our drinks have been delivered.

Enjoy your holiday!

Jane
Old 15-07-2007, 03:45
fransmudger

Thanks for that Jane, I will make a note of the phone numbers at places I want to try and phone ahead.

Fran
Old 15-07-2007, 06:42

Hi Fran
I agree with jane, we used to walk around in the afternoon (some peeps call it pub crawling:rolleyes ) and if we liked the look of a restaurant, we booked then, in the afternoon. Its always better to be save than sorry. but saying that, there were some nights when we just walked into one:\
Hmmm, thats not much help is it:\
As for tipping, we gave the same as in the UK, about 10%. depending on the service of course.
BTW, welcome to the forum. do tell us more about where you are staying.
jiggy
Old 15-07-2007, 12:38
Joanne

As long as there are not too many of you we have not had trouble getting a table as long as we arrive at the restaurant by 8pm (although we always book a table at Tangos and Trios) not a great expert on Pollensa Old Town but think booking a table there would be advisable
Old 15-07-2007, 18:45

Agree - we always book at Tangos or if we've our hearts set on a place but there is usually no probs if there are only 2 of you - bigger parties can be a real problem.

We thought PP was quieter this year and we actually saw some touting. Personally experienced from the Chinese on Fomentor Rd (which always does) but also Castinet which was surprising! We went into tango on Sunday night around 7.30 to book a table for the next evening and it was almost empty inside!

We usually tip 10% but not if the service is really bad (which doesn't happen too often in PP.)

Lala
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29

Useful thread. I always leave about 10% here in the UK for good service (tends to be a bit patchy here sometimes) but hubby doesn't like leaving anything! Nice to know the general consensus is one my side because, I suspect, service will be better in Majorca than here!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40

We usually leave around 10% or so depending on what change we have......sometimes less.....sometimes more The only place we did not leave anything this year was in Maxims Bistro in the square. We felt that the service (and the food/prices) did not deserve it. I think they are trying to squeeze too many people in and they do not have the staff to deal with everyone. I had used my cutlery for my starter and had none for my main course. When food arrived I asked for more cutlery and waited.....and waited......and waited......and then saw the same waiter serving drinks to another table......then arrived with my cutlery The staff all looked to be under pressure the night we were in. I do not think we will be back.