Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Le Font del Gall - Pollensa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/1040-le-font-del-gall-pollensa.html)

JH02JLH 07-09-2005 06:22

Le Font del Gall - Pollensa

We left Le Font del Gall for our last night after chickening out of taking the children to Ca'n Costa :\ .

I went in to the restaurant in the morning to book a table but they were unable to fit us in outside so it was only the second time in the whole two weeks we ate inside.

Le Font del Gall is Scottish-owned and the menu has some delicious Scottish dishes that sounded lovely.

We both chose haggis with neeps and tatties to start and hubby went for the fish of the day which was hake only to be told it had now changed to tuna. Not liking this he joined me by choosing the spiced shoulder of lamb with garlic crushed potatoes and red cabbage.

The children were well-catered for and although my son was a bit restless at being cooped up they both behaved really well and we had a great time chatting to them for a change!

We were given freebie starters of a delicious pate served on a tiny slice of toast plus the usual bread and butter.

I was looking forward to my haggis starter as I am a big fan but it was disappointing. :\ Just three tiny blobs of haggis, potatoes and neeps and that was it! Not much taste either and I know I can certainly do better at home!

Anyway! On to the main course and it arrived beautifully presented with what looked like a slice of cardboard balanced on top of the "lamb". (It tasted like cardboard too).

When we started eating hubby looked at me and we both said, "This isn't lamb! It's beef!"

But we didn't say anything!

Our wine was a star - a delicious Enate Cabernet Sauvignon from Somontano which went with the "lamb" perfectly.

No desserts for us but the kids tucked into ice-cream and we were given a small measure of Brandy Alexander as we paid the bill which was 89 euros including drinks and water.

Jane:D

Lady Pollenca 07-09-2005 06:30

Le Font De Gall

I would agree Jane our experience at this restaurant similar to yours and I know everyone to their own but if there was a choice of two would pick C'an Costa everytime!

debz1 18-09-2005 02:11

When we first went to this restaurant about three years ago Andrew and Fiona had just taken over as the new owners. We enjoyed it very much and the food and service were both very good. However last year we had such a poor meal we vowed never to return..then decided we'd give it another go! I find the food rather hit and miss..my girls had the pork stir fry which they said was fairly fatty this time and not crispy as on a previous occasion.

My main gripe though with the restaurant is the lack of any atmosphere and the rather prim and old fashioned service.Also as the oldest restaurant in Pollensa town its a shame that it's never used by Mallorcians..perhaps another indication of the rather bland food and staff >D

What with my review on this and the terrible meal/ service we had at Trencadora our meals in the Old town were disappointing. Except C'an Costa which was first class as usual. My eldest daughter persuaded me to try ostrich which she had tried in S. Africa..I was wary but decided to give it a go..and WOW it was really 'lush' (her words!) It was like the most tender beef ever and you could choose from a selection of different sauces to go with it. We plumped for the strawberry balsamic but also asked Alex the waiter if we could taste the chili chocolate( I kid you not!!) It was really different ..rich but smooth and not overpoweringly chocolately . Chels and other daughter had Dorada served with pineapple and coconut couscous which was equally delicious. Crikey i'm hungry now just writing about it :p

JH02JLH 18-09-2005 02:18

Hi Debs and welcome back!

It was interesting to hear your tale of Le Font del Gall - it seems to be a restaurant that promises a lot, but doesn't really deliver which is a shame because we used to enjoy it there as well.

Loved your review of Ca'n Costa as well! Those sauces sound really inspirational!

Hope you have lots more to tell us!
Jane:D