Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-09-2005, 08:09
Founder

Default Looking for llampuga

We're out again in a couple of weeks & really love the fish Llampuga (aka Dolphin fish or Mahi Mahi) that is only around at this time of year. It's a bit like a very delicate tuna. We've also eaten it in Florida.

If anyone is out there at the moment & notices it on a menu, can you post. Can any one recommend good places for fish (without loads of sauce to spoil it). Of course we already have our favourites but it would be nice to know of some alternatives.

Incidentally the annual Llampuga fair was held this weekend - so maybe next year we'll make it!

As in the MDB:
Llampuga fair attracts 7´000 in Cala Rajada
THE annual Llampuga (dolphin fish) fair, held on Sunday in the port town of Cala Rajada, was a resounding success with more than 7'000 people taking part. The occasion featured a tasting of 22 different ways of preparing llampuga, a fish which is only available on a seasonal basis. Hotels and restaurants in the area, working in conjunction with the local Fisherman's Association, mounted a total of 22 stands where as much as three tonnes of dolphin fish were prepared for the event. Attendees were able to choose from a wide-range of offerings, including llampuga prepared with red peppers and a paella with llampuga. Government deputy leader Rosa Estarās said that the fair has grown in momentum since it was introduced four years ago and has done much to promote the fish. The mayor of Capdepera, Joan Ferrer, said that the Cala Rajada wharf is an ideal site for the fair although acknowledged that it had become a “little pushed for space”. As one solution, this year the event remained open until 9pm at night. Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries, Margalida Moner, said she was glad to see that Majorcan, instead of non-regional, wine complemented the llampuga.

(c) copyright Majorca Daily Bulletin 27th Sep 2005
Sponsored Links
Old 28-09-2005, 22:44

Hi Pollensa, I ate this fish on Sunday night. It was down on the menu as Dolphin, and I was a little worried, but the waiter assured me that it was not actually Dolphin, but the fish you described. It was a starter, but it was at 365/Son Brull, so it was all a bit pricey. Just to make things worse for you, I think they change their menus through out the week, so if you go, you might not get it!!
Old 28-09-2005, 22:57
Founder

That's interesting as were wondering about trying that place. Did you need need to book etc.? Would you mind posting a separate review for it - thanks.

Re LLampuga I have now found a massive article on it in the Sat MDB along with a recipe - apparently the most popular Mallorquin recipe is with Red Peppers. So next question is has anyone ever been brave enough to buy fish in PP? They have a lovely display in Caprabo but we've never ever bought any.

Apparently Llampuga is a massive fish (it is not a Dolphin!) so you buy it in steaks.
Old 29-09-2005, 00:01

Well, yes of course we buy the local fish all the time. I really love it. I'm into Bacalou in a big way at the moment. There is a great little fresh fish shop next to Ca'n Ferrer (the little people's)

Will post the Son Brull review.