Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Doogz1874
  • 2 Post By Doogz1874
  • 7 Post By Doogz1874
  • 1 Post By Belladonna
  • 3 Post By Sparky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 12:30

Default May/June

A little later than I would have liked but at least it’s quicker than my last trip report......

Day 1 (Sunday May 26th): Colin(Mr Sparky) has problems with his wick !
We arrived in the port around 1pm and checked into the Miramar and although the weather was a little disappointing (I’m sure it seemed colder than what we had left behind in the UK) however, seeing the view from the balcony we still had a warm feeling ...... we were 'home'.

After pretty much just dumping the luggage it was then time to head off to La Cantina for a tapas lunch:
Drinks: 2xBeers
Tapas: Onion Rings, Meatballs, Croquettas de pollo & Patatas Bravas
All excellent & la cuenta was around €25

After lunch we headed up to El Posito to book for dinner only to find Tony already has us booked in (Thanks Sparky !) - the walk was still worth it as we got to have a quick chat with Toni, Chris, Zak & Miggy and also bumped into Colin so enjoyed a quick catch-up over a beer or 2

Evening meal @ El Posito -
Drinks: 2x Gin & Tonics, a bottle of Macia Batle Blanco, still water and 'some' brandy.

Food:
Bread, Olives & Allioli
I've seen a couple of comments about the menu never changing at El Posito over the last couple of years. We've seen quite a few additions... which is a bit of a mixed blessing as we still want all our old favourites but also want to try something different so we try (with varying degrees of success) to get a mixture of old & new:
To start with Mogs went with the Padron Peppers and I rather predictably went with the Garlic Prawns.
For mains Mogs went with one of her favourites : Cod with Sobrasada & Honey and I managed to try something new the Lamb Chops fried with garlic.
2 x Cafe Solo & 'some' more drinks with Lyn & Colin at the bar:
Having seen us earlier and knowing we both enjoy 'a' brandy Colin had very kindly brought his brandy warmers for us to use: They consist of a metal stand that the glass can sit in above a small burner.
Unfortunately it seemed that the burners only had 2 settings: There was either 'Pathetic' which would last a few seconds before being blown out and the alternative was the 'Flamethrower' setting which initially caused a little excitement in the restaurant but that soon turned to concern as everyone realised we were essentially trying to boil alcohol with a high flame which may in fact be a little dangerous especially as the equipment was being operated by someone who had already had a very large G&T and few glasses of wine ! Eventually, after Colin playing with his wick at that bar for a little while we were able to get the brandy to a perfect temperature so we drank up quickly before anyone was injured!

The bill came to around €125.
Food, drinks, service & company were all exceptional as always

Day 2 (Monday May 27th): Tonight I celebrate my love for you

Bar Coral for lunch:
4x (small) Beers
Bread, olives & allioli
2 x Medium Tapas

Food was good and the bill came to around €25

Evening meal @ O Lume:
Much to our delight O Lume had just re-opened just a few days before our arrival (We'd like to think Jaime had arrange this specially for us but I think we all know he timed it to make sure he was open for Lyn & Colin’s anniversary !)
It was quite a cool evening so we had to eat inside but the restaurant was quite busy which was good to see.
As usual we had a couple of champagne cocktails as we reviewed the menu and we're delighted to see a great mix of new dishes and the returns of some old favourites-

We had an Amuse-bouche of empanada and then Mogs had the Octopus and I had the Scallops Ala Gallega.
Main courses were Monkfish Marinera for Mogs & Duck with Raisins & Pine Nuts for me
For dessert Mogs had the Cheese Mousse with Honey for dessert and I went with the Fried Milk.

As the desserts arrived the song playing in the background changed to "Tonight I celebrate my love" (by Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack) which just seemed so serendipitous:
A wonderful evening in one of our favourite restaurants and a beautiful romantic song...I gazed romantically in Mogs eyes and then sang along in with the lyrics - as a tender serenade to my fried milk : I'm just so pleased to see it return to the menu ! (I find it amazing that not only does Mogs tolerates this sort of stupidity she actually found it funny !)

All of the above was washed down with a very pleasant bottle of Albarino (Maria Viyals) & a bottle of water.
We finished up with a couple of Americanos + 2 x Brandy on the House and the usual lovely chocolates.

Bill came to roughly €100

Food was wonderful and it was just fantastic to see Jaime back where he belongs and to hear him talk so passionately about his plans for the restaurant. It’s hard to believe that within just a couple of days of (re) opening this restaurant running as smoothly as it was and producing food of such great quality – but that’s Jaime !

Day 3 (Tuesday May 28th)

Just a light lunch @ Bonys today:
2 x Beers & 2 x Baguettes

The bill was €15

Evening meal at La Llonja:
Drinks: Cava Rosado/Gin & Tonic, bottle of Vionta Albarino & bottle of water
Mogs: Fish Soup > Tuna a la plancha
Me: Truffle Spaghetti > Tuna a la plancha
2 x Americanos + 2 Amaretto
The bill came to around €100.

The food was as good as ever - the tuna in particular was cooked to perfection

Day 4 (Wednesday May 29th)

Lunch at La Roda:
2 x Beers
We both went with Chicken Soup to start and pineapple to finish > for mains Mogs had the grilled fish and I had the chicken curry.
Food was good and great value @ around €20

Evening meal @ Cellar La Parra:

To drink we had a bottle of the excellent house red & a bottle of water

Bread & Olives
We know the portions here are generous so we had a Frito starter to share & for mains Mogs had Pork Loin in Pepper sauce and I had the Suckling Pig.
Dessert was almond Cake & Ice Cream (again to share) but we did manage to save a little room for 2 Carajillos and 2 brandys.
To make up for my earlier failed attempt at being romantic in Olume I went to quite a bit of effort and expense to have a red rose hand delivered to Mogs - of course she refuses to believe I had anything to do with instead she thinks it’s much more likely that a couple out celebrating their anniversary just decided to share their flowers with some of the other customers in the restaurants. (Many thanks to the kind stranger ... I mean the delivery man from the florist: the flower survived well in the hotel room for about a week)

The bill came to around €50 (not inc. flower delivery ) which is just incredible value for the quality of the food (& wine)
Sparky and MairiCladach like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-06-2013, 12:31

Day 5 (Thursday May 30th)

MDD lunch at El Posito:
We both had the Bean soup to start and the 'cornetto' for dessert.
For mains Mogs had the Octopus Frito & I had Pork ribs with honey
All washed down with a bottle of house red.

Bill came to €20 - unbelievable value for such good food.

In the evening we went on the Ruta Del Tapeo:
La Cantina 2
Slice of Bread with Sobrasada, red pepper chutney & cheese x 2 + 2 beers.

La Bodguita
Beef Stew x 2 + 2 beers

C'an Tofol
Round 1: Veg Curry Croquette / Tortilla Rellena (Cheese & Ham)+ 2beers
Round 2: Boquerones Frito / Lomo with Apple & Blue Cheese + 2beers
(All of the above server on a slice of bread)

Gemini 18:
Burger & Tortilla x 2 + 2beers

C'an Torrens
Albondigas, Chips & bread x 2 + 2beers

La Roda:
Serrano Ham, Manchega & sobrasada / Kidneys, meatballs & russian salad + 2beers
The price at La Roda was €2 rather than €1.50 but no complaints as it was clearly advertised & the size of portion more than justified the extra 50c

Bar Rumbo
Round 1: Onion Coca / Tortilla on bread + 2beers

Round 2: Trampo Coca / Strawberry, goats cheese & marmalade on bread + 2beers

As ever it was a really enjoyable night and we thoroughly enjoyed everywhere we visited.

Day 6 (Friday May 31st)

O Lume: Tapas lunch:
Beers x 2
Gallician Mussels / Fish Croquettes / Choricitos (Small chorizo sausages cooked in fire water) / Chiperones /Picadillo (Spicy minced meat - I think it was a mixture of pork & veal)
2 x Carajillos with sweet version on an empanada with a filling of liqueur flavoured chopped nuts

The bill was around €32

Evening meal at Los Faroles:
Drinks: Vionta Albarino & a bottle of water
Food: Bread, olives & allioli >
Mogs had the Avocado & Prawns followed Sole Meunier amd I had Trampo followed by Lomo con Col.
Food was great and the portions large so no room for desserts but still managed to squeeze in a couple of Carajillos.

The bill was around €65

Day 7 (Saturday Jun 1st)

Back to Bar Coral for lunch:
2 x beers
Bread, olives and allioli
Mogs had the Pa amb Oli with cheese and ham & I went with the Pepito De Lomo (with cheese & onions) :-D

Great lunch and very reasonable at around €20

La Llonja:
Drinks as before : Cava Rosado/Gin & Tonic, a bottle of Vionta Albarino & a bottle of water
Mogs had the Tuna Tartare followed by the selection of white fish with fennel sauce.
I managed to avoid having the usual truffle spaghetti as a starter and went with Boquerones Fritos followed by Lamb chops with Garlic
2x Cafe Solo & 2x Brandy
Food & service were great as always.
Bill was around €100

Day 8 (Sunday Jun 2nd)

We had intended to go to Bonys for lunch again but as it was closed we thought we would take the opportunity to try somewhere new for us : La Goleta
2 x Beers + a Smoked salmon tapa on the house
Mogs had the Grilled squid salad & I went with a bit of a boring option : Hamburger & chips.

All very nice and I expect we'll return. The bill was around €25

3rd visit to El Posito:
2 x G&T
Bread, olives & allioli
A bottle of Mar de Frades Albarino and a bottle of water.
Garlic Prawns to share, followed by Paella Negra
2 x Cafe Solo & 2 x Brandy (minus pyrotechnics this time)

Bill around €95 : Great food, great service & great laugh = another great night at EP!
Sparky and MairiCladach like this.
Old 20-06-2013, 12:32

Day 9 (Monday Jun 3rd)

O'Lume for another tapas lunch:
2 x Beers
Caracoles (Snails ordered just because we know how much Sparky enjoys them !) / Chiperones & choriquitos again and Jamon Iberica selection
2 x Carajillos

Food was wonderful - Snails in particular are worthy of note (& honestly, for once, I'm not just doing this to try and upset you Sparky). Snails are something I'll order fairly regularly but in my experience they are almost always served the same way - with garlic butter, but here there were served in a beautiful rich sauce that was almost like a cassoulet: just wonderful.
Bill came to around €30

Evening meal- the return to Los Faroles:
Bread, olives & allioli
To drink: a bottle of Macia Batle Tinto & a bottle of water
To start Mogs has the Mejillones Rellenos (Stuffed mussels) and I went with the Gazpacho.
For mains we both had the excellent paletillo de cordero (shoulder of lamb).
2 x Carajillos + 2 v. large brandies on the house (large enough that we cancelled our plan to stop of for a drink on the way back to the hotel)

Bill came to roughly €60

Day 10 (Tuesday Jun 4th)

Bar Rumbo for a light(er) lunch:
2 x beers
1 small cheese & sobrasada baguette / 1 tapas selection (Meatballs, Pica Pica, Pork & mushrooms, Frito)

Bill came to €17

Evening meal at C'an Torrens:
We had a lunch here last year but this was our first evening meal.
Drinks: 2 x G&T, a bottle of Jose Ferrer Blanco & a bottle of water

Mogs went with the calamares a la romano followed by the Grilled swordfish & I had the Avocado & Prawns and then (sorry sws!) the rabbit with onions.
2 x Cafe solo

Food & service were good and I expect we'll be back again.
Bill was around €65

Day 11 (Wednesday Jun 5th)

We finally decided it was time to enjoy a lunch on the balcony so we went to La Cantina 2:
1 cheese & ham baguette, 1 Greek salad & 1 goats cheese quiche for €11.50

All washed down with a little wine on the balcony - excellent... and hardly any distance to travel for our siesta !

O lume (again):
Drinks: 2 x Champagne cocktails, A bottle of Baron de ley (finca monasterio rioja 2007) & a bottle of water

Amuse bouche : Padron pepper & salami on bread

Mogs had the Scallop ravioli followed by Duck with Raisins & Pine Nuts
Jaime recommended that I should try the Quail Ravioli in mushroom sauce (& I know Jaime well enough to know if he recommends something it’s going to be worth it) followed by the barbecued fillet steak.
All of the food was exceptionally good but thank you again to Jaime for recommending the Quail ravioli it was spectacular: 5 or 6 raviolis with mushroom sauce surrounded a potato straw nest with a quail egg on top - if not for the generous portion size (and I'm not complaining) this dish would not be out of place at a Michelin star restaurant.
2 x carajillos & 2 x brandy on the house
At the end of the evening Jaime joined us for a couple of beers & we had a lovely chat

The bill was roughly €100

*As if this restaurant wasn’t good enough we've added to the fun with a new game "Spot the new customers". It’s quite simple to play > all you need to do is wait until the dessert menu arrives and guess how long it'll be until you hear the phrase "What's fried milk ?"

Day 12 (Thursday Jun 6th)

Another nice lunch at Bar Rumbo:
2 x Beers
1 x Pa Amb Oli with cheese & ham / 1 x Pepito de lomo

Bill was around €17

As has become tradition our 1st & last nights are always at El Posito:
2 x G&T with the Bread, olives & allioli

Mogs went with Garlic Prawns followed by Cod with Sobrasada & Honey and I had the Tumbet then the superb John Dory with crispy onions and finished off with a Crema Catalan.
All washed down with a bottle of Mar De Frades Albarino and a bottle of water.
2 x Solo & our final chat & drinks with Lyn & Colin at the bar.

It’s always a little sad that the holiday has to end but an evening at EP always ensures it’s as enjoyable as possible !

Bill around €115
Old 20-06-2013, 12:53

Ha ha!! I love the comment about the new customers and the Fried Milk ~ so true!!
Doogz1874 likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 13:27

Still on post #1, but thanks for posting the extensive trip report.
Lunch time reading sorted ...
Old 20-06-2013, 13:33
Super Moderator

Fantastic trip report and not late at all (by your timekeeping standards ), you will be pleased to know that Colin's pyrotechnic wick has been safely put on the back burner .
Old 21-06-2013, 13:26

What a mouth-wateringly great post!

The Cellar La Parra house wine is one of the best kept secret bargains in the port....ssshhh - don't spread it round, I want some left for our next trip in five weeks!

Good to see La Goleta being mentioned, as it seems often unfairly overlooked.

You have galvanised me to promise a trip to La Llonga - never been. Probably a mistake.