Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 18:56

Default Has Tolos had its chips?

Has anyone else been to Tolos recently and discovered the chips aren't chips any more?

There is nothing better after a long day on the beach than to retreat to Tolo's for a cold beer, alioli and fresh warm bread...and if a serious 'snack attack' hits a bowl of hot, done to perfection crispy chips
We were shocked ,actually horrified :eek to discover they now serve a sort of saute variety, which they still call chips (but they are not chips at all!). Now, I realise that chips are not the main stay of our diets and we don't go to PP just for chips ..but these were SERIOUSLY GOOD CHIPS and sometimes chip eating is a serious business...especially when 4 of you are sharing a plate ( 'now lets not be greedy we are going out to eat in a couple of ours hours') and you all have your eyes on the same one!

Going back in 21 days and I think I'll have 2 have a word
with Tolo as I'm beginning to lose sleep over this!! :\

Debz
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 04:15
Senor Ken

Debz,

I think when the chips are down Tolos lost his some years ago, used to be a great place ten years ago gone a bit touristy and its dead after the buggy run.

Senor Ken
Old 11-08-2005, 06:33

Totally agree senor ken but its a handy place for us for lunch and an early evening beer,and the foods good ..apart from the CHIPS!!

As for Tolo..he's laughing all the way to the bank:lol
Old 11-08-2005, 19:44
Sara4

We ate there this year one lunchtime and were disappointed. We went for the first time last year and ended up having dinner their twice. I raved about it on the site but to be honest it wasn't that brilliant this time.
There seemed to be some kind of disagreement between two waiters which was affecting their service also they were barking orders at each other, which wasn't really necessary.
Shame because we enjoyed it so much last time, but there are plenty more restuarants to go to that get it right every time!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07

HI sara4

I agree the atmosphere has changed at Tolos this season as 2 long standing waiters have left and been replaced by a couple who seem to have had personality bypasses! And also possibly the chef has changed ...ooh my chips!:|

Its a shame as the food is generally very good. It's great for a salad or pizza at lunch , and very convenient as it's only a couple of minutes from our apartment We never eat there in the evening, but often go from the beach for an early beer, when it is filling up rapidly with early diners..as someone called it 'the buggy brigade'!

For anyone staying that end of town it is deffo worth a visit, if not for a gastronomical feast a satisfying lunch time snack.

Debs
Old 22-08-2005, 07:30
smiddy

Default tolos

we had lunch in Tolos for the first time with some local friends in April
and had dinner in July which was excellent
great home made veg soup (in July are you mad)
Tolo remembered us ,
well who could forget mrs s with her slimline tonic
and sure enough sent one over on the house
Old 30-08-2005, 07:36
dolgoed

Default Re: tolos

Always have a couple of meals in Tolos and he always sends over the complementary drink at the end. The lady waiter has also returned this year who used to be there in previous years.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:15

Hi guys!

The night we arrived it was about 10pm as we'd been delayed a bit and so as Tolos was the nearest we went there going in about 10.30.
Place was pretty empty with only a few tables taken. First of all, job to get a waiter to even give us a menu, then we got it and right away second waiter is at us for our order and do we want a drink. So we say we are looking -momento por favor.
We order with first waiter and then the second waiter is back to take our order.

We were wearing thin already, as tired, and at that time of late evening. So we didn't want too heavy a meal and ordered omelettes and a bottle of red.
Bread and alioli came, fine, and the meals came quite quickly with chips and salad, maybe, can't remember.
Chips all right, nothing to write home about, and the omelettes were a tad overdone on the outside while still being moist on the inside, but I like a bit of a zing to an omelette and it just wasn't there.

Perhaps not the best of circumstances on which to judge to be fair, but it was the disorganised service more than anything which was the turn off.

Had a coffee and hit the sack.
Wasn't back in at all.

Our experience seems to mirror some prevous comments.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:12
Snowy

We just had a very late night drink in Tolos nice to meet with him again always remembers us from way back nice guy.

Always got people in so can't be that bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:47

I was very pleased when I spoke to Tolo recently and asked him why his chips weren't chips anymore..he shrugged and said 'you want chips?'...and 5 minutes later there they were in front of me back to their former crisp golden glory . In all the years holidaying in PP we have never eaten here in the evening..but it is very popular with the early evening buggy brigade ( I'm not getting involved in the 'Is it just me' thread ' ):lol chill people! But as it is the nearest bar to us we often have lunch or post beach beer (and chips!)and have always found the service and food excellent.

I agree with Snowy.. always busy and definitely worth a visit if you are spending the day on the south sandy beach.

Debs