Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Laroc (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/1023-laroc.html)

Portofan 08-10-2005 02:30

Laroc

Pizzeria and Pasta.

Have known this place for years just across from Coral Bar/restaurante just off the Pine Walk.

Any time in the Coral for a beer or a snack it always seemed empty but has changed hands and is on the restaurant section of the website here.

One day had a beer and based on what we saw went back for lunch one day. Saw them making the fresh pasta inside and portioning it out ready for the chef to use.

Between us we had a Margarita pizza and a Rigatoni pasta washed down by a bottle of Santa-Catarina Cabernet/Merlot which went well with both dishes. This wine is Mallorcan and produced at Andratx and I mentioned the Vineyard in my Mallorcan Wines post yesterday.

We just got a table in time, another five minutes and no chance . Waiter from Argentina and another one from Italy.

Certainly worth a whirl for lunch and you could have an enjoyable evening there too if Italian is your taste.
Was amazed to see on the wine list wines at 120 Euros and even over 200 Euros with quite a few Italians.

Bueno appetito!:D

pollensa 09-10-2005 06:37

See www.puertopollensa.com/laroc/index.html for its page on this site.

Webmaster

steve 09-10-2005 22:41

Portofan, don't quite understand your posting, this could be of huge importance to those of us like yourself who reguarly use these establishments.

"Any time in the Coral for a beer or a snack it always seemed empty but has changed hands and is on the restaurant section of the website here", are you referring to Coral, (Pedro's) or Laroc. What or who has "Changed hands".

Everyone knows that Coral spells Laroc backwards and I think I'm right in saying that Pedro owns and runs Coral with his sister-in-law, (Anna), who is married to Jordi who manages, and/ or owns Laroc. (I may be totally wrong on all of this, but it's what I've always understood over the years)

Perhaps I've also got this wrong, I've always assumed that Pedro and Jordi are either brothers, or brothers-in-law, each with their own restaurant. It certainly seemed that way last time we were there a couple of months back, and Laroc certainly wasn't empty, (in fact, since the passing of the Coach House a few years ago, something that I think many people have never quite recovered from), both of these places are heaving, particuarly at lunch time, because so many of the Coach House regulars have decamped there, not wanting a bloody great pizza for lunch!).

Still, if one or the other has "changed hands", this could be one of the more significant pieces of restaurant gossip in Pollensa since the comings and goings of the Hamburger Man!

On the same subject, (loosely) I heard a year or two back that Pedro had designs on Little Italy, formerly the Coach House, any truth in these rumours?

JH02JLH 09-10-2005 23:34

Steve,

I just had a quick look at Laroc's website and saw that it is run/owned by Anna and Bruno. Who is Bruno then?

Jane:eek

pollensaman 09-10-2005 23:46

Hi,

Bruno who is Italian and his wife Anna have been running Laroc for the past couple of years, I love it there and go fairly often.

JH02JLH 10-10-2005 00:25

Hi PM!

(Not spoke to you for ages!! What are you up to?)

So Anna is not married to Jordi then???:eek

Heavens above, this is like the plot of a soap opera!

Jane;)

BonysLad 10-10-2005 00:26

Re :Laroc

Blimey,

Turn my back for a few days and you all get confused.

To put the record straight

Coral is run and owned by Jordi , his wife Anna ( little Anna) and Jordi's brother Pedro.

A few year they branched out and opened the Laroc opposite to go into pizzas , hence the name as quite rightly pointed out Coral backwards.

They then concentrated on moving Coral more upmarket as a restaurant rather than a bar so have ( I suspect leased rather than sold ) Laroc to Brunno who runs it with his wife Anna.

Very good italian style food , eat there in the week. Excellent mozarella and tomato ,and pasta dishes. Probably more italian then anywhere else in town.

A foody friend reckons that Laroc and Sillers are the best for food in town, but let's not start the debate !!!!

BonysLad :D :D

Portofan 10-10-2005 16:21

Re: Re :Laroc

Hi guys!

And better say gals too or will be getting it for not beingPC!;)

So, like Bonyslad I am "off duty" over the weekend and a little debate is started on a Sunday afternoon.

As I said, in visits to the Coral in relatively recent years at lunchtime, for a beer or a snack, or both, Laroc always appeared to be empty. Whether it was at other times don't know, as I had never eaten in Coral in the evening for many years.

So, to ownership, I was aware of the family ties but never knew the fine detail nor did it matter to me. And the Coral/Laroc thing, well, again doesn't matter to me.
And I suppose Stay got it's name sited where it is, if we are in to semi palindromes!:D

Before I visited in September, I had a look at the new advert on the website and as ingredients were coming from Italy, I thought, this is on a" must try" list.

To conclude, Laroc is well worth a twirl, for the food, and of course your choice of wine, but also for the general ambiance.

As many of us have said about some other newish enterprises, use them, don't let's lose them!