Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2005, 17:15

Default Bar La Penya

Traditionally our first Sunday in Pollenca has always been to stock up at the market in the morning and then head for Bar La Penya (sp?) for tapas around lunchtime. Last week when we went though it was closed. Each time we passed by later in the week it was still closed. Anyone know if this is just a seasonal thing or if it has shut permanently?

(This was our first trip to Pollenca in October, normally we visit in late June or early July.)

Malcolm
Sponsored Links
Old 18-10-2005, 01:07

Hi again Malcolm!

First thing Sunday after the market you are out looking to go in to a tapas bar!

You sound just the sort of guy we need on here to wean some off their burgers and fish and chips!:eek

Where in Pollensa is this bar?

Porto
Old 18-10-2005, 04:19

It's here [link=http://tinyurl.com/dadz8 newwindow]Bar Penya[/link]. Not the best of maps but hopefully it gives you the idea. It's on the corner of Carrer Joan Mas and the little lane that leads of to the north of the main square which I think is called Temple(?).

I suspect the owner had just closed early for the 'winter'. Someone told me many of the successfull bar/restuarant/shop owners close and 'holiday' the winter in Cuba. True??

Our 'kids' are now 11 and 15 but we've been going to Pollenca (with them) for 5 years now and it's always amazed me how many different things they'll try (food wise) in Spain. They love trying the different tapas dishes. I think the appeal is the small dishes that you don't feel their wasting too much if they order something they don't like.

This trip we only had one meal that came with chips and that was for the 11 year old at Trencadora.

Malcolm
Old 18-10-2005, 04:24

mmmm sorry - don't know what I did wrong with the link - it doesn't appear to have worked correctly. Try copying and pasting this tinyurl.com/dadz8.

I notice in the Rough Guide to Mallorca it calls it Bar La Peňa which I'm sure is wrong!

M
Old 20-10-2005, 16:22

Hi Malcolm,
Like you we have always wandered up to Bar La Penya after the Sunday market, our three children love to try the various tapas dish's and our youngest always share's a plate of snails and alioli with me, providing the locals haven't finished them off before we arrive. Sadly when we were last there in August we were told by the owner that he was retiring at the end of September to spend more time at his home in Puerto Pollensa.
We had hoped he would change his mind and still be there when we return at the end of October, sadly it appears not. Malcolm our path's must have crossed some time on our ritual visits over the years, if you find an alternative do let us know

Sean
Old 20-10-2005, 17:16

That's a real shame - it always seemed very busy (with locals and tourists).

Over the years I've had alternatives offered (Bar Nou and the cafe just along from Penya just down from Font del Gall, I can't recall its name) but nothing seems to compare (in authenticity) to La Penya.

This year (for our tapas fix) we ended up in the main square at a cafe called L'ille (I think) which was just okay. Its selction of dishes was very limited...

Malcolm