Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Cafe L'Algar vs. Bony's (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/1011-cafe-lalgar-vs-bonys.html)

JH02JLH 10-09-2005 00:20

Cafe L'Algar vs. Bony's

We loved to sit in the square in PP at night before our meal enjoying a drink at one of the cafes there.

We visited both Cafe L'Algar and Bony's and I must admit we preferred Bony's.

Jose was always very attentive and the staff there were so friendly - a young girl who was constantly busy and a young man who never stopped smiling. We never had to wait long to attract their attention and of course there were the sweets thrown at the children as we left - my daughter has most of the wrappers stuck into her scrapbook.

But it's the measures of drinks there that are amazing! Thankfully hubby was driving one night when I must have drunk half a bottle of Campari in just two drinks! They are awesome - just ask Debs!

At Cafe L'Algar the main attraction were the "Hoppas" - large chocolate ice-creams that the children couldn't get enough of. They came decorated with coffee beans that the children mistook for small chocolate drops the first time they had them. The look on their faces when they tasted them was a picture!

I can also recommmend the iced coffee in Cafe L'Algar but we found the service slow and at times, almost surly.

But both places are great for people-watching and what an enjoyable way of passing an hour or two as you contemplate where to eat?

Oh, roll on the next time we're out!
Jane:D

robjay 14-09-2005 08:16

To join in on this we will have to pay a visit to Bony's. It would appear this place is full of PP forum members:lol , could this be a good reason to watch from afar?:rollin .
We have found going inside ant telling them where we're sitting and what we want works wonders. i did that for a certain gentleman who kindly joined our company one afternoon. i doubt he's gotten over the shock of me doing that:lol .
Jane promise me I don't have to face the place across the street from bony's and I'll raise a glass or two to you soon:lol .
Rob

JH02JLH 15-09-2005 00:53

Oh Rob! You're really rubbing it in at the moment, aren't you?

Making me soooo jealous!

Please do go to Bony's - the measures there are enormous and great value, plus the staff are so friendly. You don't have to sit and face an unmentionable place. At the front of Bony's is a lovely view of the Bar Cultural and the church.

Please have a glass for me as well! Do you drink Campari?

Jane;)

robjay 15-09-2005 17:37

So it's a toss up bar cultural facing across the Square, with a nice view of the church doors or bony's nice facing across the square and an nice view of the church doors. What bigger measures do they do in cervaza in Bony's? muy grande tomarse?
I'll make sure to raise a glass for you, but aren't you going to be doing that yourself very soon?;)

Rob

JH02JLH 16-09-2005 02:15

Rob!:eek

What's this "muy grande tomarse???" Sounds like something rude to me!

It's all a matter of taste so I won't pressurise you into going to one or the other. But now you've added Bar Cultural to the mix, the choice is that bit harder.

Each has their own merits so you'll just have to try all three - and I can recommend the "hoppas" in Cafe L'Algar.

As for raising a glass, I do that almost daily!
Jane;)

pops 16-09-2005 06:05

If I had to choose between the three, it would be Bonys everytime.
Service is excellent
Staff excellent
and measures enormous, can't wait to be there this time next week,

Pops

oh and loads of free sweeties

robjay 17-09-2005 00:47

Ok only in the interest of a fair outcome I'll try Bony's out in 4 weeks time, but I'll leave the sweeties for the children and Pops:rollin .

Rob

pops 17-09-2005 07:30

No just leave the purple ones alone!!!

pops

robjay 17-09-2005 16:42

I'll save them all for my special wee angel, she deserves them all.
Take care
Rob

debz1 18-09-2005 08:25

We had never been to Bony's until we arranged to meet Jane and her family in August, I suggested it as it's in the square and obviously very popular We had a great evening but I have to say it would'nt be our bar of choice.The tables and chairs are set out in rows to enable then to cram in as many seats as possible. That along with the bright lights reminded me more of an A & E waiting room rather than a laid back Mallorcan bar:\ I could also imagine a few people ending up in A & E with the size of measures they pour! Dont get me wrong I like a drink but I think they are encouraging binge drinking...the waiter poured my gin practically to the top and when I said WHOAW! he stopped and proceeded to fill my tonic bottle up! Surely this will encourage the rowdy behaviour that we don't want in PP and maybe certain bar owners should behave more responsibly.

My daughter, who speaks fluent spanish,had a long (and heated) discussion with Jose who was telling us that next year they were going to make it more English 'like O'Haras'. When she said that most people came to PP to get away from English bars he shrugged his shoulders and said 'But you are English!' >D

Needless to say my two girls continued to meet their friends there, not because they liked it, but for the same reason I disliked it...huge measures and cheap!

Debs

pops 18-09-2005 10:49

Debz

Until Bonys becomes an English bar I will continue to drink there and enjoy it.
Yes the measures are enormous, I have had brandy poured into my lacao(we discussed this before the summer-it is really nice by the way)and into my coke too, however I hope I behaved and I have never witnessed rowdy behavior there, thats not to say it doesn't happen, any where serving alcohol is in danger of that.

Bonys doesn't claim to be a laid back mallorcan bar, (although if you drink there late afternoon it is very quiet), it's right in the centre of the touristy area. If I fancy a quiet drink and practising my spanish with the locals I tend to go some where off the beaten track abit, where the drinks are even cheaper.
In my experience, the people I have seen drinking at Bonys are generally families and couples. I know my 17 yr old would never go there through choice when with her friends but is quite happy to drink there when she is with her family.

I hope Bonys doesn't change, but as tourism is down again this summer, there is a danger that bars and restaurants may offer what they believe British people want, even if they get it wrong.

Pops

pops 27-09-2005 18:29

Just got back from PP and drank in all three, Bonys, L'algar and bar cultural. Thought i'd test them for a laugh.

Bar Cultural was good because we sat there in the late afternoon sun but was served a foul tasting vodka and orange.(this happened in the summer too) I now know why, their orange juice is like a squash. They did eventually replace it with a small carton of juice however not fresh.
L'algar was ok, but waited ages for a coke and snack.
Bonys I'm afraid topped the lot again. Served within a minute of arriving, staff so friendly, and no rowdy people. Infact apart from one other table at just after 1 am, we were the only people there. It was lovely and quiet.

My choice Bonys

BonysLad 27-09-2005 22:24

re: Cafe L'Algar vs Bonys

Not sure a comparison is really valid for these places cos they are all different and trying to serve different markets.

Personally not keen on Cafe L'Algar but based only on the illogicality of not liking their coffee. Cultural is a town institution and aimed at the local population ( try getting a coffee on a mid winter morning at Bonys).

However both Bonys and Cultural are best late afternoon/early evening when the square is quiet and you can observe the locals doing their "va paseo" (or generally walking about town en masse en famille).

Pops , glad you enjoyed Bonys and am still worried re its future but out next week for a flying visit so will suss it all out when I've spoken to Jose.

Watch this space folks !!!

Bonyslad 8)

pops 29-09-2005 17:55

Re: re: Cafe L'Algar vs Bonys

Bonyslad,
have enjoyed Bonys for years and know the staff pretty well, and am also very worried about the future

I know all three serve different markets, as I said tried all three for a laugh.Wasn't anything serious. Very rarely drink at Cafe L'Algar but go to Cultural very often, and just love sitting amongst the locals, infact last week some of the staff from Tango were there with their families, so I enjoyed chatting to them.

Back out in just over 2 weeks and can't wait.
Have a great time,

Pops

robjay 29-09-2005 22:20

Re: re: Cafe L'Algar vs Bonys

Pops is there anywhere you don't know somebody in PP?:lol . I know you raved on about Bony's in August and because of that I'll be trying bonys out for the first time in 15 days from now!!!!!!!!.
Places do change and staff can make or break a place overnight. I think this Forum can do that too, I'm sure if someone who owns a place read (and no doubt most do) about the negative things written they should and would change them.
I like the different styles each of these places have and each fill a gap in the market. I don't think the compete for the same custom.

Rob