Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2005, 03:52

Hi yorkie426!

Welcome to the forum!

It was great to read your reviews and your comments were very interesting.

Can I just ask - How many did you try because of the reviews on the forum? Or had you tried them before on your first visit?

When we visited last October, and which was not our first time, we only ate in one restaurant that we had tried before. All the others had been recomended by forum members.

And ironically, at the time, the one restaurant that had been our favourite turned out to be the worst!

Regards
Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 17-10-2005, 03:53

Yorkie,

great post ........ really pleased you enhoyed O Lume .... we discovered it last May ( after reading a review on this forum ) and I have been plugging the place ever since ....... when we were there it really didn't seem to be getting much custom and I was so scared it wouldn't survive ......... because it really deserves to . Looks like it is getting more custom these days .... wonder how much of that is down to the forum ...... though it is the type of place that will always get return visits, I guess the knack is getting people in there in the first place.

Also pleased to see you have many of our favourites on your top 10

As Jane says, did you go because of recommendations on teh forum ? or because yu had been previously ? or did you just happen upon them and strike lucky ?
Old 17-10-2005, 04:08
yorkie426

Default Our choice of the best places to eat

We recently spent a fortnight in PP (our second visit) and sampled 9 or so of the best eating places in the town. We have rated the restaurants on food ,value and service with 10 marks for each.

1. O'Lume(28 )
The food is very good but if you have the set meal with wine,water,bread(3 different types of butter) included for 18 euros the value is fantastic . We visited 3 times and found it quiet midweek but busy on a weekend when service was slow. This place deserves to be successful!The guy who runs it is quite reserved but a really good bloke.

2. Stay(27)
This was our favourite on our last visit and probably still is if judged on food alone. It has a touch of class and for 31 euros the set meal with the usual extras included it is not expensive.Sevice and food excellent.Best to book to get a good table inside/outside.

3.Los Zaroles (25.5)
Very good food and nice atmosphere. The service was good but a little rushed.Try the house wine served from a barrel.Definitely one for the short list but best to book.

4. La Fortelesa(24)
The food was not quite in the same class as those above but service and value excellent. Best beer in town if you want to give the wine a miss for a change.

5 Cap de Canto(23.5)
Nice restaurant, good atmosphere and service.

6. Iru(23)
Quality food and service (on a par with top 3 above) but expensive, probably because of its location.

7.Los Faroles(22.5)
Good place to eat, the fish is fresh and is particulary recommended.

8.Tiberi(22)
This place is a bit different- bistro style food and very relaxed . Food is pretty good and not expensive.

9.El Posito (17)
This place was a disappiontment to us. Mallorcan style food but cooked with a lot of oil. May suit some but we would not want to eat here again. Bar type atmoshere but nothing wrong with service and the place was very busy when we ate there.

We tried to eat at Balaxia one luchtime but note it closes for lunch other than on Sundays after 1 October.

Along with many other readers of this forum we enjoyed our large measures and laughs with the young waiter at Bonys.

Enjoy but watch the waistline!!!!
Old 17-10-2005, 22:22

We went to Es Convent in Alcudia old town last time we were out. Fabulous food, amazing wine, fantastically expensive!!!! However well worth it for a special end of holiday celebration. The maitre d' used to be at Hotel Cala San Vincente and is absolutely charming. He has that amazing knack of being super-attentive without being over bearing or over-familiar. Definitely one to add to the top 5.
Old 18-10-2005, 01:03
yorkie426

Hi Jane

Thanks for your message.

When we visited PP last year I looked at the forum,internet and various guidebooks in the hope of finding a few good places to eat.

I know its boring but I like to do my "homework" and it usually pays dividends. This year I relied solely on the forum but revisited some of the places we ate at last time.

I would have never found some of the places we ate at without the forum. Its a great place to get info. about the resort and restaurants in particular.

Interested to know which place was your favourite but disappointed you on your next visit.

Regards

Les
Old 18-10-2005, 01:22

Hi Les and to Malcolm too who will probably read this.

You do learn a lot from the posts but more too can be gleaned in exchanging views in the Chat Room and dare I say this, but you can get a good laugh at times too!:lol
Old 18-10-2005, 01:37

Hi Les,

I found the forum by chance after trying to find out whether our favourite restaurant, Ca'n Costa, was open last October.

Ca'n Costa had always been a great restaurant and we first visited in 1996. We wanted to go back last year and eat there again, but ironically this restaurant was the one that really disappointed (I still think my original review is on this section somewhere).

However, because of the recommendations from forum members we also tried Trencadora, Clivia, Balaixa, Stay and Cantonet which we enjoyed very much. I would never have tried them if it hadn't been for the forum.

However, as another twist, I was persuaded to go back to Ca'n Costa in May because it had changed hands and this time it was the best!! The food was fantastic and I would really recommend a meal there.

It's great when people visit the restaurants and then report back on them as things can change very quickly and it's always interesting to read what other people write.

I'm just trying to think of when we can go back again.:\

Jane

PS - Just seen Porto's post - you are all more than welcome to come and chat with us - it would be great to see some new faces and we're a real friendly bunch in there!
Old 18-10-2005, 01:38
yorkie426

Hi CD

Thanks for your post. The forum is a great help when choosing which places to eat at.Most of the recommendations came up trumps for us.Whilst we knew about Stay we would have never have found O'lume or Los Zaroles without members help.

O'Lume is a "find" no question. But what is strange is how the number of diners seem to vary so much from one evening to another.

We went on one night and there was only 3 couples in there. The next time it was "heaving" and included 2 couples who we had recommended the place to! It must make it difficult to provide the corrrect level of service when this is the case. The guy who is running the place also told us that the night before the night it was full to the rafters there were only 2 couples in ! He also said that out of season the restaurant is very popular with locals which is good news for its survival.

I suspect that because O'lume is not aplace you would normally walk past that forum readers are making a huge difference to its popularity.

Regards

Yorkie426
Old 18-10-2005, 02:09

Just back and again had some amazing meals at favourite haunts and a couple of new ones.

Los Zarzales.. still my favourite in the Port both for service, Yolanda is the most charming and helpfull hostess, and food On her recommendation I had the suckling pig (on the rib) and it was delicious.The courtyard setting is also beautiful.

Tiberi..this was a new one we tried, just up from cafe L'Algar in the square.It is very reasonable and quite trendy. I had the most delicious pasta..rigatone stuffed with raisins and pine nuts in a mushroom sauce..and never stopped talking about it all week!!

Tribeca..ok'ish but nothing to write home about. We both had tuna but it was a bit dry and tasteless.

Cap de Canto..very good, again another new one for us,tucked away in the same street as Tots. Excellent service and beautifully presented food. We were quite surprised though that they turned two couples away who just wanted drinks ,as there were empty tables and gone 10 o'clock so not likely to get more diners. The fact that the owner was Mallorcian made this even more surprising as normally its fine just to mix with diners even if you are only drinking.

O Lume.. .was going to be our choice for friday night but unfortunately my husband drilled through a water pipe!!! Oh the language! (him) oh the hysterics! (me ) Never have I laughed as much as seeing this drenched man plugging the hole with his finger and water spraying out in all directions :rollin Needless to say we stayed in and had an Indian takeaway whilst waiting for the plumber!

C'AN COSTA!!! Again this was our top restaurant! Attentive ,knowledgable friendly staff . Delicious varied menu and the most wonderful setting in the old converted cinema in the old town.Really fantastic! (ps Alex if you read this I got the salt and pepper mills..thank you!)

Now I start the diet :eek
Old 07-12-2005, 00:50

1. O Lume. If I had to dine for seven consecutive nights at the same restaurant (and add several inches to my waistline in the process), this would be the place. (In fact, went there twice.) It is located on an unilluminated side street that is hard to find at night. The service and attention were also unmatched.

2. Los Zarzales -- Their roast suckling pig is out of this world. There is inside and outside seating. Sat inside, it was quiet, nice atmosphere and a wonderful dinner.

3. La Fortelesa -- Excellent dinner, good value.

4. Tango -- Great lunch, good value.

5. El Posito -- Excellent dinner, good value, grilled baby squid particularly good. Lunch, however, was rather limited, though bountiful if measured by portion size compared to price.

6. Burger King -- Just kidding
Old 07-12-2005, 01:35
yorkie426

Default OUR CHOICE OF THE BEST PLACES TO EAT

Hi hiker biker

Interesting post and so pleased you chose many of our favourites and enjoyed them. Had you eaten at any of these places before?
How did you chose which restaraunts to visit?

Regards

Yorkie
Old 07-12-2005, 04:55

Default Re: OUR CHOICE OF THE BEST PLACES TO EAT

Hi Yorkie,

These restaurants (with the exception of Burger King LOL) were highly recommended by various members of this discussion board.