Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Alcudia (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/alcudia/)
-   -   Genestar (restaurant review, September 2011) (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/alcudia/8002-genestar-restaurant-review-september-2011-a.html)

Harters 12-09-2011 12:03

Genestar (restaurant review, September 2011)

You can’t always rely on what guidebooks or, indeed, websites and forums have to say about restaurants. But the Michelin Guide awards Genestar its “Bib Gourmand” – indicating there’s good and imaginative cooking at a competitive price. It’s the only Bib in the Alcudia/Pollensa area and one of around only 200 in the whole of Spain. Joan Josep Genestar weaves his magic to offer up a 5 course, no choice, menu for just €28 (well under Michelin’s €40 definition of “competitive”). A meal here is probably going to be the best bargain you’ll find in the area. And make sure you book otherwise you’re very likely to get turned away. We had booked online, using LiveBookings.com and had a confirmation but the restaurant had no record ot it. There was a bit of faffing around while records were double checked but, in the end, there was no problem in seating us.

There’s no printed menu, Joan comes to each table and explains what he’s cooking for you that night. As you might expect, it’s quite intricate cooking, so it’s as well that he has good English, otherwise we’d have only managed to get the gist of it in Castilian.

To kick off, there’s a cold salmorejo soup. Tasting much as a classic gazpacho, but thicker in consistency, this was served in a glass. A spoon was provided but it was much easier to just pick it up and sip it. Like gazpacho, the flavours here were simple and bang-on.

Next up, a slice of fried brioche, topped with spinach and ratatouille vegetables and a little bit of foie gras terrine to add even more richness to the plate. However, as a counterpoint to the richness, there was a drizzle around the plate of a thinnish crème fraiche sauce and a vinaigrette.

The fish course was a single piece of cod, accompanied by onions, cooked long and slow, so they were very sweet. As a contrast, a hint of spicy pimento in there as well.

The final savoury course saw a small escalope of Iberico pork coated in a mix of breadcrumbs, crushed almonds and peanuts and then fried. This was masterly - the coating very crisp, yet the meat remained most and tasty. It was surrounded by a bitter orange sauce and a scattering of dried fruits. I wanted to rush into the kitchen and given Joan a big man-hug by way of appreciation.

Dessert was a rich, yet not cloyingly sweet, chocolate cake. It came with a delicious orange ice cream which matched it perfectly.

I know there’s lots of good eating around the area but if I had to recommend just one restaurant to someone visiting, this would be it.

Oddsnends 12-09-2011 20:19

Thank you for submitting your reviews I enjoyed reading them all. In fact all of the reviews on this forum have been most helpful. I was dithering as to what restaurant to book for a special occasion and this one was in my top five. I think you have just made my mind up.

Cheers.

debz1 13-09-2011 09:04

Harters thanks for all your great reviews and especially for this one on Genestar which sounds amazing.

Definitely one to book after the kids have gone home in ten days!

alcanadakid 13-09-2011 13:45

This sounds our sort of place. I believe the chef used to be at Es Convente before it closed and that was amazing food.

The only restuarant to match it in the area is Jardin in Alcudia, but lately her menu has been too much exotic seafood for us.

Oddsnends 04-12-2011 10:43

Just thought I would update this with our experience. I pre-booked by an online booking service and checked again when we arrived in Alcudia, all was OK. The meal was great, a good variety of different dishes all cook very well and there was a lovely atmosphere about the place. I also thought the prices were very reasonable. I would not hesitate in recommending this restaurant to anyone.

Cheers

Belladonna 04-12-2011 11:57

Thanks Oddsnends (took me 3 goes to type that right!) We tried to get in a couple of visits ago, but our timings were wrong. Good to know it is doing well, and look forward to getting there at some point!