Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Alcudia (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/alcudia/)
-   -   Bogus car park attendant (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/alcudia/10535-bogus-car-park-attendant.html)

alcanadakid 18-08-2013 10:19

Bogus car park attendant

In the large car park opposite Alcudia market, there is a bogus car park attendant trying to collect fees for this free car park. He wears a green jacket of the type we all keep in our cars. When challenged he asks for a donation rather than a fee. Needless to say he doesn't give tickets.

A firm "No" is all that is needed..... or an offer to take his photo.

eleanor 18-08-2013 11:05

Gosh they get everywhere don't they! Thanks for the warning as many wouldn't think to challenge. Think we could write a book on all the scams!

clinkham 18-08-2013 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleanor (Post 87469)
Gosh they get everywhere don't they! Thanks for the warning as many wouldn't think to challenge. Think we could write a book on all the scams!

I wouldn't bother Eleanor: by the time you publish, new scams would be out there and your content would be out of date. ;)

eleanor 18-08-2013 11:26

Story of my life clinkham! Lol

Seriously you are right. It s impossible to keep that step ahead isn't it. Good to be aware though. I wouldn't question paying in a carpark normally but will now!

Sparky 18-08-2013 12:22

Thank you for the warning Alcanadakid........forewarned is forearmed as they say :(.

fil6699 18-08-2013 18:29

They actually tried this same scam here in the Port Car park a number of years ago. I took the car down to the boat to take some things for the boat and this joker came over and asked me for some money. When I explained I had a boat in the Port and suggested he came with me to the port office as the car park was free he disappeared fast was very funny.
Now of course we have ticket machines and officially have you to pay which I would like to add in principle is a wonderful idea as it stops people using it as a dumping ground for the Hire car they though they would need and prohibiting people from using the car park who need it.
however interesting fact for you. if you have a Boat moored in the Port you can actually get a parking permit for the car park. That is the good news the bad news is you have to go all the way to Palma to get it despite the fact you book and pay for your mooring here in the Port and as we all know getting any document from Palma can be a whole new world of pain and by the time you get it summer has passed. So as you can only park for 2 hours unless you are dropping something of for your boat or planning a very short trip the car park in the Port is useless. deep joy lol

Disorderly 19-08-2013 13:30

I must say that since we first started coming to PP (1994) there are way more places to park. Never seem to have a problem nowadays, even at very busy times.

alcanadakid 07-08-2014 10:40

FYI - the "attendant" at the Alcudia market car park on Tuesday was quite aggressive when we told him parking was free.

Just be firm and tell him to "**** off ". Lots of people behind us followed our example when we refused to pay. I think I am a marked man!

It is still the same guy so someone must be turning a blind eye to him. ( he has no ID - just wears the yellow jacket we all have in our cars). If everyone gave him a euro, he would make a few hundred euros each market day.

Offer to take his photo if he persists.

Belladonna 07-08-2014 11:42

I posted about this guy before, but cant remember where. To be fair, I think he does a good job for a 1€ "donation". We have been to Alcudia car park where it just impossible to get a proper space that wont either block someone in or double or triple park, or you come back to find you cant get out for a couple of hours!
This guy at least appeared to be directing the cars to a suitable space and made life a lot easier. Whats a euro after all said and done, and he made me smile!
Yes, of course you are in your right to just say no thanks, not today, and walk off, (I do appreciate that if he was aggressive about it, then your opinion is totally different from mine!) but at least he is doing a bit of community service rather than just begging or pickpocketing etc! :o

Sparky 07-08-2014 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcanadakid (Post 97114)
FYI - the "attendant" at the Alcudia market car park on Tuesday was quite aggressive when we told him parking was free.

Just be firm and tell him to "**** off ". Lots of people behind us followed our example when we refused to pay. I think I am a marked man!

It is still the same guy so someone must be turning a blind eye to him. ( he has no ID - just wears the yellow jacket we all have in our cars). If everyone gave him a euro, he would make a few hundred euros each market day.

Offer to take his photo if he persists.

Thanks for the warning Alcanadakid, i find it very worrying that this guy is now becoming aggressive if you refuse to pay, this makes it a form of mugging and it should be reported to the police. It may only be a euro but people should not be harassed into paying for something that is free :mad:.

redshirt 08-08-2014 15:42

Thanks to all for info

Mike/Sue