Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Wine and More Wine (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/)
-   -   Not wine, but gin. It's still fine.... (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/13942-not-wine-but-gin-its-still-fine.html)

martinchip10 03-07-2018 17:32

Not wine, but gin. It's still fine....

Apologies but I feel that this fine beverage deserves a thread of its own and I cannot see one elsewhere. Please feel free to move to a more relevant space if you wish Sparky.
Gin appears to be experiencing a resurgence in popularity and I for one am ecstatic about this. It have even taken me away from my beloved JD.
Sitting in Una gin bar most nights we have trialled a number of splendid gins with lovely accompanying flavours.
Favourite so far is Puerto de Indias strawberry gin with a decent tonic and slices of strawberries. Only 16 euros a bottle too in Eroski.
Amyone care to share any other recommendations?

Sparky 03-07-2018 17:43

I am not a gin drinker but have heard lots of rave reviews of Ca’n Vidalet Premier Gin Onze, they serve it in No.31 ;).

Luckyone 03-07-2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinchip10 (Post 123495)
Apologies but I feel that this fine beverage deserves a thread of its own and I cannot see one elsewhere. Please feel free to move to a more relevant space if you wish Sparky.
Gin appears to be experiencing a resurgence in popularity and I for one am ecstatic about this. It have even taken me away from my beloved JD.
Sitting in Una gin bar most nights we have trialled a number of splendid gins with lovely accompanying flavours.
Favourite so far is Puerto de Indias strawberry gin with a decent tonic and slices of strawberries. Only 16 euros a bottle too in Eroski.
Amyone care to share any other recommendations?

Yes, we just love Brockmans, big glass, lots of ice, blue berries, black berries and or orange peel with Fever Tree Light or Blue Kas. I think your gin bar hast it, we bought in the Wine/Spirit shop next to Tabac down from Hiper Centro.

car77 03-07-2018 21:38

Where is Una Gin bar please?

Car

martinchip10 03-07-2018 23:03

It is virtually opposite Nostalgia and Bar Tueca.

prattyIG8 05-07-2018 12:35

Totally agree with Luckyone Brockmans is my favourite!

alcanadakid 05-07-2018 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 123496)
I am not a gin drinker but have heard lots of rave reviews of Ca’n Vidalet Premier Gin Onze, they serve it in No.31 ;).

We love that gin too. It is very floral.

You can buy it from the Ca'n Vidalet vineyard which is on the road between Pollenca and Alcudia.

Shaun&Caro 05-07-2018 14:40

Question to the experts (and dedicated amateurs)....

How much does the flavour of the tonic (or other mixer) affect the taste of your favourite gin, or do you drink it neat?

My dear old mother used to love a gin and orange. And it was orange squash!

Teflon 05-07-2018 16:14

Does Caro know what a mixer is?????? :)

Luckyone 05-07-2018 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun&Caro (Post 123531)

How much does the flavour of the tonic (or other mixer) affect the taste of your favourite gin, or do you drink it neat?

As an amateur, some tonics do go better with gin of your choice. I taste tonic on its own and if I don't like it I don't use in my favourite gins. All personal taste. :)

alcanadakid 05-07-2018 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun&Caro (Post 123531)

According to C’an Vidalet, their gin should drunk neat over ice. They do admit that some like tonic and recommend Fevertree. - and never Schweppes!

It’s all down to personal preference, but we like both tonics but with a preference for Fevertree

Shaun&Caro 06-07-2018 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 123533)
Does Caro know what a mixer is?????? :)

Of course. She mixes her gin with tequila, rosé, Jagermeister...... :)

Tommo 07-07-2018 10:25

I'm not really a gin drinker. Not keen on the London dry gin. However, a friend who lives in Minorca introduced me to the local gin, Xorigur and that I quite liked.id recommend you gin lovers try it.

JPALCOVER 29-07-2018 20:42

Well, on the high end, I would recommend "The Botanist" gin

Locally, I would go for Larios.

wiggyman 24-08-2018 19:17

Another vote for Xoriguer (pronounced Choriguer, bar staff laugh when we try and ask ��) its become our favourite, we were told it was first distilled by an expat who moved to Menorca, there was a limonade place next door and is good served with limon, and called Pomada