Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 10:02

Default Serious cycle routes from PP

With my cycling club I have been riding a week-long March training camp based in PP for the past 15 years.

My lad needed a 'skill' as a component of his Duke of Edinburgh challenge and so he took up web design. And what better subject than cycle routes from Puerto Pollensa?

He has mapped the ten or so main rides that we do, varying from short 30 miles of flat stuff to 90 miles of mountains.

For anyone interested, here's the link to the site:-

www.tmracing.org.uk/bi-po/
Sponsored Links
Old 13-04-2011, 22:48

Thanks,that will come in handy in 2 weeks time! was the Rapha club at sis pins up and running when you were out?
Old 14-04-2011, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanuk View Post
Thanks,that will come in handy in 2 weeks time! was the Rapha club at sis pins up and running when you were out?
We've stopped at the Pollensa Park for the past 15 years, so I'm never sure what happens a the other end of town . However, I don't think that Sis Pins was yet open when we were there in mid-March.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanuk View Post
There was a big cycling event going on there 3 weeks ago, loads of lycra clad bodies had taken over the area.
Old 14-04-2011, 13:27

Thanks Guys, hope the weather lasts ...sounds good at the moment
Old 14-04-2011, 18:24

The gazebo is definitely Rapha.
Old 28-05-2011, 17:40

Just discovered your lads site Rich, fantastic I will be trying the shorter ones with my Son in a few weeks, Thanks.
Old 30-05-2011, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
Just discovered your lads site Rich, fantastic I will be trying the shorter ones with my Son in a few weeks, Thanks.
If you want some more routes then just let me know what distance you're after and I'll put my thinking cap on. By all means drop me a PM.
Old 15-08-2011, 21:02

Default Routes and Cycling Buddy Next Week

Hi, Anyone cycling in PP next week, 21-28 Aug 2011?

Keen to share rides, 20 - 60 miles.

Any chance of some more routes that are on the shorter side 30-40 miles, with some elevation for views?
Old 16-08-2011, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondsbury Puffer View Post
Any chance of some more routes that are on the shorter side 30-40 miles, with some elevation for views?
Here's a 50km ride that's one of my favourites - especially if you can get out early before the traffic/heat. When I was in PP last month I aimed to be on the road by 7:00am and I did this one most mornings, getting back before the missus had woken up.

I've mapped this one from the marina, but you can pick it up wherever suits your location:-

Route on gmap-pedometer.com

1) Take the road out of town towards Alcudia, past Tolo's and the Pollensa Park, then turn half-rightish into Av de LLenaira (1 mile) There's shortly a roundabout where this road crosses the new by-pass. Continue on the lane and eventually it meets the main road (MA-2200) near Pollensa old town (4 miles).

2) Turn left here (you're not supposed to, but......) and continue on this road by-passing the old town. There are a few dips and climbs and you'll go past the golf course (7 miles)

3) At 8 miles travelled in total there's a right turn to Campagnet. This isn't well signed, but there are two or three local yellow roadsigns pointing down here.

4) Pass the Coves de Campagnet on your left and the road crosses a small bridge and turns sharply left (13 miles).

5) Continue along this lane towards Sa Pobla - there is a 1/2 mile section of poor surface along here - and you'll come to the motorway roundabout (15 miles).

6) Straight on toward Sa Pobla and you'll get to the Sa Pobla ring road. Turn left at this roundabout and straight on over the next 3 roundabouts, turning left at the 4th (there is a big pale brown building on the corner here) and you have to go all the around the island to almost come back on yourself (17.5 miles).

7) Waayyy in the distance you'll see the chimney stack for the power station. It doesn't look very far away, but it never seems to get any closer. There are a couple of twists and turns - watch out for the road narrowing as it crosses a bridge.

8) Eventually you'll pass the power station and at the next roundabout go straight over and pass the Muro hospital on your right (23 miles). Turn left at the next roundabout onto the main Arta to Alcudia road, heading towards Port D'Alcudia.

9) Straight on the roundabout with the red squiggle sculpture (25 miles), past the petrol station and school on your right, then half-left at the next island, heading towards Alcudia Old Town.

9) Just before the traffic lights in front of the castle turn left and follow this lane down and to the right, bringing you out at the roundout on the Pollensa bay road (26.5 miles).

10) Use the bike lane and follow this all the way around the bay back to PP. Watch out for cyclists come the other way in your cycle lane!

Last edited by Rich; 17-08-2011 at 10:12.
Old 17-08-2011, 16:53

Smile Routes and Cycling Buddy Next Week

Thanks Richard

This route looks my sort of thing. I guessed an early start would be required - but bike hires seem to start at 8:00am. I will just have to get one for a couple of days.

Thanks Again Martin
Old 18-08-2011, 09:58

Hi Martin,

You mentioned a 'route with a view'. You could try this one:-

Gmap-pedometer route 5015416

It's a 40 miler (65km) and takes in the Selva Gorge and the Lluch monastery.

Follow the route as above to the Coves de Camapgnet, but when the road turns sharply left after the little bridge, do an immediate right turn towards Campagnet village. Then follow the signs to Moscari and Selva (several short, sharp climbs along this section).

At Selva, turn right and pass through CaiMari. From here the road turns very much uphill and there's about a 8km true mountain climb. It's not steep, but it does go on a bit A new road surface was laid a couple of years ago so it's a nice smooth climb. Much of the slope on this side is tree lined, so the road is shaded and not too hot.

There's a petrol station at the very top of the climb (nice coffee stop), then turn right to drop down to the Lluch Monastery turn. There are two (or possibly three?) 1 km uphill sections before getting to the top of the pass, then it's a wonderful long descent back down to Pollensa old town.

The main road between PP and the Old Town is cycle friendly as there is a good quality cycle lane down both sides.
Old 18-08-2011, 17:14

Thanks rich very usefull.
Old 31-08-2011, 19:55

Rich -Thanks for all your help I had a great 3 days using all the routes you suggested. I am not good in the heat so was able to start at 7:00 and get 3hours in before the sun got too high. I had a few evening runs to the remote coves and lighthouses.

The mountains above CaiMari where spectacular and I am now deterimed to get back at a cooler time of year. Even the flat farm land was a pleasure with no cars, sheep bells and farmers picking figs in the morning mist.

Pro Cycling were great, with a very well equiped bike for 15 Euros a day. Although I now know why people take their own saddle!

Cheers Martin
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36

Hi Martin,

Glad that the routes worked out OK.

I'll be out in PP for a week's training in mid-March. We do routes between 55 and 85 miles, setting off at a sociable 9:30am. For the past 15 years we've stayed at the Pollensa Park.

By all means drop me a PM if you're interested.