Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 09:09

Hi guys yesterday I was walking accross a zebra crossing, got half way when a stream of 20plus cyclists flash past me and my wife, even though a car had stopped for us. Do cyclists not have to stop for pedestrians on crossings?
debz1 and Carol like this.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:21
Super Moderator

Not sure if it's true but i was once told that the rule for "zebra crossings" here is different and that you are not obliged to stop, i must say that even the police and guardia often keep going .
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&C@29 View Post
Hi guys yesterday I was walking accross a zebra crossing, got half way when a stream of 20plus cyclists flash past me and my wife, even though a car had stopped for us. Do cyclists not have to stop for pedestrians on crossings?
That happened twice with us while we were over, although we were in the car and had stopped for pedestrians.....cyclists came up behind us and carried on before pedestrian could cross over
Carol likes this.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:44
Super Moderator

OK i have found this on the web :-

Quote:
Motorists are required by law to stop for a pedestrian waiting at a pedestrian crossing only if he indicates his intention to cross by giving a clear hand-signal or placing one foot on the crossing. It’s never safe to assume that you have the right of way as a pedestrian crossing in Spain, particularly in cities, where motorists are very reluctant to stop.

At a pedestrian crossing with pedestrian lights, pedestrians are supposed to wait for a green light (or green man) before crossing the road (sometimes they must press a button), irrespective of whether there’s any traffic. The green light may be accompanied by an audible signal, which may be a few short bleeps just before the light changes to red.

A blinking green light means don’t cross unless you’re already on the crossing (note that the light for motorists may change to green when you’re half way across the road even when you started to cross on a green light, so always look out for traffic). You can be fined for crossing the road at the wrong place or ignoring pedestrian lights and crossings.
sws97sdg and lollipop like this.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Just educate the cyclists to use cycle lanes when provided, and not ride in pairs when one of them is practically on the middle line of the road and not to ride on pavements - may not result in a 'love-love' relationship but it might be a start
Or on the flip side educate the people who provide the cycle lanes on how to actually prepare a surface that bicycle which doesn't have suspension or wide tyres can safely travel on...and educate the driver that they should be giving a bicycle as much room as they would a car when possible which means you should be right across the white line anyway when passing not just trying to squeeze by.

This is why it is legal for cyclists to travel 2 abreast on the road. It is safer for the cyclist if the driver passing drives properly and the passing car will be on the opposite side of the road for a shorter distance/time than if passing 2 in single file.

Cyclists will also tend to dominate their lane approaching sharp blind bends to discourage the possibility of dangerous overtakes and give them a better view of what is around the bend early.

I will concede that they should not be on pavements but can understand why some people would not want to send their children onto the roads given the danger from uneducated motorists

Cyclists have a responsibility too obviously and I personally like to get that car that is bearing down on me safely past and away as quickly and safely as I can and I will wave them past if I can see better that it is clear.

The following 2 videos are quite helpful

https://youtu.be/o9pmw2ckQSU

https://youtu.be/OTGRQgw6PDA
Jonsey likes this.

Last edited by vincent; 03-05-2017 at 13:02.
Old 03-05-2017, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
OK i have found this on the web :-
I think the critical word is "motorist", so I am not clear how it affects cyclists.
Old 03-05-2017, 19:07
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I think the critical word is "motorist", so I am not clear how it affects cyclists.
I think the rules of the road apply to all road users the same as they do in the UK .
Old 04-05-2017, 10:32

Quote:
I think the rules of the road apply to all road users the same as they do in the UK .
I am afraid not Sparky.

A lot of our (UK) traffic laws start with "Whilst driving a motor vehicle on a road or public place......"
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I am afraid not Sparky.

A lot of our (UK) traffic laws start with "Whilst driving a motor vehicle on a road or public place......"
So does that mean if a cyclist kills or injures someone on a zebra crossing or going the wrong way on a one-way street they cannot be prosecuted .
Old 04-05-2017, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&C@29 View Post

This happened a few times to me in April on the crossing near Tolos. On one occasion I have to say I found it unbelievable that a car had stopped, I was half way across the road, but the bikes just kept on going. I can foresee an accident occurring, especially as the bike lane is two way whereas as its one way for cars!
Lorenzo and Carol like this.
Old 04-05-2017, 19:03

This is the law in the UK so not sure if it applies in Mallorca.... as if 😂

A spokesman from the Metropolitan police said: ‘A cyclist may pass behind a pedestrian (with due care and consideration) but must “accord precedence” i.e. allow a pedestrian to cross first unless the pedestrian is on the opposite carriageway and there is a central island.’
Read more: This cyclist got an earful from an irate pedestrian | Metro News
Old 04-05-2017, 21:34

Quote:
So does that mean if a cyclist kills or injures someone on a zebra crossing or going the wrong way on a one-way street they cannot be prosecuted .
In that case they could be prosecuted with manslaughter, GBH, ABH or common assault,but not careless or dangerous driving which require the use of a motor vehicle.
Sparky and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 04-05-2017, 22:53

Slightly off topic, I know, but this morning we took a leisurely stroll along the Pine Walk up to the Illa' Dor. Just in front of Corb Mari, 5 lycra clad cyclists who were making their merry way towards the Dania were confronted by two local police officers, who had them off those bikes in a matter of seconds, (these guys must have known what they were doing was dangerous, the pavement was at the time ridicously crowded, it being a very warm and sunny morning).

A couple of hours later, on our return, we stopped for a liquid lunch at the Bahia, (as one does), during which time I witnessed three separate occcassions when groups of cyclists came hurtling along, (probably each time about 4 or 5 in number). We all know how narrow the walk is along this stretch, and I fear that sometime this summer, a terrible incident, (if that's the right word) is going to occur. Common sense would tell one that this type of behaviour is just an accident waiting to happen. In fairness I must say there were numerous other cyclists this afternoon who were walking alongside their bikes.

Anyway, apologies to all, rant over, I'm just stating what I saw.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:27

Hopefully by the time the school holidays start the majority of cyclists will be gone as too hot for serious cycling.
Carol likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 15:03

I have been informed by someone who is in the cycle business here, cyclists have to follow the laws as other vehicles. This includes not riding in pedestrian areas and pavements and not going the wrong way up one way streets.

It is a shame that a selfish minority cause bad feeling for the majority. Safety for all, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians must be our first concern.
Lorenzo and Jonsey like this.