Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 21:16

Default Running in Pollensa

Hi,

I am a 'first timer' visiting Pollensa for a week or so in latter part of September and would be really helpful if anyone could suggest some decent running routes. Ideally ones that are not too busy / crowded as will need to go at a decent pace and anything from 7-10 miles albeit could double loop / do out and back as that will probably limit the (high) chance of me getting lost.

I'm staying just off the 'Ma-10' road near centre of Pollensa and looking at google maps there is what looks like a national park/forest 'Font D'algaret' about a km away so not sure if this has decent off road paths etc that ok underfoot?

Have also seen out towards Alcudia is good but quite a distance away and Puerto Pollensa out and back might be an option if suitable route there and back.

Thanks v much
Sponsored Links
Old 19-09-2014, 22:41
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, do have a look at this link :- runnyknows ... the way in Majorca! - Home
Old 20-09-2014, 08:36

Hi Tim, the Font D'algaret is on private land, a permit is needed to access this land. 20 people a day can access, see thread "castel del rei".
If you do get a permit its an excellent run, (ive only walked it but have seen others run).
Other than that, the lanes around Pollensa make for good running as does the Cami de Lluc, not far from where you are based. Of course the sea front is perfect but can be busy until you get towards Alcudia. You can drive and run around the Fonts D'algar near Campanet but you would need to do a few laps to get your mileage in. Enjoy
Old 20-09-2014, 15:09

Friends who stayed with us this year went running with Joanna (Runnyknows) and they were very impressed....a pace and route to suit them and she was so friendly...highly recommended.
pollensa, Sparky and JMD40 like this.
Old 20-09-2014, 17:56

Out the back of Alcudia there is a huge roundabout which takes you on the main road to Inca etc about 500 yds up on the left is a side road , park up along here & head for the hills up & around the top of the quarry, there are lots of tracks & nobody there ,unless you go in shooting season , but don't worry there will be lots of signs & bangs .
happy running.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:47

Thanks for replies thus far.

Hi Roig Cat - have applied for my permit for Ternelles.....do you happen to know best way to get to the gate/entrance if running? I am staying v close to junction of Cami de Ternelles and Ma-10 so guessing the easiest would be just to run up Cami de Ternelles for couple of km until it appears to reach a dead end on google maps which I'm assuming is where entrance/gate is? Also struggling to find Cami de Lluc on the map, do you know how I would get onto this from Ma-10? Thanks very much.
Old 24-09-2014, 06:39

just keep going up that Ternelles road,you will run past some lovely old villas on a sharp bend & a steepish hill entrance at the top.
The entrance to the cami de Lluc is further along the MA 10 & signed.
Old 24-09-2014, 08:52

Hi Tim, just as Cumberland says, go up the Cami Ternelles and you will eventually get to an electric gate.. You will have been seen on camera by the guard who will let you in as long as you have your permit and passport.
Enjoy.

You can also access the Cami de Lluc from the Refuge de Pollensa near the Roman Bridge. Just cross the main road at the end of Cami de Ternelles.
Old 24-09-2014, 16:19

Thanks both. A couple of follow-up qu's if you don't mind!

- is Cami de Lluc the same / alternative name for the dry stone GR 221 route from Pollenca to Lluc Monastery and beyond?

-are the MA roads such as Ma-10, 2200, 13 generally suitable for running on or too busy / dangerous with traffic etc?

ps anyone know best place in Pollenca to access a printer to print my Ternelles permit as will not have one at place I am staying?

Thks v much

Tim
Old 24-09-2014, 17:58

Hi, yes it is the GR221 well spotted! It becomes quite steep and more of a cross country run but the initial few miles are flat.
Folk do run on the main roads, the MA 10 from Pollensa to Port Pollensa has a cycle/walking track running the full 5km length which is a popular route. I would avoid long periods on the main roads otherwise. The lanes between Pollensa and Alcudia, or the ones from the Ma10 towards Llenaire are my personal favourite: cant help but nosey at all the lovely villas whilst running.

You could ask the Tourist information office to print off your pass, they applied for and printed mine off. It's opposite the cloisters, the details can be searched for on this site.

Im sure you will love it. April is my favourite time, lovely herbal smells, greenery and fresh running/walking air. Ive just broke my tib and fib, none weight bearing for 6 weeks now so very envious of anyone with mobility. I broke them walking the Templer Way in Devon 10 days ago, lets hope I'm back on both feet for our 3 day walking break in November, if not will just do some car tours, not the same though but the scenery will help my mental healing, I'm going a bit stir crazy.

Please post how you got on, great to hear reviews from first timers and don't hesitate to ask any more questions.
El Gordo likes this.

Last edited by roig cat; 25-09-2014 at 12:04. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 07-10-2014, 21:08

Thanks roig_cat and hope the fib/tib heal quickly (I know the feeling having had a tibula stress fracture from running a number of years ago).

Back now from a great trip and a bit of feedback on my running routes if useful for others:

Ternelles estate - fantastic run, one of the best I've ever done and ended up doing 3 times. Only saw one couple hiking and other than that was just me, the mountains and the goats/sheep/horses/etc. Essentially the first few miles are uphill through woodland tracks which then open up into the mountains and then the sea suddenly appears in a gap between them. Another couple of miles and then it's a descent down to the cove whilst all the time knowing you are going to have to run straight back up! After a minute or two enjoying the sound of the sea against the rocks and having a quick splash of sea water on the face, it's then a torturous climb back up (if you look up just as you leave the cove you can see how far you have to climb..and probably wished you hadn't looked!) winding paths that zig zag up the mountain....once you get to the first cattle grid after about 15-20 mins of constant climbing then you then have a nice downhill several miles to finish back at the gates.

Some useful info bits for anyone looking to do a walk / run in Ternelles soon:

- there were a couple of tracks branching off the main track that had a yellow 'forbidden to pass without authorisation' sign and I think one of these was for the castle which you can see (plus a few black vultures) up on a hill during the run. I remember seeing from another thread that the castle access has been closed off for a while so seems this is still the case - not sure if anyone knows how to get the authorisation to pass these 'forbidden' signs but guessing may be for estate staff/selected individuals only rather than general public?

- here is the latest link to the page to apply for permits Ajuntament de Pollença and you can see from calendar how many are left for each date. I got mine emailed to me within 24-48 hours and rather than printing out you can show the guard the permit on your phone. (Also need to have your passport - if getting dropped off at gates then just leave passport/phone with whoever driving you to save carrying if running....and guard will let you drive through gates and turn round.)

Dry Stone Route / GR221 - well signposted from Pont de Roma refuge in Pollenca, I only did the first 4 miles or so (towards Lluc) then ran back, mainly flat and on quite back roads / lanes and grave/dirt tracks. A good 'recovery run' from the hills of the Ternelles run!

Running/Cycle path from Pollenca to Puerto Pollenca - flat and was very quiet when I did it as was a storm. Just follows the MA 10 though bit between Pont de Roma and Lidl is on a parallel back road.

Lanes between Pollenca/Alcudia/Cala St Vincente - good for running as not much traffic.

Has anyone done a hike/run to that sanctuary on the mountain/hill overlooking Pollenca town (opposite side of the town from Ternelles)? Looks very high up so not sure how accessible it is and did not have time to investigate.
pollensa, Mark, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 08-10-2014, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim999 View Post
Has anyone done a hike/run to that sanctuary on the mountain/hill overlooking Pollenca town (opposite side of the town from Ternelles)? Looks very high up so not sure how accessible it is and did not have time to investigate.
Puig Maria I think? Been up there a few times, in recent years maybe our progress could be described as close to a hike but we have never tried running it! The first time my wife and I got to the top our younger son did the entire journey in a pram. If you are fairly physically fit it's fine and the view from the top is stunning. There's an old monastery at the top with a chapel and a hostal with refreshments.

Last edited by Sparky; 08-10-2014 at 09:21. Reason: Direct link removed.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:46

It is a steep climb so good luck running it! Most of it is a road so that shouldn't be a problem but the last section is a winding cobbled path which is slippery and has loose stones so maybe not so good for running so care would be needed. But great views from the top when you get there!

On island time!!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:03

Ah super Tim, do you think you will be back?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:41
Founder

We walked up the Puig de Maria last week. I'm not too fit and found it quite hard going and it was very hot but I managed it! The restaurant serves meals at set times but also appears to serve drinks and ice creams (very welcome) during the day. It's lovely to get one and sit out on the terrace.

Whilst we were slowly walking up we were passed by a young woman in running gear sprinting up and then down again - so Yes some of you CAN run up - but not me!

Last edited by Sparky; 08-10-2014 at 09:22.