Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-2006, 02:44

Default Ten day eating challenge

Well now!

We have had the 14 day challenge and we have had the excellent post by Liz Glass on 7 days.

Trust me to be awkward and do a 10 day report!!

First night. Laroc, just off the Pine Walk.

Pizza and pasta mainly but meat and fish if you like. After travelling we arrived about 9pm and settled, me first in all cases, for Tagliatelle with mushrooms and wife Penna Arrabiata .The bread accompanying here is lovely and soft, olives are olives, and everyone gets a nice little very thin 3inch pizza as an appetiser. As a wine to go with I cannot remember but the wine itself as a nice Rioja, costing more than the simple, but ample, and excellent pastas. Happy with our start.

Second night Coral, straight across from Laroc.

Hadn’t been there for about five years , and chose it for convenience, our end of town. Have to say we tend to eat too much at lunchtime and take the bread, olives and alioli as a starter. Both went for the pork fillet with tumbet. This was the first place ever tasted tumbet about ten years ago, incidentally.
Not at all what I know tumbet can be like and enjoy, tasteless and mushy and the pork? Not fillet, three little medallions of loin more like. And the antics of the brothers? Can’t go the faux familiarity and the constant having to tell them , we had already ordered with your brother. No great memory of the red we choose to go with.Oh dear!!

Third night La Fortaleza.

Now we are talking!

As appetisers, Pimientos de Padron, duly advised by Martin to be careful, and spinach croquettes, both of which were great. Could not say one was better than the other.
For mains we both choose the shoulder of lamb which was really excellent, cooked to perfection, not fatty and falling off the bone. I have tried so many Mallorcan dishes but never this one . Did I pick the right place to try it!! The accompaniments were on a par.

To go with we choose a Mallorcan wine, Crianza from Jose Ferrer of Binnisalem, and felt it went very well with our meat dish.
Very well attended by Martin , Pauline and the young waiter. Some other diners who were like us, first timers, were equally impressed.
Only minor observation was that it was a bit warm, possibly as the air conditioning was not on or not sufficiently cool set.

Fourth night Kashmir.

As a rule in the UK we don’t eat Indian much, but in PP, like to visit Kashmir, but not necessarily every visit. We like to sit just outside and no more.

In the main course price, you get a starter, which can be fairly filling, veggie pakoras mainly, but the different tastes are welcome.
Had lamb boona and wife had tandoori chicken and a bottle of Rioja to go with. We both enjoyed the meal. However I remembered as we quaffed the wine that we’d chosen it before and perhaps it was not the best choice to go with our mains, but still we enjoyed. Nice large G+Ts to start as we were ordering.

Fifth night Cap de Canto

We’d been there before both at lunchtime and in the evening and despite some recent adverse comment re slow service we were up for it.

Always like the pate which comes with the bread and olives. Tonight is tuna. It has always been tuna to my memory!
One of the specials, a steak dish was off, this would be 8.30, so I went for sea bass steamed in tin foil with mussels and gerkins, with a light green salad and boiled potatoes, while wife had chicken chasseur. Bottle of house red to go with, sorry Jane!!
And red wine with fish, hey the French drink it all the time!
The fish was amazing , and the flesh came off the bone with no trouble at all. The chicken seemed pre cooked and had been cold, only to be heated up by the sauce over it. The sauce was delicious I was told, but not the chicken at all. My understanding of that dish is more as a casseroled one, the chicken absorbing all the juices of the sauce.

To be continued soon!!

What has to be remembered is at lunchtimes we were in to Menu del Dias some days, other treats like boquerones, tapas and a myriad of other things. Might even say what later!!:rollin :rollin
Sponsored Links
Old 21-10-2006, 16:25

Fantastic post, Porto!

I was wondering when you were going to divulge your secrets!

I have to comment on Coral as well. We went there for lunch after a morning spent on the beach and I had the mixed Tapas which I found disappointing and tasteless.

It was certainly a busy place and the staff were very friendly but it just missed the mark somehow. Hubby and son had spaghetti which looked good while my daughter had a "toasted" sandwich, which looked anaemic.

I came under a bit of fire from my family because I'd originally said we'd go to Laroc, but it was closed.:rolleyes

I look forward to reading your second part...

Jane