Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 23:56

Default SPRING 2008 (Part1)

SPRING 2008

We were fortunate enough to spend a week in the Port just after Easter, (1st. Week in April) and for once I managed to keep some details of our eating experiences. Being here earlier in the year than normal, means that for most of the time, everyone is eating inside, which enables you to see some of your favourite establishments in a new light. A completely different atmosphere, but none the worse for that, and without exception, the food was first class on every occasion. In addition to the places we visited that are mentioned below, Ca'an Ferrer was packed every night, although they only had one of the two buildings open, Corb Mari seemed to be just easing into the season, as did a few of the places around the Square such as El Mojito and Tiberi. Tolos seemed very busy, but isn’t it always but a couple of other favourites that side of the roundabout, eg: Los Faroles and Brisa Marina, again, seemed to be just getting into gear. We walked past Montenegro a few times, perhaps here’s a case of one Indian joint too many. It certainly doesn’t seem as if it will be any busier as a Curry House than it was as a Chinese. Also sad to report that Barquita looks as if it has finally closed for good, after several change of owners and styles in recent years. A great shame, because we had some fine meals here, but it was always going to struggle being situated right next door to Trios.

Unfortunately, much of the town centre resembled a building site, with the area between the former Castinets, and the Tango site immediately opposite, particularly effected. (Cranes and huge lorries everywhere!) To allow two such large building projects at the same time in such close proximity seems madness. There was also some major works taking place outside the Codfather area of the Square and the whole of Pescador Street, (behind the Hotel Bahia) was a complete no go area due the laying of new drains and renewal of pavements etc. It was here that I chanced apon a very glum looking Pedro outside his place, Bar Coral, which he was still unable to open. You couldn’t actually see much of the restaurant as it was mostly obscured by JCB’s. “They should be finishing today”, he said but without any real conviction.

We were informed by someone who should know, that Bona Cepa has closed for good, and that it’s due to be demolished to make way for yet another apartment block. After seeing what’s happening on the Castinets site, how long before Pascolino’s goes the same way. It’s only a single storey building on a very convenient corner and is of course “frontline”. Plenty of room there for another five storey block to keep the developers happy.

One set of restaurants do appear to go from strength to strength however The Dakota Tex Mex in the heart of the Square opposite Bony’s, although not full, was more than busy every night and probably had 3 times as many punters in at any one time as any of the other places in the area. Their other two establishments at the start of the Pine Walk also seemed to be doing rather well, the new one (formerly Mestral) particularly so. It’s the sign, (or signs, mounted high above the building that catch the eye) – “The Original American Food”, it proudly informs any would be customers. Still, there’s no avoiding the fact, it was busy all day from mid-morning to late evening, and this is in the first week of April!

No matter, as long as the places we visited this time, plus all the others that one just can’t get round in eight nights continue to flourish, then Puerto Pollensa will for me anyway, always be the culinary highlight of the Mediterranean. All prices quoted for meals by the way include the 7% I.V.A., (which incidentally seems a much better deal than the 17.5% that we have to pay in the UK). Roll on the summer!

EL POSITO
The first night back in the Port, especially this time of year, there really is only one place for dinner. Most people who use this Forum seem to know all about El Posito, it’s certainly one of the most discussed restaurants on here. However, for anyone who isn’t familiar with it, El Posito is situated in a quiet side street behind the main square, and is the type of place one could easily walk past without noticing it, which would be a great shame. I think it’s probably (together with La Fortalesa), the most authentic Mallorquin restaurant in the Port, and appears to be equally popular with locals and tourists alike.

A long, narrow room with two rows of tables, opposite which, is situated the equally long bar, lined with stools, from where people seem to appear from nowhere for a beer and a chat and then disappear again. After the usual friendly greeting from Tony,
one is presented with his menu of daily specials that most people tend to order from. This has always worked very well, for although there is an A La Carte menu, the specials indicate that the food is freshly prepared and they tend to change every day or so. I certainly get the impression that he prefers you to order from this menu, and I have yet to be disappointed. There is normally a choice of 3 or 4 starters, such as red peppers stuffed with seafood, fresh squid or prawns in garlic , homemade soup or tumbet. Mains might include roast suckling pig or shoulder of lamb, and there’s always two or three tempting fish dishes, perhaps baked cod, seafood paella, or some form of John Dory or Sea Bass.

On this, our first night, it was one Tumbet to share, (the portions are all on the large size!) which was so good I could happily become a vegetarian if the food was all like this. Next was roast suckling pig for two, which again was beautifully cooked and presented, and was so substantial that all we had room for after was a coffee each. With a small beer, gin & tonic, bread & olives, still water and a bottle of the quite superb Miquel Oliver Ses Ferritges 04, (15.50 euros) the total cost was 61.00 euros.

In fact the whole meal was so good, we returned later in the week with our good friends, Senor Ken and Lady Pollenca, and an equally good time was had by all. On this occasion we had a bottle of Cava as an aperitif, (14.00 euros) and, with the meal, two bottles of a Rioja that Tony enthusiastically recommended, the magnificent Campillo Gran Reserva. (Senor Ken seemed most impressed with this selection!)
The total bill, four starters and main meals, bread, water and coffee, and the wines described above, amounted to 150 euros. This equates to approximately £120-00, or £30-00 a head in old money, even allowing for the current ridiculous exchange rate. I don’t know of many places in the UK where such value could be found.

NEPTUNO
The best, (and probably one of the first) Tapas bars in the Port. The time to visit here is of a lunchtime, particularly if the weather looks a little unsettled. Forget the tables and chairs outside, go inside, squeezing yourself between delivery drivers and off duty waiters and get yourself on to one of the high stools that line the long bar. Try and ignore the ubiquitous large television perched up high in the corner with the sound turned down that nobody is watching, pick up a local paper and peruse the Spanish football results, and pretend you’re a local. This is a 100% genuine Majorcan bar, a small beer costing 1.50 euros, house wine by the glass for 2-20 euros, and a great selection of various small plates of meatballs, peppers, fish, tumbet etc. at about 3-50 euros a time. If you prefer something a little more substantial, the Chef is on hand in the small kitchen at the back of the bar, complete with Hotplate, Pans and Wok. Watching her from the safety of your Bar Stool cooking a Spanish Omelette or frying some fresh prawns in garlic and oil is indeed a treat. The only problem is having the discipline to know when to leave! It’s always dangerous, drinking wine by the glass!
Sponsored Links
Old 21-04-2008, 21:00

[QUOTE

Unfortunately, much of the town centre resembled a building site, with the area between the former Castinets, and the Tango site immediately opposite, particularly effected. (Cranes and huge lorries everywhere!) To allow two such large building projects at the same time in such close proximity seems madness. There was also some major works taking place outside the Codfather area of the Square and the whole of Pescador Street, (behind the Hotel Bahia) was a complete no go area due the laying of new drains and renewal of pavements etc. It was here that I chanced apon a very glum looking Pedro outside his place, Bar Coral, which he was still unable to open. You couldn’t actually see much of the restaurant as it was mostly obscured by JCB’s. “They should be finishing today”, he said but without any real conviction.

We were informed by someone who should know, that Bona Cepa has closed for good, and that it’s due to be demolished to make way for yet another apartment block. After seeing what’s happening on the Castinets site, how long before Pascolino’s goes the same way. It’s only a single storey building on a very convenient corner and is of course “frontline”. Plenty of room there for another five storey block to keep the developers happy.

[/QUOTE]

Pinewalker,

Really enjoyed your reviews , wouldn't disagree with anything you wrote but maybe a bit harsh on La Fortelesa, find Martin and Pauline really friendly and welcoming all the time we've been there.

However the point of my reply is that the building work has moved on since you were here. Ex Tango site now self contained behind a wall and no cranes around as yet. Castinets is still open to the side but plenty of people enjoying the Daina terrace ( think I would be a bit miffed though if I had a room on that side ). Storm drainage work around Coral completed but awaiting covers for the soakaways. The work around Centrica also complete but no sign of Cafe S'Algar on the corner opening ( what's that all about?? )

On a more positive note heard that Tangos will open at their new site this Friday now. Also the " for rent " sign has come down in Os Cachelos and blinds down , maybe new place this season ???

La Vall is up for rent as well so not a lot of activity there and no sign of life at all at Bar Katy.

Just to reassure everyone that there are still a lot of folk around seeming to enjoy the Port still.

Felt like the first day of summer today, although the swallows were here two weeks ago, today was the first morning of sea plane training and we now seem to have two planes for the season !!!!

Take care BonysLad
Old 21-04-2008, 22:59

Bella

TWO PLANES !!!!!!!

HELP
Old 22-04-2008, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Bella

TWO PLANES !!!!!!!

HELP
Bella, Debs

Yup, read in the local paper that because of the increased fire risk to the Balearics they were basing another plane here in the port.

Chocs away, Biggles !!!!!

BonysLad
Old 22-04-2008, 18:01

Maybe I am going nutty but I thought I saw 2 planes last year? Is this definitely a new development? Was there not a red and black one as well as the usual yellow one?
Did I imagine it?
Old 22-04-2008, 18:26
Super Moderator

Red face poor confused Lala

Lala my luvver you are not losing the plot , Mr Sparky says there were two planes last year.
Old 23-04-2008, 06:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Lala my luvver you are not losing the plot , Mr Sparky says there were two planes last year.
Probably me losing the plot again ???

But have definitely read there's one more of the Focke's this year !!!!!!!

Over and Out.

BonysLad
Old 23-04-2008, 15:49

Thanks Sparky and Mr Sparky - phew thought I was getting that oldtimer's disease!

BL - sure those Fockes were not Messerschmidts? Sorry old joke vbad!

Last edited by Lala70w; 23-04-2008 at 15:51.
Old 23-04-2008, 16:22

To...ahem...get this message back on track I am determined to have proper tapas this year when we visit. In all my years of travelling to Spain I've never had good tapas, so this is the year.

We were supposed to have been going to El Posito for tapas a couple of years ago, but were persuaded to have the shoulder of lamb instead! That was it for the rest of the day!

So, Neptuno it will be for lunch one day!

Jane
Old 23-04-2008, 17:37

We had Tapas in Neptune last September. It was a Sunday afternoon and the square was dead. There were a few locals inside but we had the terrace (almost) to ourselves. We sat in the sun and it was quite peaceful - lovely actually (Hibiscus was closed) We had mainly veggie options and all was good - the padrone peppers were the spiciest I have [I]ever [I] had - just about blew my head off and led to a send bottle of Rosado - whoops!

Well that's my excuse anyway! Lala

Last edited by Lala70w; 23-04-2008 at 17:41.
Old 23-04-2008, 17:49

Sounds idyllic, Lala!
Old 23-04-2008, 19:01
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Best tapas

We had tapas in Coral Bar a couple of times and it was very good. But we always seem to go back to Neptunos, they have a bigger selection and more reasonably priced, plus they know us so we feel the atmosphere is warmer. 10 days and counting.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:34

We had some nice tapas at Naciente one year but they spolit it by assuming that we didnt want our change
Old 23-04-2008, 21:05

Just back from PP today after a week at Hotel Daina. Yep, we had a side view overlooking the building work but honestly it's no big deal. At £25 pppn half board with a lovely room, TV, aircon and balcony etc it's a small price to pay, and you don't have to set your alarm clock as you get woken up at 8-00am every morning!

The Hotel Daina's low cost encouraged us to eat out five nights out of seven so here's a brief resume....

Thursday 17th - Disorderlette and I met up with two friends at Brisa Marina. Always fantasic value. Stuffed mussels, gazpacho and pate starters, paella, lamb chops and pork mains. No dessert but cafe solo and two bottles of Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva make a total bill of just under 120 Euros, and has to be a bargain. NB - Brisa Marina charges exactly half the cost for this wine as Zarzales!

Friday 18th - To La Goleta and one of the best fish soups I can remember. Starters and mains with wine and coffee and a 64 Euro bill for the two of us. No surprise this is a regular haunt.

Saturday 19th - another regular, Las Zarzales. Always a welcome, great service and nice ambiance. The roast suckling pig is a must - sadly this time, it tasted a little "second-hand". Is this an out of season thing? With just a main course and a bottle of El Coto the bill ran to 69 Euros.

Sunday 20th - decided to eat at the Daina. It's the usual buffet stuff but, hang on a minute what's this? Tonight Mr Chef has produced a paella. Sadly I'm the only person who seems interested in it, and that's a great shame because it really was exceptionally good. Not what you would expect from mass catering in a hotel. And for £25 pppn remember!

Monday 21st - you've all been recommending this, so O'Lume it was. At 8-30pm we were the only people in the place but two other tables filled up later. No, it's not gloomy at all! It's a lovely restaurant, with fantastic service. A bottle of Montecillo Reserva 2001 at 15.80 Euros seems something of a bargain and starters of Scallops a la Gallega and Clams (fisherman style - basically a thick fish soup) were very nice, though a bit heavy on the oil in the sauce. Mains of Veal Escolopes and Veal Entrecote were disappointing. I don't like to watch a sauce separate on the plate in front of my eyes leaving oily pools. A steak ordered medium that appears to moo on the plate should not emanate from the most rudimentary of kitchens. It's such a shame - this is a place with so much potential, but I'm unlikely to go back.

Tuesday 22nd - as always our final night is back at Brisa Marina. Two courses (stuffed mussels, chops, mixed seafood), G&Ts, Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva and a bill of less than 60 Euros. I love this place, and the guys that run it are such nice people.

Anyway, I hope I've not bored you to death! To my great surpise we got back to Lancaster to lovely sunshine and finished the day with a glass of wine on the patio with the weather we could only dream of in PP last week!

Now we have to wait seven weeks for our main annual trip of two weeks to PP!
Old 23-04-2008, 23:53

Disorderly great reviews!!

I'm heading straight to Brisas Marina.. Sounds like a deal!!!

Mmm my favourite wine Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva ..in comparison it's expensive at Los Zarzales ( my fave restaurant! ) but peanuts compared to restaurante Siller!!!

Interesting to read your comments on O Lume..I agree with you this restaurant has a lot of potential but in my opinion never quite hits the mark ..
A bit like the Curate's egg