Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 16:53

Default Considering a first holiday in PP this summer

Hi. I'm new.

I recently became a single mum and have daughters aged 10 and 12. I've never taken them on holiday by myself before.

We like swimming, snorkelling, lazing around reading by the pool, pottering around shops and markets and occasionally something a little more energetic like a bike ride.

We don't like places that are scary after dark, English food in all the restaurants, all-night bars pumping out loud music, people begging or pickpocketing, drunks.

I'd like to stay somewhere friendly where my kids might find other children to play with and I might find someone to chat to now and again as well.

Pollensa looks lovely from the pictures I have seen and seems to have lots of devotees. Can anyone give me an idea of how well it might work as a destination for a family like ours?

Many thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 28-03-2013, 17:09

I'm sure you will love PP, one of the few places that I have been where I would be happy to take my two girls out on my own, everyone is so friendly, always someone to chat to. Beach not overcrowded nice lazing reading a book and still being able to see the kids in the sea. Take the plunge and book I'm sure you will be bitten by the PP bug like the rest of us!
sws97sdg and Nick like this.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:20

I can tell you in one word PERFECT. When you describe what you are looking for you are actually describing PP. I would recommend something like the Duva or Habitat apartments as this will give you a chance to do little self catering and enjoy activities both have great pools. and are only a 10 min walk to the beach or hire bicycles and all cycle down there is a cycle path.
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:21
Super Moderator

Hi Georgie and welcome to the forum, i would say that PP is perfect for you and your kids. Just a word of warning though...you mentioned pickpockets and like everywhere in the world they do operate here but if you take all the usual precautions especially in the shops and markets you will be fine .
Old 28-03-2013, 17:26

Gerogie, Re " Scary after dark " Should be no problem as long as you're not there the same time as me and the other half. I do my best but truth be known she does tend to scare animals and children
sws97sdg, Sparky, Tone and 3 others like this.

Last edited by pollensafan; 28-03-2013 at 18:07.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:51

Another good place is Villa Concha in most of travel books TC, Thompson etc, we brought our kids here when they were young they are now 40 but we still come every year and they come sometimes they still love it its like second home.
Very safe clean good places to eat at all prices. the resort is a little more expensive than some but well worth it.
sws97sdg and Sparky like this.

Last edited by snowy2007; 28-03-2013 at 17:54.
Old 28-03-2013, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
Another good place is Villa Concha in most of travel books TC, Thompson etc, we brought our kids here when they were young they are now 40 but we still come every year and they come sometimes they still love it its like second home.
Very safe clean good places to eat at all prices. the resort is a little more expensive than some but well worth it.
Agree 100% been years since we stayed there but always found it superb.
Old 28-03-2013, 19:00

As others have already said, PP sounds like it ticks all your boxes. My wife and I have been going for some 20 odd years now and loved it so much we bought our own place in the town. Our daughter is 15 now and has made loads of good friends there over the years and we've always felt perfectly at ease with her safety - In fact, the word 'Safe' is one that I hear constantly when discussing the port and kids.

The gently sloping, sandy beaches are ideal for snorkelling and there are plenty of places hiring out bikes - with a wonderful, level ride along the sea front, around the bay to the neighbouring town of Alcudia.

If you decide to come, hope you and your girls have a lovely time. From reading your 'Holiday resort wish list', you won't be disappointed!
Sparky likes this.
Old 28-03-2013, 19:44

Smile

Hello Georgia and welcome to the forum. I am also a single mum with two girls 12 and 14. I have been coming to pp for the last 5 years. I have never felt worried, and my daughter's love it. The things we enjoy are chillin in Bellavista, lunch at stay (cant afford to go in the evening ), the Wednesday market, the water park at alcudia, coffee in the square in Pollensa Town, and snorkling to name but a few, the list is endless! We stay at the Flora which is handy for everything, the girls make lots of friends not just english. I always feel very relaxed everyone is very friendly. Getting around is easy, we use either the public bus or taxis. Any questions just ask
Sparky and marilyn like this.
Old 28-03-2013, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
Agree with everything that has been said and Villa Concha is great for the children and its location is ideal.

Eating Out
Old 29-03-2013, 02:30

Thank you so much everyone for responses.

Unfortunately I didn't read them until just now, as I couldn't find my own thread! I wasn't sure which section of the forum it was in.

I made a booking - nine nights in August at Sis Pins Hotel. I was attracted by all the good reviews on Trip Advisor. No pool but I like the idea that it's right on the beach.

...but now I'm worried that maybe it's too small/no pool/all sedate retired people/there won't be enough to do, etc.

I'm really bad at making decisions and very out of my comfort zone doing this kind of thing on my own.

Oh dear, what have I done?

If we get bored, are there places we can go without having to hire a car? I don't think I could cope with the driving on the right thing. Happy to get buses... if they are air conditioned.

Reading this I sound really neurotic... sorry. Thanks again everyone
Old 29-03-2013, 10:03
Banned

I only have 3 words to say,
"go for it" !!!!!!

Old 29-03-2013, 10:26

Hi Georgie. August ~ boring?? No chance! Just pick up tourist leaflets at the port Information cabin to help you with everything from timetables to resturants to help you, and just go with the flow. Enjoy! It will be hard not to!
Old 29-03-2013, 10:28

I never hire a car, you will be only a few mins from the bus/taxi rank. It is easy to get to pollensa town, alcudia (small but good waterpark there), also you can get the ferry to formentor. If you go to Laguna bar/restaurant they have a lovely pool you can use as long as you buy a drink. Laguna is not far from Sis Pins. I know it can be daunting on your own, but dont worry u will have a lovely time and this forum is always here to help
Old 29-03-2013, 10:52

You will be fine, we stay near villa concha but often walk along to sis pins or the pine walk (which is just past) everywhere is in walking distance. As I said earlier everyone is friendly in PP, we are out in August might see you at one of the Forum meet ups. Can recommend the water park in Alcudia as not to big for the girls and easy to get to on the bus from the marina. Have a look on no frills excursions web site will give you ideas of pricing, we did Rancho Grande horse riding last year good night out.
debz1 likes this.