Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Belladonna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 12:44

Default Bulletin Headline - Road Closure

Today's Bulletin online has a headline stating "Safety worries force Pollensa road closure". The story isn't available on the website yet.

Does anyone know what road they're referring to and what the safety worries are?
Sponsored Links
Old 25-03-2010, 13:17

It could be still referring to the closures after the snow - this was posted in the paper on the 13th March;

The school bus system also returned to work as usual.
Some stretches of road were still closed between Arta and Betlen and there were problems of black ice along the road between Bunyola and Coll d’Orient. Part of the Pollensa to the ses Barques view point also remained closed.

As you say though, nothing else is on line at the moment.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:11
Super Moderator

I read this article in the DB last night, it is referring to a road in Pollensa town. This road goes beside a long since defunct carpet factory which is in a very poor state with bits of masonry falling off it. It can't be demolished as it is "listed", the owner wants to sell it but is having a dispute with the council and so is unable to find a buyer.
So because of safety fears the council have closed the road.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:16

Hi Sparky, is that the old building near the bottom bridge going out towards the old sports field

On island time!!
Old 26-03-2010, 10:56
Super Moderator

I have no idea SWS, i don't know Pollensa very well but i am sure someone will be able to tell you .
Old 26-03-2010, 12:34

Thanks Sparky.
Old 30-08-2012, 08:55

Such a shame that buildings are not allowed to be touched for so long, that they get into such disrepair that they then have to be demolished. A very short sighted decision made in the past, leads to a loss of history for the future.

Curtesy of Andrew today. http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.com.es/

Thursday, August 30, 2012
MALLORCA TODAY - Can Morató demolition raised with UNESCO
The Alternativa per Pollença, already in contact with UNESCO's Spanish representative, has said that it will denounce to UNESCO a decision to remove protected status from the old Can Morató carpet factory in Pollensa which would lead to it being demolished.

UNESCO's involvement is on account of the factory falling within the Tramuntana region that has World Heritage Site status from UNESCO. If Can Morató were to be demolished, it is suggested, the boundary of this site could be affected.

The town hall insists that the factory, built in 1922 but abandoned since 1960, is in a state which cannot enable its renovation and restoration.

Last edited by Sparky; 30-08-2012 at 09:20. Reason: Link inserted.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:44
Super Moderator

There is a bit more detail and a photo in the UH, read the full story here:- Alternativa recurrirá ante la Unesco si el Consell desprotege la antigua fábrica de tapices » Part Forana » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca.

Here is some of the article:-

The mayor of Pollença, Bartomeu Encrypt (PP), has asked the Consell de Mallorca to assess the possibility of lowering the plant protection given its advanced state of deterioration. The factory, one of the few remaining examples of industrial architecture of the early twentieth century in the area, is listed, and this has slowed in recent years various attempts to convert it into a hotel or hostel, among other uses.
The last legislature, the City Council opened a file owners urging them to take steps to halt the deterioration of the factory but the order has only been partially implemented with the installation of struts that have allowed to reopen to traffic on a street which gives the factory which was closed for months because of the risk of landslides.
The City Council has the ability to carry out the repairs and to bill the owner, but instead has requested, based on a technical report, a review of the level of protection.
Last week, Alternative contact the coordinator for Spain to Unesco's educational projects, Angel Morillas, during a lecture he gave at the invitation of Unió Mollera Pollencina in Port de Pollença. "When the conference ended with the teacher could talk the mayor intends to declassify a heritage listed as the former carpet factory and told us that if they did this declassification would be possible to report it to Unesco as would be an attack on the cultural heritage of the Serra. "
Old 30-08-2012, 09:54

Thanks for the link Sparky.

There is also talk that the Mayor has hopes that they may be able to retain the facade and renovate the interior. But as this will have to come out of the town's coffers, and it would take a great deal of money to complete, it is unlikely to happen.
Sparky likes this.
Old 30-08-2012, 10:04
Super Moderator

Yes Bella it's a shame but as you say it's all about cost and i am afraid the money is just not there .
Old 30-08-2012, 10:54
Super Moderator

For those of you who may be wondering what this is all about here is a link to posts and some video and pics of the building on the subject from earlier this year :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...s-news-10.html