Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 14:16

Ok, holiday spending money deposited in Nationwide Flex account, as directed by money experts on the forum, a couple of hundred euros in pocket for starters - so where is the nearest bank ATM to get cash from Nationwide stash (we are staying at the Bonanca apartments) ????

Am I better off making smaller daily withdrawls or less frequent bigger ones - I don't think it makes any difference to the Nationwide charges, it should be free?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by stev1em; 13-07-2009 at 14:18. Reason: more text added
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2009, 14:33

Not sure on nearest ATM to you, just make sure it has a Visa logo on it to make sure the providers don’t take any charges, you can get a list of Visa ATM's from their webpage I think. As for drawing out money, I have never been able to get a balance on the account once I am over there, so unless you have a good memory, or remember to keep receipts, make a note of what you have drawn out and so have left, I shall make sure I do this year. Hope this helps.
Old 13-07-2009, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev1em View Post
Ok, holiday spending money deposited in Nationwide Flex account, as directed by money experts on the forum, a couple of hundred euros in pocket for starters - so where is the nearest bank ATM to get cash from Nationwide stash (we are staying at the Bonanca apartments) ????

Am I better off making smaller daily withdrawls or less frequent bigger ones - I don't think it makes any difference to the Nationwide charges, it should be free?

Any advice appreciated.
It makes no difference how much you take out, there are no charges UNLESS you click 'sterling' during the transaction, then you will get the local banks poorer rate. Always do the whole transaction in euros. I tend to stick to 'Telebancos' wherever possible for no other reason than I have done so for many years without any trouble.

The nearest telebanco I can think of to the Bonanca is along the Old Calle Formentor just before you get to JK's?
Old 13-07-2009, 19:42

Just to support Mark's comment, we did one transaction in EUR one in GBP - teh EUR one was a better rate. BUT we weren't organised in time and just used our own bank accounts...

The Royal Bank of Scotland charged us £7 to withdraw £260 and the Clydesdale Bank charged us £9.60!!!!!!
Old 13-07-2009, 23:08

Thanks for the tips guys, so look out for the Visa sign and all transactions in Euros - all we need now is the pound to do its stuff against the euro and give us a bit better value for our "hard earned"!!
Old 14-07-2009, 08:55

On our last visit in June, using our Nationwide flex account card we were getting 1.17 for cash withdrawals, with no other charges. Nothing like the past 1.40 but much better than recently.
Old 03-08-2009, 13:11

OK folks, so what are the best 'in-resort tourist rates' you are all getting now that the bank rate almost touched 1.18 earlier today?..
Old 28-08-2009, 10:59

Just got my Flex account statement for withdrawals in PP from Nationwide, worst exchange rate was 1.157, best was 1.177 from the Colonya Caixa machine in Pollensa no commission, closer to what we got last year year, hard to beat I suggest!
Old 29-08-2009, 22:53

I would agree that the Nationwide flex account is the best option. However I think they are making it more difficult to open an account, ie you may need to have your salary paid in and all your direct debits going through the account.

We returned home today and got 1.13 at the cash machine yesterday but a couple of weeks ago we got 1.16 so it has gradually been going down. So long as you opt to have your transaction done in euros I don't think you can do any better. The only snag is the worry of losing your card or the machine swallowing it so you should always have another card just in case.

Travelex were mentioned elsewhere and it may be a good deal ordering in advance and collecting at the airport but we were standing next to the Travelex desk today whilst waiting for our luggage and the rate was 1.03 - presumably to purchase on the spot!! Also if you order in advance or do it through a bank that offers free delivery, you will be liable for bank charges as you have to use your debit card to make the purchase.

PS: the Post Office are pants! I found First Choice or Thomas Cook would normally offer you a good deal, play one off against the other!! However it is Nationwide all the way for us now.
Old 30-08-2009, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
*I would agree that the Nationwide flex account is the best option.

**Travelex were mentioned elsewhere and it may be a good deal ordering in advance and collecting at the airport.

***PS: the Post Office are pants! I found First Choice or Thomas Cook would normally offer you a good deal, play one off against the other!! However it is Nationwide all the way for us now.
* Definitely has to be a Nationwide Flex account (but as you say it is now more difficult to get the account) for the best rate of exchange (they pay the inter bank rate).

** Unfortunately for people flying from Manchester there is no Travelex desk there (they lost the contract to another company).

*** I found No1 currency (order online) give the best over the counter rate, but do pay cash as otherwise you will be charged for using a debit or credit card. They use outlets like Currency converters and others for collection over the counter (check their web site).

Hope this helps

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 30-08-2009 at 11:01.