Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21

Default Nationwide Cards Update

Just had email from moneysaving expert to tell us that Nationwide has changed its policy of not charging for overseas use.

From this month its adding 0.84% (recovering what its charged by visa) to usage outside Europe. Its still OK to use in Europe for free, but do check:

Matrins Site

for further details of the changes.

Still a good card for PP users.

My FlickR Photos
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47

Thanks for the update Gordon.
We have just got our Nationwide Flex Account and Debit card set up ( already got their credit card ) & are are pleased to note that Europe is still OK.
Keith
Old 04-03-2009, 13:10

Just adding my thanks for the information. Taking advice from members on this site, I opened a Nationwide Flexaccount and used my debit card in PP for the first time last October. Hoping to do the same this year so I'm also pleased to note that Europe is stills fees free. Hope it stays that way.

Linda
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33

Smile

I know u guys r talking DEBIT cards... but I prefer using other ppls money as much as poss! so I have a SAGA credit card (available from age 50) and it has never had any charges in the EU...so if u have reached the ripe age of... have a look-see

Miriam
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31

Thanks Miriam

Its always good advice to check T&C regularly before you make purchases or withdraw money anywhere. In the current financial climate the banks are trying to charge us more all the time.

Martins site has all the details of the current best cards to use, The Post Office seems to be the favourite credit card at the mo followed by the Nationwide and Saga. Unfortunately if you want cash, debit is cheapest.

There is an excellent table showing the "cards from hell!!" and also a table showing the savings made by using Nationwide card against Post office card and the Halifax card which I also have. He keeps it up to date as well.

Its always good advice to have more than one source of money in case anything happens untoward ie losing a card, ATM keeping it etc. Apart from other cards and my wife also having her own, I still have some old fashioned travellers cheques from many years ago as my ultimate fall back if my wallet is lost or stolen!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 20-03-2009, 22:03

On GMTV yesterday Martin Lewis said that Nationwide will be charging a loading fee in Europe from June 1st. Best card will then Post Office credit card.
Old 21-03-2009, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelise80 View Post
On GMTV yesterday Martin Lewis said that Nationwide will be charging a loading fee in Europe from June 1st. Best card will then Post Office credit card.
Presumably you will still be able to use a Nationwide Debit card without incurring any extra charges.

Their flex account is easy to apply for and there is no requirement to have a set amount paid in every month. I usually take both Credit and Debit cards from Nationwide, I use the credit card to pay for purchases, shopping, restaurants, gifts etc and the debit card to draw cash from ATM's. If the loading is just on Credit cards then you could use the debit card to draw more cash to cover the other exoenses. The rate charged is the actual bank rate at the time the transaction is carried out which is much better than any local banks, hotels or money change places.

I have, in the past, used the Post office Credit card but I was charged a % of interest on this, perhaps I drew money from the ATM, not sure what I did wrong but since I have always stuck to Nationwide. I should be getting a bonus from them for all the customers that I have recommended.
Old 21-03-2009, 11:09

Hi whaleywanderer,
Been using Nationwide credit card for abroad for a few years and agree that their exchange rate has always been fine and we will stick with Nationwide.
Always found Nationwide a good organisation to deal with which counts for a lot these days.
As far as I know N W debit card is not subject to charges.
Set up a Nationwide flex account and debit card not long ago to give us greater flexibility abroad - As you say - easy process and easy to operate.
Keith
Old 22-03-2009, 11:51

Why do people use debit or credit cards abroad? I haven't got a credit card, haven't had one for years. I always bring cash, enough to last the 2 weeks and have never had any problems. If an emergency did crop-up, I would then use my debit car.

T
Old 22-03-2009, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollpott View Post
Why do people use debit or credit cards abroad? I haven't got a credit card, haven't had one for years. I always bring cash, enough to last the 2 weeks and have never had any problems. If an emergency did crop-up, I would then use my debit car.

T
As a regular visitor I checked over my Nationwide (CC) statements from 2008 and in all cases the euro/sterling conversion rate was better than I could have obtained using the tourist rates quoted at the time. If I ever take euro from UK I have found M & S offer the best rate local to me although my Spanish bank (Bancaja) give me a better conversion rate for sterling > euro than I can obtain from any UK high street bank or travel agent. Credit cards are great if you pay off every month particularly with Nationwide as you get a better rate as well! As an aside Bancaja have recently emailed me an offer of 4.5% gross interest on sterling deposits.
Old 23-03-2009, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollpott View Post

T
Hi Pollpott

All I suggest is that you compare the exchange rate that you get in England with the bank rate on the day (which is the rate Nationwide work off) and I think you would find that your hard earned cash would go a bit further.

I can understand your reluctance to use credit cards but with a Nationwide flex account you would be using a debit card, all you need to do is transfer money to your nationwide account from your usual bank account before you go.
Old 23-03-2009, 11:47

Thanks Whaleywanderer and Sun Properties. I didn't realise that. I thought you just didn't fancy carrying cash abroad.
I'll have to look at the Nationwide account. In this day and age we need all the help we can get, especially on a pension.
T
Old 23-03-2009, 12:30

Hi Pollpott,

We have, for a long time, taken cash and have taken a Nationwide credit card as well just for occasional ease of use ( and a good exchange rate ) and as a back up in case of emergency.
When we heard about the advantages of a Nationwide debit card recommended by several on this forum we thought it was a good idea as it gives another option to top up our cash from cash mines abroad and we won't need to carry as much cash - which from a safety point of view is a good thing.
Our Flex account/debit card is up and running but we haven't used it yet as we haven't booked this year's Pollensa holiday yet.
We will inject money into it just before the holiday.
Keith
Old 25-02-2011, 21:42

Default Nationwide announces new commision free Credit Card

Well, sort of commision free, for foreign transactions.
Full details here - Nationwide Building Society - Foreign Transactions

If you make a £100 stering purchase, you are able to make a £20 value Euro purchase, commision free. The more you use your card in the UK the more commision free spend you will be able to take advantage of on your hols! Simplez! (I think)

Read the website and you will be as wise as me!

Debated whether to move to Santander for 0% commission when Nationwide reverted to charging last year, but instead took up the Nationwide offer of free travel insurance. I guessed the saving on annual travel insurance costs would balance the commission charges on card purchases. If this new card does what it suggests, then by swapping existing Nationwide creditcard for the new one, plus the free travel insurance, should mean I will be well in pocket.
Of course someone out there will soon pop up and tell me there is a big catch to all this.
One drawback will be this will only work for purchases. Cash withdrawals will still attract commision & interest. The Nationwide Visa Debit card is not included in this new offering from the Nationwide.
Old 27-02-2011, 09:59

Default Its for new customers only ?????????????

Just checked the Moneysavingexpert site as they have a guide to the cheapest way of spending abroad. On there it says that the change in conditions for the Nationwide credit card is for new applications and does not apply to existing card holders who will continue to get commission free purchases (not cash) in Spain. I have emailed Nationwide for confirmation.