Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-09-2008, 16:15

Unhappy Decline in PP

Hi Folks, Just back from 2 weeks in PP and it hurts me to admit the port is in dedcline. Let me say there is no bigger supporter of pp on this site than me but i can no longer ignore what is happening. It is not possible to walk anywhere without side stepping piles of dog mess and as far as i know there are no packs of wild dogs on the loose so it must be down to the owners. All the side streets have bags of rubbish left everywhere because people are to idle to walk to the bins. Even on the front food cartons etc- are left on the sea wall just feet from the bins.Then on my last day to add insult to injury a Mr Bonsall of the residents association wrote in the bulletin of his concern that the road closure on the front would make the side roads more congested.Well i can only assume he never goes down the side streets because if he did cars would be the last thing on his mind. If the problem is not delt with soon it will not be the road closure that stops people going to PP.
Sponsored Links
Old 25-09-2008, 20:32

Thanks for posting that (I think). It's horrible to read this and some of the stuff on the "improve puerto pollensa" thread is sending out a similar message.
Old 25-09-2008, 21:13

I'm sorry to say that you have a point. Whilst many of the streets in PP are a delight, some are truly shocking.

The street that runs past Trotters Bar to Calle St. Joan is an absolute disgrace. The pavements are full of dog "do" and there is a mass of discarded litter in the verges. The local council has spent a lot of money developing a nice area of parkland where the car park used to be (I actually think a car park may prove to be more useful!) only for the local residents to make a true mess of the place.

What sort of people live here? It's a disgrace.

However........there's lots to be positive about and, personally, I'll be back like a shot!
Old 28-09-2008, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
I'm sorry to say that you have a point. Whilst many of the streets in PP are a delight, some are truly shocking.

The street that runs past Trotters Bar to Calle St. Joan is an absolute disgrace. The pavements are full of dog "do" and there is a mass of discarded litter in the verges. The local council has spent a lot of money developing a nice area of parkland where the car park used to be (I actually think a car park may prove to be more useful!) only for the local residents to make a true mess of the place.

What sort of people live here? It's a disgrace.

However........there's lots to be positive about and, personally, I'll be back like a shot!
Hi Disorderly
The parkland you mention was left unfinished because dog mess was everywhere so the council stopped work whilst they consider what to do about it.It may well be local residents that are the guilty party but these people are certainly not mallorcans as the problem is only a recent thing.
Old 28-09-2008, 11:03

Hi Pollensafan and all - sadly I have to say that the problem of the dog mess is not a recent thing. I have been coming to PP for over 30 years and it has always been a problem but getting progressivly worse.

Can anyone tell me if the pavements are still cleaned daily by the little roadsweeping vehicle - thay used to washed down on a daily basis? I do not recall seeing it for a while.
Old 28-09-2008, 18:28

We returned from PP on Thursday and I must agree that parts of the town are a real eyesore.The thing is with the dog mess its the owners who need educating. There was even some on the beach and in the sea and that is not nice at all. I too am a real Pollensa addict but- we had friends with us and I felt positively embarrassed at the litter lying about. Having said all that - is there anything better than strolling along the Pine Walk as the sun rises with the twinkling sea gently lapping the shore - not much.
Missing it already!!
Old 29-09-2008, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Can anyone tell me if the pavements are still cleaned daily by the little roadsweeping vehicle - thay used to washed down on a daily basis? I do not recall seeing it for a while.
The little road sweeper is still around, the men walk along the pavement with a very noisy blower which they use to blow all waste paper etc. off the pavement into the road for the road sweeper to suck up, unfortunately, this method does not seem to remove any solid matter!! However, I have never seen them wash the pavements.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 29-09-2008 at 09:50.
Old 29-09-2008, 14:35

I got back on Friday yes there is dog muck in the side streets but found the front clean and tidy, maybe the rain washed it all away.
Have been going to PP for past 25 years and yes there are changes some for the best some not but overall its still a lovely place to relax and put on weight. Cant wait to return in 2009.
Old 29-09-2008, 15:37
Super Moderator

Well said Snowy. The streets are still a lot cleaner in PP than they are here in Plymouth.