Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree167Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 12:54

Default So quiet

Sitting at Plaza UNO in the square on market day and you can tell that the resort has a considerably lower footfall.Even at night when eating out there is no need to book as we have found that you can get in anywhere.Was talking to a few people who remarked it is so expensive here now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 13:11

Enjoy it while lasts; I'm on my way out tomorrow with the beasts.

First task will be to identify the perfect place to watch England in the World Cup Final on Sunday! Likely to be at the 'Quantity' end of the 'Q not Q' spectrum ...
Old 11-07-2018, 13:17

Default Had to Book in June

Happy to report that whilst in PP for 3 weeks 2/6-23/6 we still had to book for our favourite locally run restaurants as have done for many years. We book 24 hours in advance and more for others, there were 2 nights during our hols that we could not get in the night of our choice. Some restaurants were even turning people away at the peak of the evening.

We still find eating out cheaper and better value than here in Scotland.
PP76, LK1960 and Hanser like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 14:59

I am afraid I have to disagree.I am from Glasgow and think it’s cheaper to eat out at home.Was talking to a Spanish resident that live in Pollensa and he told me that it is too expensive.He told me that the Spanish think the British are all millionaires with an endless flow of money
Old 11-07-2018, 15:22
Super Moderator

In my opinion the Port is definitely much quieter this year. I was talking to a taxi driver on Monday and he said his takings are 40% down on last year.

As far as prices are concerned, the bars and restaurants that i use have not increased charges generally, maybe a few cents on some items.
Old 11-07-2018, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
In my opinion the Port is definitely much quieter this year. I was talking to a taxi driver on Monday and he said his takings are 40% down on last year.

As far as prices are concerned, the bars and restaurants that i use have not increased charges generally, maybe a few cents on some items.
That for me is the definitive comment on the state of tourism this year.

Madam " S " has witnessed many seasons in PP and if you can't take the word of someone that lives there then who can you believe ?

It's a free country of course and someone may want to differ.
If you do let me know in advance and I'll don my tin hat and take cover.
Brave person indeed
Old 11-07-2018, 16:07

Well I'll be out there on Friday, adding to the local coffers. As a recent returnee to PP, I have no experience on recent years, so can't add my two penneth, however I would say that what usually happens when there are more restaurants that customers is that they reduce their prices to attract people. I can't imagine many would be thinking about raising prices in such a climate, unless they absolutely have to.
Old 11-07-2018, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboaby View Post
I am afraid I have to disagree.I am from Glasgow and think it’s cheaper to eat out at home.Was talking to a Spanish resident that live in Pollensa and he told me that it is too expensive.He told me that the Spanish think the British are all millionaires with an endless flow of money
I tend to agree with you up to a point. We live close to Glasgow and I do think there are many more 'deals' to be had. We regularly frequent an Italian in the city centre where you can have 2 courses for less than £10 (including a small glass of wine). Some restaurants in PP offer similar deals especially at lunchtime. On the other hand there are many restaurants which we wouldn't frequent because they are outwith our budget. The same applies in PP but agree with Rockape that I doubt many restaurants in the Port will increase their prices if they are not getting the custom. I would say that prices for eating out in PP have increased very little over the last few years whereas accommodation prices have rocketed. Increases in accommodation prices will keep the people away more than increases in restaurant prices.
Jimbo the Jambo, Rosie34 and Tommo like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 18:21

Sorry if I have offended as Sparky will verify I have been coming here for 17straight years so I have seen a big difference in cost.I suppose to be fair we do not get a great bang for our buck against the pound to euro exchange.In the good old days a pound got you over 1.50 Euro.
Old 11-07-2018, 18:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry if I have offended as Sparky will verify I have been coming here for 17straight years so I have seen a big difference in cost.I suppose to be fair we do not get a great bang for our buck against the pound to euro exchange.In the good old days a pound got you over 1.50 Euro.
I do think that it's the exchange rate which is pushing up the cost to tourists and that is completely out of the control of local businesses here.
PP76, debz1 and clinkham like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 18:45

I think the exchange rate has had a lot to do with how we view the prices in PP

We find the quality of Restaurants very good and service better in most places than anything we get at home

The most expensive place we have been to eat was Sorrento worse than Venice ! We felt we should just tow a cash machine behind us

My brother and sister in Law have just been to Lake Garda and found choice of food very poor Pasta or Pizza She said they paid £60 for just 2 courses for themselves with no Wine ( strange no Wine ! ) so perhaps it isnt just PP that has gone up in price

We did still have to book a table in June unless we went out really early so it will be interesting to see what it is like in September

Still love it more than anywhere else we visit each year
Old 11-07-2018, 20:26

Default It is expensive in relation to the south of the Island

However as a long time returnee (is that a word ?) we made the decision to come just for a week this time instead of two weeks. We will still eat at our fav restaurants and enjoy our time but PP is the loser with folk voting with their hard earned cash to visit other places.

Hopefully the situation with the private apartments will sort itself out providing the local authorities see sense and look again the places like PP that really need this type of accommodation to flourish .

Scotslizzy
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 11-07-2018, 22:04

Quote:
That was so, but it was only down to the fact that around that period you had an exceptionally strong pound against a very weak Euro and it was never going to last.

However if you're talking real value how about the last few years of the peseta. You were getting around 260 to the pound and I remember walking along the front and seeing coffee and cake being offered for around 230. Pesatas.

Happy days in deed
However , you can't put your foot in the same river twice.
Those days are long gone. And now I feel a potential lash of the cat from Madam " S " for straying off topic.
Tangoman likes this.

Last edited by pollensafan; 11-07-2018 at 22:07.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:04

Price is one thing. Value another. PP still great value when everything is taken into account. #justsaying
pollensafan, car77 and Luckyone like this.

Last edited by Shaun&Caro; 12-07-2018 at 09:29.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:34

Quote:
Especially a Scottish pound.

Jimbo
Closed Thread