Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 21:49

Default Mosquitoes

Hi there

Heading back to PP on Sunday and just wondered what the mozzie situation was like- we went in June last year and never got bothered but with going later wondered if situation any different?

Cheers

D
Sponsored Links
Old 21-07-2012, 07:12

Came back on Monday, saw one!!!!!!!! X
Old 21-07-2012, 08:57
Super Moderator

Because it has been so dry there are not a lot but if we have any rain it will bring them out, especially in areas where there are trees and greenery. I would suggest that if you have a problem with mozzie bites it would be best to be prepared with repellent and afterbite .
MairiCladach likes this.
Old 03-08-2012, 21:18

Thanks everyone- sorry for tardiness in replying but didn't have chance to post before I went.

Saw a few mozzies and got a few bites whilst out there but nothing too serious thankfully
Sparky and spammy like this.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:10

Talking Mozzies

What the situation like with these little blighters at the moment?
Old 15-08-2012, 09:15
Super Moderator

There are not many about but it can change quickly if we have any rain, i would advise you to be prepared especially if you have a bad reaction to the bites .
Old 15-08-2012, 09:52

Talking Mozzies

Which cream/sprays do you think are the best ones? Do you think the ones bought there are stronger than the uk ones? My husband does suffer badly but then again I was badly bitten last year and he was ok
Old 15-08-2012, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammy View Post
Which cream/sprays do you think are the best ones? Do you think the ones bought there are stronger than the uk ones? My husband does suffer badly but then again I was badly bitten last year and he was ok
I always take some antihistamine tablets with me just in case.
Old 15-08-2012, 15:52

Piriton is very good to take with you. Not sure if you can buy in Pollensa? Takes the edge away very quickly.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:10

Was out in July beach front no problems last year this year bitten everywhere, had to get a ring cut off as my finger was so swollen. I was even woken during the night with the buzzing, so bring or buy your sprays and creams etc just incase. Did't spoil the holiday.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:26

If you are staying in Puerto itself then bring your own anti mosquito creams etc with you because they will certainly about if we have ny end of summer storms, if this happens then but a large spray of "ZUM" and spray around the insides of all windows and doors, this will stop them entering the property or at least has always been my experience. If you are staying in the rural areas then do the same but close exterior shutters between 4p.m. and say 7 p.m. as these are their incubation times. I was told this by a mallorquin farmer some thirty years ago and believe me this also works, I have only ever been bothered when eating out on terraces. Good Luck and I do not work for the ZUM manufacturers, this stuff also smells very strongly but will disapate after three to four hours.
Old 15-08-2012, 17:12
Super Moderator

I agree "Zum" is very good but you should use a mask when spraying it and then leave the room, the fumes are really strong but the stuff is also good for keeping cockroaches and ants away, it is not cheap either. I have also found that the cheap supermarket sprays work just as well, just give the rooms a good spray before going out in the evening and close the doors.
I found "Autan lotion" is the best repellent, just smooth it on exposed skin before you go out and if you do get bitten an "Afterbite" pen is great or a cheap remedy is vinegar.
lollipop likes this.
Old 15-08-2012, 20:07

Default Be EXTRA prepared!

Just to warn those whose blood tends to be the mossies' favourite nightcap... I returned from PP last Tuesday and was at the GP at the first opportunity on Wednesday. She only had to see one of my ugly bites to turn to her keyboard and start typing a prescription for antibiotics!

This was my 7th visit to the Port and the first time that I had REALLY suffered, in past years either not being bitten at all or just having the odd wee bite which healed quite quickly. This time, I ended up in quite a state with a couple of dozen little (irritating but not toooo bad) and three other bites which ended up as festering sores!!! That in spite of doing all the right things (repellents, antihistamines, hydrocortisone then savlon when the bites became too raw for that!!). I felt pretty grotty with them, sort of fluey and with a dodgy tum to top it all off - obviously quite an extreme reaction, but I just wanted to warn those who do tend to be sensitive to bites and stings to take extra care this year. Hasn't put me off PP of course, I'll just come extra, extra well-defended next time!
Old 15-08-2012, 21:24

Default mozzies

Thanks everyone for our advice, I 'll be off to Boots to stock up. My husband ended up on antibiotics in Greece as his bites were infected and very swollen, it cost us 100 Euros what with all he medicines and the consultations. But it better to be safe than sorry
Old 16-08-2012, 15:09

I find Boots own mozzy repellent very effective, as is Autan. In the apartment we always use the plug in repellents such as Bloom or Fogo as they last for ages and you don't have to keep remembering to spray the bedrooms before you go out