Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 09:49

Default Healthcare

I have a question that some residents may be able to answer (many may not wish to!).

At some point in the near future I plan to move to PP but in the UK I receive prescription drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol and also have to undergo post cancer checks (not nice ones!) ans scans and also diabetes (type 2) check ups and blood tests. Are all of these easy to transfer/set up over there and at what cost?
Tommo likes this.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
I have a question that some residents may be able to answer (many may not wish to!).

At some point in the near future I plan to move to PP but in the UK I receive prescription drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol and also have to undergo post cancer checks (not nice ones!) ans scans and also diabetes (type 2) check ups and blood tests. Are all of these easy to transfer/set up over there and at what cost?
I would be very interested in any responses to Gommar Goffers's questions as I am in a similar position.
Gommar Goffer likes this.
Old 17-08-2017, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pina View Post
I would be very interested in any responses to Gommar Goffers's questions as I am in a similar position.
Pina - It would appear that we are the only unhealthy ones!!
Pina likes this.
Old 17-08-2017, 10:11
Super Moderator

Blood pressure medication is easy to buy over the counter in the pharmacy and it's cheaper than prescription charges in England, it might not always be the same as what you are taking but will have the same effect.
Old 17-08-2017, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post

Hi GG. We were thinking of going to PP for an extended period, maybe renting for 12 months. However, like you I too have health problems and take several prescription medicines and have regular blood tests. As I am of a certain age I qualify for free prescriptons. So I wonder where I stand re medicines because if I had to pay for them Id need a second mortgage.
Anyone have any thoughts on this please? Also will the dreaded Brexit debate affect the situation?
Old 17-08-2017, 12:10

Do you qualify for treatment on the National Health Service in Spain? To qualify you need to work here and pay the Spanish version of NI or you need to be in receipt of your state old age persion. If you do qualify, once you have registered with the health Service in Inca and signed on with a local doctor, you can then get your medication on the National Health for which you pay approx 10% on the full cost. If you don't qualify then I'm afraid it means private medical insurance and paying the full cost of the meds but as Sparky says allot of meds here are cheaper than the prescription charge in the uk.
Gommar Goffer and Tommo like this.
Old 17-08-2017, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Do you qualify for treatment on the National Health Service in Spain? To qualify you need to work here and pay the Spanish version of NI or you need to be in receipt of your state old age persion. If you do qualify, once you have registered with the health Service in Inca and signed on with a local doctor, you can then get your medication on the National Health for which you pay approx 10% on the full cost. If you don't qualify then I'm afraid it means private medical insurance and paying the full cost of the meds but as Sparky says allot of meds here are cheaper than the prescription charge in the uk.
Thanks for that Deanscroft. That clears things up.
Ed. Tommo.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:20

Quote:
Thanks Deanscroft. I am not of pensionable age yet and would hopefully work and thus pay NI. I would hope that the lifestyle may well mean I do not need some of the meds in the future. I guess the main query would be regarding cancer screening i.e. CT scans and other proceedures
Tommo likes this.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:50

The private hospital in Muro:

https://www.medigo.com/en-gb/clinic/...-561e22dce4737

Does blood tests very efficiently and quite cheaply.

I walked in and got an INR done, it cost €12.80 and they e-mailed me the result within 90 mins.

Chris
Gommar Goffer, Tommo and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 18-08-2017, 08:21

Anyone below state pension age thinking of coming out here to work and join the state system should be aware that it works very differently here. Firstly, the National Insurance contribution is a flat sum not a percentage. Last time I looked it was 260€ per month. If you are planning to be an employee then this is what you will pay, however this does cover everyone in your family living at the same address (providing they are not also working). If you plan to be self-employed it gets more complicated as you can't just choose what you want to do and get on with it. You have to register as self-employed and register what it is you intend to work as. If this is a skilled trade or profession you will need to provide evidence what you are qualified to undertake the work. There then comes the question of whether your UK qualification is accepted here. If not you will have to qualify here (in Spanish!!). Having done all that you can now start work, not forgetting to submit your tax returns and VAT invoices (vat is paid on every cent. There is no tax free allowance). As self-employed you will pay the same NI contribution (260€ pm) as an employee but I believe there are discounts in the first years after start-up.
If this all sounds very complicated and very expensive it is probably because it is and is also why there is such a large black economy here. You may feel that it is far easier and cheaper to buy private healthcare insurance and work 'cash in hand', millions of people do. I know that sounds alien to us law abiding Brits but in Spain it is a way of life which appears to go largly unchallenged.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:22

Quote:
Anyone below state pension age thinking of coming out here to work and join the state system should be aware that it works very differently here. Firstly, the National Insurance contribution is a flat sum not a percentage. Last time I looked it was 260€ per month. If you are planning to be an employee then this is what you will pay, however this does cover everyone in your family living at the same address (providing they are not also working). If you plan to be self-employed it gets more complicated as you can't just choose what you want to do and get on with it. You have to register as self-employed and register what it is you intend to work as. If this is a skilled trade or profession you will need to provide evidence what you are qualified to undertake the work. There then comes the question of whether your UK qualification is accepted here. If not you will have to qualify here (in Spanish!!). Having done all that you can now start work, not forgetting to submit your tax returns and VAT invoices (vat is paid on every cent. There is no tax free allowance). As self-employed you will pay the same NI contribution (260€ pm) as an employee but I believe there are discounts in the first years after start-up.
If this all sounds very complicated and very expensive it is probably because it is and is also why there is such a large black economy here. You may feel that it is far easier and cheaper to buy private healthcare insurance and work 'cash in hand', millions of people do. I know that sounds alien to us law abiding Brits but in Spain it is a way of life which appears to go largly unchallenged.
Thanks Deanscroft - I can see that this is going to be a nightmare. I would not need to earn a vast amount to survive so the fixed NI would be expensive - is it compulsory? does it give you pension rights? As it would only be myself private medical insurance might be a cheaper option. I nned to look into the self employment aspect although I do not have any 'real' qualifications. Can you do both?
Tommo likes this.
Old 19-08-2017, 08:54

If you are 'officially' employed or if you are registered self-employed then you will pay the NI contribution which qualifies you for healthcare, benefits, and pension rights, however many people (millions!!!!) choose to work in the 'black' economy. There doesn't appear to be any compulsion to join the 'system'.
Tommo likes this.
Old 16-11-2017, 19:04

I'm interested to learn if you went the private route and which provider.

I am looking at private healthcare providers, such as Sanitas (BUPA), ASSSA and will also ask in my local bank as they offer a provider too.

Any recommendations for private healthcare providers?

Thank you.
Old 16-11-2017, 19:33

I haven't made the move yet but it is imminent so I will be investigating in more detail and earnest once I arrive
Old 16-11-2017, 20:04

These people have competitive rates for those of us who have passed the age of 40 / 50.

DKV Seguros. Health Insurance. Health insurance

Most insurance companies have their own medical insurance, so it may be worth checking with them first.